Build Thread

Talk about your Rotaries!
$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:14

I have one more bracket to make for the oil coolers. They are mounted up right now with a side bracket that holds top and bottom of the coolers. I just need to make one more top bracket that holds the top of the cooler on the other side. (If that makes any sense at all...) I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Intercooler piping is done. I didn't get it all welded together, that will come later down the road.

I have a plan for the intake, but I need to start the ducting before I move forward with it. The intake kind of needs to be done simultaneously with the ducting for my plan.

So this is what I have left:

- I'll finish the oil cooler mounting tomorrow.
- Wednesday I'll finalize the oil cooler installation when I get the adapters needed.
- Thursday I plan on starting the ducting by mocking everything up with poster board.
- Friday I'll get some flashing and start cutting out the pieces I mocked up in poster board.
- Over the long weekend I will finalize the ducting and intake.
- Hook up a few vacuum lines, put everything back together and fill it up with fluids.

If my plan holds (which given my track record with this project...), I will be ready to start the thing after the weekend.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:14

I suck at updating this thread...

Well I'm really close. I got most of the duct work done. I mounted the bumper and have to finish the ducting to the bumper. Then I have to install my AST and that is it!

I'm not really happy with how my ducting has turned out. It looks pretty bad, but it should work. I will have a winter project of re-doing all of the ducting. I'm thinking about going the route of fiberglass or something similar to make it all look good and clean.

I'll post some pictures of my ghetto-rigged ducting tomorrow.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:14

It can't possibly look worse than my ducting LOL. You'll be fine. No one will see it anyway. Although I will say I plan to redo mine someday too, so I get where you're coming from lol.

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:14

as long as it works, no one will make fun of you.....we all aren't sheet metal fabricators here.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:14

Exactly. No one has made fun of mine, but I still plan on making them purty lol.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:14

Here are some pics:

Andy and I started the car today but ran into some issues. The thing is rich as hell and no matter what adjustments Andy did to the map, we could not lean it out. It was acting like the 2000cc injectors are on the primary rail instead of the secondary, but after doing a bit of research, I don't think that is the case.

So now I'm thinking it is wiring related... I did re-do that engine wiring harness, and I'm hoping I didn't F something up, but it is really looking that way. It's like the injectors are constantly 'ON' no matter what. If I have to pull that harness out, I'm probably just going to buy a new one...

Any ideas? Anything I should check before ripping out the friggin harness?

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:14

First, the setup looks really good! I dig that cold air box for the filter.

What did you do with the harness? Didn't you just pull the wires you don't need to make it a single turbo harness? I really doubt you messed that up. Unless...if I remember right there are a few wires that go together and then to a ground. Maybe you messed that up somehow? I really don't think that's the case though. Although I couldn't tell you what it is.

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:14

I assume you clamped down those hoses after the intercooler (your pic doesn't show it)...but other than that, have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Also, can you disconnect your secondaries to see if that's the problem child? Last, how do your spark plugs look like?

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:14

I sent you a PM. Another thing I forgot to ask was, are your injectors high impedence injectors?

Also, did you in fact verify that the company that sent you the injectors are in fact 650CC primary injectors?

His car was running DOG rich, so rich that fuel was coming out of the turbo/exhaust downpipe.

I leaned it out to the max on the map, and also used negative injector lag and still no luck. This would not happen with normal 650CC high impedence injectors.

The injectors do hold pressure when the car is shut off. The FPR is set to 40PSI with the vacuum hose disconnected, with vacuum hose connected it reads about 38PSI. so the engine is pulling vacuum, and the fuel pressure is in the ball park of where you want to be.

Either the injectors are the problem, what is driving the injectors is a problem, or he has a bad coil (not firing the mixture), something is blocking the airway into the engine causing way too little air to get into the engine, TPS might be off (looked ok, car idled smooth without backfiring, just super rich), perhaps the wiring is backwards (primary/secondary wiring swapped).

I am seeing readings for water temp, air temp, etc which if these were no reads could cause problems.

One thing I didn't verify that now sticks out in my mind is I didn't look at the injector duty cycle, typically during idle the injector duty readings are in the single digits (4-6%) or so. if we are seeing something a lot higher then that could be a sign, or something way lower could signal a much larger injector.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:14

FDEEZ wrote:I assume you clamped down those hoses after the intercooler (your pic doesn't show it)...but other than that, have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Also, can you disconnect your secondaries to see if that's the problem child? Last, how do your spark plugs look like?

Yes, I clamped those down.

Disconnecting the secondaries was something I had in mind. Good call.

The spark plugs are fairly new, less than 300 miles on them. I haven't inspected them since yesterday. I'm sure they got soaked with fuel pretty good.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:14

lOOkatme wrote:I sent you a PM. Another thing I forgot to ask was, are your injectors high impedence injectors?

Also, did you in fact verify that the company that sent you the injectors are in fact 650CC primary injectors?

Honestly, I don't remember. I'm certain I bought the ones that don't need any additional resistors or anything like that. I bought them from http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.com. Unfortunately, they don't send any email confirmations of the order or anything like that, so I can't look up exactly what I got. I have to rely on emails or phone calls with 'the guy' there. I've sent him an email asking him the details, but haven't heard back yet. I'm going to call him when I get a chance today.

I know the 'bags' they sent me the injectors in said 650cc and 2000cc. From what I have found online, the 650cc injectors use the standard EV14 plugs, black. The 2000cc injectors use a gray plug which is standard for the ID injectors. Gray ID plug on the 2000cc secondaries and black EV14 plug on the 650cc primaries, which is how I have them setup.

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:14

What are you using to tune with?
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:14

D Walker wrote:What are you using to tune with?

powerfc, fc edit, datalogit.

I tuned his car last year and it ran just fine except he had turbo control problems with the stock twins.

I have tuned my car and also Jesse's and ours run very well. I tuned Oscar's car with 850CC primary injectors and used negative injector lag to get it to idle well and leaned to where it needs to be.

His car is dumping fuel. Its not like any of the other cars I have tuned. Something is going on.

Geoff, Let me talk with Jesse and perhaps we can stop by and help you fix it. He is pretty knowledgeable about the electrical/harness/physical connections with the rotaries. He has built like 10-20 rotaries, when I tuned his car he had super low knock and we got the thing to run very well.

We can do some tests. I wouldn't just start buying things, we need to figure out what is wrong first.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:14

Looks like I found the issue. I unplugged the front secondary injector, the car started, idled at about 14afr for a bit (lean), died, and then wouldn't start. We have the map in there that has the fuel WAY leaned out so that injector was probably just wide open dumping fuel.

It occurred to me that I did have a problem with that injector plug when I re-did the harness. The metal pins would just fall out of it. The plastic ears that hold in the metal clip were broken. I thought I 'fixed' it, but I guess not. And I probably ended up putting the wires in backwards at the same time...

I just ordered a new pigtail so hopefully that'll fix the issue!!

lOOkatme

Postby lOOkatme » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:14

I sure hope so. We need you up and running for the group. You know there are (2) more FD's in the area now as well.

Next year could be epic for the springs if everyone get's running. Could have

those (2), me, you, erik, zico, jason, jason, jesse, bobby, his brother, his dad, and maybe 1 or two I am forgetting.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”