What engine management does your Wankel use?

Talk about your Rotaries!
RXMiles

What engine management does your Wankel use?

Postby RXMiles » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:14

Being heavily obsessed with my rx7's I want to add a full standalone before moving in any other direction with my build in regards to additional engine modifications.

For a while now, Adaptronic has had my attention with the plug&play ecu they have available for the FC s4 or s5.

Megasquirt is an all time favorite, low cost but must be built from scratch.

Rtek is low cost, plug&play, mildly capable but limited to the AFM and other parameters.

What do you have?

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:14

I have had a Power FC for a few years now but switching Adaptronic.

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:14

Its not really accurate to claim megasquirt must be built from scratch these days. Many places like https://www.diyautotune.com/ will sell you a fully assembled kit. The only complicated part tends to be converting the MS wiring connections to the harness you are using, if a patch kit isn't available.

I've used AEM, Haltech, and MS on various non-rotary projects.

In my experience, MS is finicky. It'll work at a basic level, but its difficult to fine tune that last 5% of polish.

AEM is nice, but I'm not a fan of how their software is setup, it expects a certain mental model that doesn't quite make sense to me. AEM also seems to be slow to evolve, which means you may be figuring out some way around a limitation because what you want to do isn't directly supported.

Haltech is pretty nice now, but their older products had some issues which seems to have sullied Haltech's reputation with some folks.

For the most part, the basics of an EMS are the same. The differentiating factor between various solutions tends to be the support, software, and advances feature list.

RXMiles

Postby RXMiles » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:14

Brigdh wrote:Its not really accurate to claim megasquirt must be built from scratch these days. Many places like https://www.diyautotune.com/ will sell you a fully assembled kit. The only complicated part tends to be converting the MS wiring connections to the harness you are using, if a patch kit isn't available.

I've used AEM, Haltech, and MS on various non-rotary projects.

In my experience, MS is finicky. It'll work at a basic level, but its difficult to fine tune that last 5% of polish.

AEM is nice, but I'm not a fan of how their software is setup, it expects a certain mental model that doesn't quite make sense to me. AEM also seems to be slow to evolve, which means you may be figuring out some way around a limitation because what you want to do isn't directly supported.

Haltech is pretty nice now, but their older products had some issues which seems to have sullied Haltech's reputation with some folks.

For the most part, the basics of an EMS are the same. The differentiating factor between various solutions tends to be the support, software, and advances feature list.

Now that I sold my bike and have worked over 140 hours the last two weeks I should be able to afford a standalone unit. I somewhat like the MS-3 specially after seeing Aaron Cake's cosmo build it seems capable enough.

Now I think Adaptronic has tremendous support, specially on the RX7club forum but I have read it comes with it's limits. I want something that will last a while before having to upgrade. My test bench will be the GTU after I find a healthy swap for it.

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:14

Not a fan of MS-anything

Really like AEM, done a lot of work with them over the years and believe they have the best customer support and the most user friendly product.

Motec is awesome but expensive

Haltec is not awesome
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:14

Been running a Moates Roadrunner w/ EFILive on my FD for a few years over here. Great emulator combo IMFO.

You just need all the supporting mods to use it ;)

millertime

Postby millertime » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:14

I had the PFC for a while but when I went to large primary injectors I never could get it to run right. Gave Don my car and an AEM box and he seems to have it running like a top. Thought about the Adaptronics for a while too but got a deal on the AEM so went with that.

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:14

I would go with Haltech 1000 because I have one and I love it !! lol

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”