Build Thread

Talk about your Rotaries!
speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:14

There is also Taj if he works on his car and finishes building it, Vince if he ever makes it out again, FDEEZ (even though he's not rotary lol), Billy D (he's never actually shown up), Cody, Justin, Seth's old RHD FD which apparently is owned by his friend Midnight now, Justin with Oscar's old FD, and Ivan Jr. if he ever gets his finished. The two guys you haven't met yet are Chase and Ryan. They were the ones that Bobby brought by the other night. That puts us at 20 that we have at least met.

Then there are a few others around town we haven't met yet. Might not ever meet lol.

millertime

Postby millertime » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:14

Damn, I think there might be more FD's in the Springs than in Denver.

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:14

I need to check but I MIGHT, and keep in mind it is a MIGHT have an extra ev14 connector in storage. I will look after work and check. Will let you know.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:14

The EV14 connector won't work for the 2000cc injectors I have. They take a Denso plug that is like the ID2000's. Even though they are EV14's, they are different. Don't ask me... Thanks though.

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:14

don't have it anyway. I also don't have the ev14 kind, I had the ones you are describing.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:14

So, I'm still trying to figure this issue out. It turns out that the injector plug was not an issue. I did have it wired backwards, but from everything I have read, that shouldn't matter.

I did a quick check of my front secondary injector (easiest to get to) resistance across the coil and got 8ohms. Assuming all of the new injectors are 8ohms, that could be my problem. Apparently 8ohms falls into the Low Impedance category and 12-16ohms is generally considered High Impedance. The PFC doesn't like the Low Impedance variety from what I can gather. However, I'm not sure if the primaries are Low Impedance or not. I'll have to pull the UIM to get to one and find out.

I'm fairly certain I ordered High Impedance injectors and am assuming they just sent me the wrong ones. Do Low Impedance EV14's even exist?

Feel free to chime in if anyone has any suggestions. I don't have any experience with injector impedances and such with the PFC. Like I said though, I'm pretty sure I need High Impedance.

I've also read that simply adding resistors to a low impedance injector is not a good idea. Apparently it makes the injector misbehave, lag, etc.

So at this point, it looks like I'm going to have to take off the UIM and check the resistance of all the injectors and return them if necessary.

Someone please stop me if I'm way off here...

millertime

Postby millertime » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14

I ran resistors on low impedance injectors for a while and didn't have any problems, that was the old school way of doing it and people were doing it for the low impedance 1680s for years and it worked for the most part. Honestly this is exactly why I switched to the Injector Dynamics injectors, it was worth the cost for the simplicity (plus the extra fuel capacity was needed so it only made sense). I knew what I was getting from Paul at ID and I knew it would work, I don't know anything about the EV14s though.

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14

Bosch EV14's are Injector Dynamics injectors.......ID just does some tests with them, marks them way up and sells them at a hefty profit. same injector.

Geoff is running into a weird problem. sounds like its a bad injector or he was sent something incorrectly. I went through the same supplier with the same injectors, etc and my set run great.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14

Injector Dynamics are EV14 injectors you mean lol. I know it's pretty obvious that not all EV14s are ID injectors, just figured I'd make the distinction. ID uses EV14s and does flow matching, etc. I couldn't tell you if they're all high impedence though, which is what our cars need, and the main reason I switched. I was using an FJO injector driver though (not resistors).

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14

Yea, right off the bat I see a problem with that front secondary injector being 8ohms. It should be about 12.6ohms. I'm going to take the UIM off here in a few hours and check the resistance of every injector.

I'll update tonight with what I find.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14

Do you have an old set of injectors you could install to see if the car will run?
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:Do you have an old set of injectors you could install to see if the car will run?

different fuel rail, cannot install old injectors. the old injectors resistance is 13.5ohms or so.

$crillaTor

Yea, I did a whole fuel system upgrade.

So... my primaries both measure 11.8ohms. The secondaries both measure 8ohms...

Even the primaries aren't in line with the EV14 which is supposed to be 12.6ohms.

WTH?!?!?!?

I'm going to smell like gas for a week...

I'm stumped by the 8ohm 2000cc injectors. I figured an injector should be either Low or High impedance. Low is considered .5 - 6ohms; high is considered 12-16ohms... WTF is an 8ohm injector for??

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14

You know I can get injectors tested locally?
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

$crillaTor

D Walker wrote:You know I can get injectors tested locally?

Good to know, thanks!

On a separate note, I am wondering about the Fuel Injector Atomization vacuum hose. I have it connected to the turbo side of the IC piping. I did this according to a diagram that many have used successfully. Is that right though? Should it just be capped off?

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”