Another New FD in the Springs

Talk about your Rotaries!
boosted12a

Postby boosted12a » Tue May 06, 2014 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:I have an Optima Yellow Top that I got in 09 and I think it's on it's way out. I've heard they're not very good anymore though, so it's probably a good idea to change brands.

Today was gorgeous. I wish mine was running, I would have taken my Mom along and gone cruising with you.

i never have any issues with optimas using this charging info: To charge a deeply-discharged Optima with a regular charger, you can wire a second fully-charged automotive battery (12V+) to the discharged Optima in parallel (+ to + and – to –). Then hook up the charger to either battery, setting the charger at 10 amps for 2 hours and monitoring it frequently.

When the discharged Optima reaches 10.5 volts or more, remove the second battery and continue charging the Optima until fully charged.

Typically we recommend charging at a relatively low current, such as 2 amps, but when a battery has been deeply discharged, some sulfation of the battery plates may have occurred. However, if you charge at 10 amps, the higher current will help to break up sulfation that may have occurred. If you have an automatic charger, let it run until the charger indicates charging is complete. If you have a manual charger, estimate charging time by multiplying the capacity (amp hours or Ah) of the battery by 1.2 for a rough estimate of charging time in hours.

In most cases, these steps will recover an Optima battery. It’s ok for the Optima battery to get slightly warm during the charging process, but hot to the touch or hissing from the battery indicates a short and the process should be discontinued. If you are able to fully charge the battery, but it gradually loses it's charge (without any loads on it) over 12-24 hours, the battery is probably not recoverable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] GTU Turbo II

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Tue May 06, 2014 9:14

That's nice to know, thanks!

Whenever one of my Optimas die, I try to revive it first. But I ultimately end up taking it back to the store for a free replacement, lol :-)

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed May 07, 2014 9:14

Yeah that's good to know, as long as I have an extra fully-charged battery laying around lol. Or maybe I'll make some long cables and hook it up to the Pathfinder's battery. I think I'm going to take it back this time though and get a new battery lol.

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:14

I'll just put in on another car and take it for a ride. Then hook a battery tender to it for like 2 days.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed May 07, 2014 9:14

I had a battery tender on mine. I'm wondering if maybe it hurt instead of helped.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”