Emissions Help

Talk about your Rotaries!
FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Sat May 03, 2014 9:14

JZstl wrote:I wasn't sure if those tricks would be 100% applicable for rotarys too. I did have the engine fully warmed up, when I tested, but no luck.

On my '84 GSL-SE, I had all cats removed except for the main one. After some "spirited" driving to get that cat nice & hot, it passed California emissions with flying colors.

How "warm" is your car when they conduct the test? Here's how my metallic cats look on my FD after some "spirited" driving.

JZstl

Postby JZstl » Sat May 03, 2014 9:14

Gotcha - I drove it maybe 5 or so miles - with several runs through 2nd and 3rd gear. I can't exactly say how hot it got, but I would imagine it was at least normal operating temperature. When I had to pass with my Eclipse, I ran it on the highway for a bit and got on boost frequently in a 20 minute drive. Think simply a harder "warm up" might make the difference?
John Z
04 RX-8 Velocity Red 6-Speed

Past Rides:
05 Scion TC
04 Pontiac GTO
95 Eclipse GSX
96 Eclipse GSX

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat May 03, 2014 9:14

RXMiles wrote:I don't think you can do that anymore. As far as I know you must reside in the county in order to register now.

I hadn't heard that. Well, I guess OP can "live" at my place lol.

JZstl wrote:
If anyone wants to text/call options to meet for the weekend, feel free (618) 920-1924 - I'm from Illinois originally, local now.
Thanks, John

Shut up. You're from 618? What town? I'm from Pinckneyville, and that's where my car is registered lol. From your screen name, I'm gonna guess somewhere closer to St Louis. Belleville? Nashville?

JZstl

Postby JZstl » Sun May 04, 2014 9:14

Haha - no way! I'm actually from Alton/Godfrey - just north of St. Louis. Well we have to get together then. You have a super clean FD!
John Z

Past Rides:

05 Scion TC

04 Pontiac GTO

95 Eclipse GSX

96 Eclipse GSX

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon May 05, 2014 9:14

Yeah I've been to Alton a couple times. LOL small world. Pinckneyville has the 618 area code too. Yeah we need to meet up. I'm trying to get my car running again right now. Thanks!

I know Matt Trebacz from the St Louis area, do you know him? He's in the rotary group there, and he came out here to see family a couple years ago and stopped by my place. I was supposed to drive to Deal's Gap with that group last year but it didn't pan out. I also met a couple rotary guys in Springfield, MO, too.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:14

If you want to meet up sometime to poke around let me know. Just shoot me a text. I'm free any day after 4 accept Wednesdays.

7/937-5834
Jimmy

ImageImage

JZstl

Postby JZstl » Tue May 06, 2014 9:14

Right on, let's go with this Friday if anyone is available. I'm cool with meeting here in Parker, or if anyone wants to host at their place, that might work better because I don't have a garage. Anyone willing?
John Z

Past Rides:

05 Scion TC

04 Pontiac GTO

95 Eclipse GSX

96 Eclipse GSX

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:14

I don't have much room in my garage for a lot of people. As long as I can get my sister to move her mustang into the street I'll have my blue 8 on one side of the garage and a empty spot on the other. Garage is a mess FYI. I'll be pulling my turbo out Thursday and if I don't put it back together that same night (most likely not) I'll be doing that Friday after work. You're welcome to swing by. North Side of Washington Park.

ImageImage

JZstl

Postby JZstl » Tue May 06, 2014 9:14

I'm down - I should be good to go sometime in the afternoon/evening. I can shoot you a text when I'm on my way?
John Z

Past Rides:

05 Scion TC

04 Pontiac GTO

95 Eclipse GSX

96 Eclipse GSX

JZstl

Postby JZstl » Sat May 10, 2014 9:14

** Update**

Wasn't able to meet up last night due to my phone randomly not working - got that fixed. As I was driving home from that, I had a more major issue with the car.

The car was fully up to temperature and I had been driving for a bit when I needed to merge onto a relatively busy street. I gave it some gas and I left it in first gear until 6.5k rpm when I felt a loss in power and I looked in the review mirror and saw a good amount of smoke. I was less than a half a mile from home, and as I shifted through the gears the smoke lessened and the car seemed to be running reasonably fine. Temperature and oil pressure gauges were both fine with no check engine light on. I made it home fine and my somewhat trained eye didn't notice anything major was wrong under the hood. I was curious what would happen if I started it this morning, and another major cloud of smoke came out the exhaust and it didn't sound or feel right. I immediately turned it off and that's where it sits right now.

Obviously this is a tough spot to be in... As I see it, I'm betting it would be more harmful to drive it anywhere, leaving me 3 options:
1) Tow the car to a Mazda dealership and hope they can fix it and no doubt pay an arm and a leg (Groove Mazda is the closest).
2) Tow the car to anyone from the forum's house, garage, shop, or wherever and hope to fix things with someone's help for $, but less than an arm and a leg.
3) Leave the car here and hope someone from the forum can come here (my townhome in Parker) and take a look, and see if at least some of it can be fixed in the parking lot.

Not sure what exactly to do... I will spend some time searching rx8club and maybe come up with some semi-educated guesses as to what's going on.

Thoughts/opinions welcome!
John Z

Past Rides:

05 Scion TC

04 Pontiac GTO

95 Eclipse GSX

96 Eclipse GSX

White TII

Postby White TII » Sat May 10, 2014 9:14

RXMiles wrote:I don't think you can do that anymore. As far as I know you must reside in the county in order to register now.

speedjunkie wrote:I hadn't heard that. Well, I guess OP can "live" at my place lol.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone confirm this? I need to re-register my car here pretty soon, and there's no way on God's green earth I will ever pass emissions again. I live in Denver.

I just googled around a bit, and so far, I can't find anything that overtly says you must register your car in the county of your residence.
SOLD: '90 Mazda RX-7 S5 FC Turbo II - Heavily Modified: V-Mount, Big Turbo, AEM Standalone, etc - Mods
Daily Driver: 2000 GC6 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Sedan. Stock, Blue Ridge Pearl.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:14

White TII wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone confirm this? I need to re-register my car here pretty soon, and there's no way on God's green earth I will ever pass emissions again. I live in Denver.

I just googled around a bit, and so far, I can't find anything that overtly says you must register your car in the county of your residence.

From my understanding if you have a mailing address in another county where you "reside" in you can use that. You don't need to prove you live there. So if you have family or friends that live in a non emissions county then you can ask to use their address.

ImageImage

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon May 12, 2014 9:14

Alright, I'll give you my address to use. lol

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Tue May 13, 2014 9:14

GR-8 wrote:From my understanding if you have a mailing address in another county where you "reside" in you can use that. You don't need to prove you live there. So if you have family or friends that live in a non emissions county then you can ask to use their address.

Technically (although I haven't heard of anyone getting nailed with this) if you drive the car in an emissions area 90 days or more a year (such as commuting for school or work), you are required to pass emissions.

White TII

Postby White TII » Wed May 14, 2014 9:14

GR-8 wrote:From my understanding if you have a mailing address in another county where you "reside" in you can use that. You don't need to prove you live there. So if you have family or friends that live in a non emissions county then you can ask to use their address.
That's kind of what I've assumed. I mean, what's to stop someone from just registering their car to some random address and forwarding their mail? Again, since you don't have to prove you live there, doesn't seem like it'd matter. But I also don't want to break the law. I might just have to bite the bullet and do some more research... (and the peasants rejoiced)

speedjunkie wrote:Alright, I'll give you my address to use. lol
Lol, thanks

Brigdh wrote:Technically (although I haven't heard of anyone getting nailed with this) if you drive the car in an emissions area 90 days or more a year (such as commuting for school or work), you are required to pass emissions.
Huh, that's really interesting. Since my RX-7 doesn't run for 90 days in a year, I doubt I'd have to worry about that. :p Though that seems odd, because if you were commuting to Denver from the Springs or something you'd have to pass emissions in Denver even though you live in the Springs. Though the way the government works rarely makes sense.
SOLD: '90 Mazda RX-7 S5 FC Turbo II - Heavily Modified: V-Mount, Big Turbo, AEM Standalone, etc - Mods
Daily Driver: 2000 GC6 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Sedan. Stock, Blue Ridge Pearl.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”