The Ẽfini 7

Talk about your Rotaries!
speedjunkie

Re: The Ẽfini 7

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:14

Awww yeah!!!

Jason, the engine has always moved that much. So really it's only that you're seeing it now that it's a big deal haha. Do you need new engine mounts or what?

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:14

My mounts seemed fine at install. I think it is just that the engine mounts all the way back on the rear iron and I'm seeing the coolant cap that mounts off the front of the cover plate so just a tiny flex in the engine mount is like a 1" bob at the front.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:14

Oh ok gotcha. Yeah that could be. Although a 1" difference still seems like a good bit, but maybe not.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:14

That's a huge update! Widebody is probably still a long way off I'm guessing.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:14

This needs updated.

Dwduc

This needs updated.

Postby Dwduc » Thu May 23, 2019 9:14

Work on the house is wrapping up. All inspections are passed! So I'm back to getting this new ecu set up. Last I had tried to use it everything worked well for about 20 minutes then would get massive sync loss issues and I couldn't get it to sequence the turbos at all. Went back over my old work and found that I completely botched the installation of the grounds and it was causing it to backfeed thru all of the circuits!! Stupid rookie mistake with the oem connector getting reversed. So I re-made all my grounds and it's running sweet now! I still have to build a board to run the OMP but it's making progress.
PictureExtractor_23-5-2019-3-23-27.jpg
PictureExtractor_23-5-2019-3-23-27.jpg (210.69 KiB) Viewed 5098 times
Last edited by Dwduc on Fri May 24, 2019 9:14, edited 1 time in total.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu May 23, 2019 9:14

Nice! Which ECU are you using again?

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Fri May 24, 2019 9:14

I'm running the MS3X kit from DIYAutotune. The OMP board I'm building is based on an arduino with a homemade stepper driver. It will compare engine load to OMP position and drive the OMP.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri May 24, 2019 9:14

Ok I figured it was a Megasquirt. Damn, sounds like a lot of work, but it'll be exactly how you want it.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Fri May 24, 2019 9:14

Yeah I like to make things difficult.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Tue May 28, 2019 9:14

The tune is going well. Some small setbacks due to using the stock crank sensors. I'm trying to filter the noise out but they get wacky when hot and cause sync issues, mostly during hot start. I received my latest purchase for it this week and hopefully will be installing this weekend. It's a 2 channel wideband knock signal conditioner. I haven't ordered the sensors yet so I'll just be using the single stock one and start fine tuning.
IMG_20190528_112459.jpg
IMG_20190528_112459.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 5069 times

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:14

Installed the knock module conditioner tonight as well as wiring up the new ECU to control the AC as I've been tuning without it till now and it's getting hawt out!

Car is running great and I'm finally getting into a little boost and getting the tables straightened out on the Speed density tune. I want to get it completely nailed down and smooth before I start incorporating Alpha N into it. also not operating the water/meth injector to keep things consistent.

Just running the stock knock sensor for now but I have two bosch wideband sensors in my Amazon cart just waiting for me to pull the trigger.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:14

I've been driving it to work for the past week on my conservative tune. All good so far, the turbos are super laggy below 3k rpm so something is still wrong with my sequential setup. I'm thinking I might have the pre-spool on/off reversed.

A while back I picked up a set of logic coils from a GM 5.3 for an upgrade to the stock system, I'm finding the RHD creates some mounting space issues so I need to spend some time fabricating some clever bracketry.

Stopped by Littleton Pull n Pay to look for a coil harness to cut up. And everything that would have had an LS or Vortech was stripped bare from the firewall forward! I thought these would be an easy find the way the LS swap community makes it sound.

Early this week I finally wired the AC control into the new ECU and yesterday afternoon was very warm when I headed to work so I tried it out and it wasn't working. It's only early June and it was pretty miserable if the windows were up. I don't know how the AC delete guys do it, that was awful. Hooked the laptop to it at work and saw that I had it all set up but hadn't clicked the little enable box, lol. I gave it a quick test in the parking lot and it seems to be working, but I need to adjust the delays a little bit.

Only other thing is I'm not getting a VSS signal to the ECU. Jacked up the rear wheels and ran the car in gear with a scope on it and got nothing. So it looks like I will have to take the dash apart and see what's going on. The sensor is wired directly to the computer in the cluster and then sent back out to the ECU, so I know the cluster is getting the signal as the Speedo works fine.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:14

Dwduc wrote:I've been driving it to work for the past week on my conservative tune. All good so far, the turbos are super laggy below 3k rpm so something is still wrong with my sequential setup. I'm thinking I might have the pre-spool on/off reversed.

Yeah if the stock twins in sequential are laggy at all, there is DEFINITELY a problem lol.

Dwduc wrote:A while back I picked up a set of logic coils from a GM 5.3 for an upgrade to the stock system, I'm finding the RHD creates some mounting space issues so I need to spend some time fabricating some clever bracketry.

Are the coils not mounted in the same place LHD and RHD? I have my AEM smart coils mounted in the stock location, and considering the LS1 coils are smaller, it shouldn't be too difficult to mount them there assuming it's the same place.

Dwduc wrote:Stopped by Littleton Pull n Pay to look for a coil harness to cut up. And everything that would have had an LS or Vortech was stripped bare from the firewall forward! I thought these would be an easy find the way the LS swap community makes it sound.

Maybe too many fanbois are going the LS route? lol

Dwduc wrote:Early this week I finally wired the AC control into the new ECU and yesterday afternoon was very warm when I headed to work so I tried it out and it wasn't working. It's only early June and it was pretty miserable if the windows were up. I don't know how the AC delete guys do it, that was awful. Hooked the laptop to it at work and saw that I had it all set up but hadn't clicked the little enable box, lol. I gave it a quick test in the parking lot and it seems to be working, but I need to adjust the delays a little bit.

What a coincidence, I just got my AC working again today too lol. Although I'm going to get it leak tested because I think I was out of refrigerant before the compressor even seized up in November.

The first summer I lived here, in 2008, it was pretty cool so I didn't think I'd need AC anyway. Boy was I wrong lol.

What are you using for refrigerant?

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:14

I didn't even consider the stock location. Not sure why other than access kinda sucks. That should work fine though. I just always see them mounted on the inner fender well where my car has the ABS servo.
I wonder if there is just a group of guys that strip every vortech and LS as soon as they come in to part out and sell as swaps.

My car has been charged with 134a since I got it, and that is how it's placarded under the hood. not sure if that is a 94 thing, or Jap thing, or maybe its converted. blows nice and cold tho! I still need to set the delays up right, I get a good stumble when it kicks on before the idle is up.

Took the dash out last night and did some maintenance in there. Rang out the VSS wire from the back of the cluster to the ECU and all is well. So either the cluster isn't sending the signal out or I have something configured wrong in the MS at board level. while I was in there I fixed my HVAC temp knob that was loose, and cleaned up some of the wiring. I will be back in there soon hooking up some accesory switches and buttons for ECU functions in the near future. I have a data log start/stop button and will have a switch to select sequential or non sequential turbo operation.

Found a screw in the passenger rear!! got out the plug kit and pulled the tire and I won the lottery! It didn't puncture!! the head was fairly large like a drywall screw but it was super short and didn't make it all the way in.
IMG_20190608_035500.jpg
IMG_20190608_035500.jpg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 5011 times

My cluster hood has no remaining clips, it had one left until last night when I was installing it popped. So I'm going to be on the hunt for another one of those damn things.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”