New Project? I do believe so...

Talk about your Rotaries!
D Walker

New Project? I do believe so...

Postby D Walker » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:14

Guess I felt the need for 70's cool, because I made the deal today on Travis's 1976 RX-5 Cosmo. Yeap, ole school mang. The idea here is to come out with something low, cool, screaming 70's boulevard racer. It needs to be fast, shiny, and eye catching.

Now Travis has already got this thing running with a 6-port 13B, Dellorto carby,FC 5-speed, and even an aluminum flywheel and clutch. Starts right up and I believe you could tool around town all day in it. He threw a roto-molded fuel cell in it and a new pump, filter and regulator to keep the carb fed. So mechanically, the car is fine. It will likely get a new LSD and possibly custom rear brake hats/rotors (the rear rotors are almost impossible to find) with Wilwood single piston calipers in the rear and Wilwood Dynalite or similar calipers in the front with again custom hats. There is a possibility that I will add fuel injection and a turbo setup to make it a 6-port turbo instead of the carby NA. The fact that I have a lot of the needed parts laying around make that more likely than not ;)

The body is pretty straight. Its got a little damage in the drivers fender edge where the door obviously got into it, a little rust here and there, but for the most part is amazingly straight for its age. The chrome even looks good!

The interior is, well, beat. The door panels are shot (shocker) and the carpet, seats, and dash are not much better.

So obviously, the interior needs attention. I am thinking Roll Cage to start. Yeap, definitely a nice, tight fitting roll cage. Then replace the current living room quality carpet with lightweight medium grey carpet. Hey, gotta keep it civilized! The rear seats, assuming I keep them, will probably get recovered in a deep red/maroon vinyl, something that screams 70's cool. For front seats, I am hoping to find an old set of Cobra Clubmans or similar thats "period correct", or something cool looking that fits.

The body will get repainted in white. Probably not the "bone" off-white it is now. I am thinking something more... 70's cool! Lay down a pure white single stage base layer- probably PPG Concept- wet sand it down then lay down a intermediate clear with pearl and medium flake along and maybe rally stripes. Not sure on color choice for those, probably jet black but sublime green pearl would seriously pop against pure white metalflake pearl. Once all the detail work is done, wet sand again then shoot it with the finish clear, then sand and buff. Really going for that 70's boulevard custom look in the paint. Have all the chrome polished up, find a set of the fender mounted mirrors, and this bad boy will come to life!

I dig the aluminum wheels already on the car, so will likely just leave those alone and maybe pick up a set of the classic Enkeis for track use.

The suspension has a cool DIY coilover setup already in the front, so other than just tuning it will likely leave it alone initially. I would like to end up with a set of custom valved dampers, fabricated suspension links and possibly a-arms, and who knows what else...

I will post pics after I pick the car up, and might even actually follow through on a build thread for once and post things up as I do them.
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

RXMiles

Postby RXMiles » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:14

I am certainly jealous of the fact that you got your hands on a Rx-5. The project sound great and I am loving the concept.
Give us some pictures to please the eyes.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:14

I really like the bone white.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

RXMiles

Postby RXMiles » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:14

I love everything about the car, it just screams pure 70's rotary joy. I just love rx5, I have been following Aaron Cake's restoration religiously.

Now, what will you use as far as LSD goes?

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:14

I am hoping to be able to use the LSD out of an early RX7 I have laying around, but we will see. Travis welded the rear diff, so its going to get something different one way or the other.
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

vierte

Postby vierte » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:14

Are you thinking of a blow/draw through carb setup if you go turbo or efi?
2003 MazdaSpeed Potege: Wiseco Pistons, Molnar Rods, Walboro 255, Megasquirt Ecu, Front Mount, Daily Driver.
1991 Mazda Rx-7 Convertible: Rebuilt 4-Port Turbo Block, TII drivetrain swap, Walboro 255, Megasquirt, Aeromotive FPR, JIC coilovers, 4" Stainless exhaust, Ticket Getter.
1976 Honda CB750F: Cafe Racer, Powder coated, Rebuilt, re-bearing/bushing, tapered stem bearing upgrade, Garage Project
2014 Silverado: Mazda Support Vehicle
2003 Subaru Forester: What was I thinking?...

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:14

EFI all the way! :)

boosted12a

Postby boosted12a » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:14

bridge port + turbo :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] GTU Turbo II

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:14

Is the first thing I do with the car is to throw it on the dyno?

yeap

millertime

Postby millertime » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:14

Kinda jealous? Nope! REALLY JEALOUS! That thing looks like it will be a ton of fun when you're done! (I swear I didn't mean for that to rhyme)

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:14

how did it do on the dyno?
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:14

Well no numbers yet. With the angle the dyno puts the car at the fuel is too low in the fuel cell for consistent pickup, so I need to add a few gallons to it before its ready to test. Probably tomorrow...

boosted12a

Postby boosted12a » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:14

any update?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] GTU Turbo II

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:14

No real update, the car runs good but I am pretty definitely going to drop a turbo 13B into it, probably with a FD or RX8 trans.
In the meantime I will put it back on the dyno, scale it, and get the bodywork done.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”