Looking for RX8 help in Parker area.

Talk about your Rotaries!
Waxsway

Looking for RX8 help in Parker area.

Postby Waxsway » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:14

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and quite frankly new to Colorado. Been here about a month.

Anyways, I may need some help with my 04 RX8. I flooded it without knowing and left for 4-5 days and came back and discovered it.

After attempting the DIY Deflood procedure, I drained the battery a bit and had my buddy hook up the jumpers from another vehicle and as soon as I turned it on, the battery cut out and now there hasn't been electrical power whatsoever since. (WIndows, Locks, Dash lights, meters, radio, horn, brake lights, etc).

I cleaned the terminals and the connectors to the battery with baking soda/water and tried again but to no avail. I then check the Main Fuse which seemed to be brand new.

Here's where I just created my next problem (:lol:). As I was pulling out the Starter Relay I pulled to hard and it flung from my finger tips and into the never ending abyss under the hood somewhere.

The Starter Relay had been cracked and a piece of the plastic housing was missing (fairly large piece). I was wondering if maybe water got into it and caused this to happen or just burn a fuse somewhere down the line?

Any advice or if someone is in the Parker and surrounding area that would be willing to help in any way, shape or form would be greatly appreciated. I am stuck.

Thanks everyone!

millertime

Postby millertime » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:14

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:14

I do a lot of RX-8 service and repairs, and can probably help. Not really close to Parker though.
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:14

I get back from Brazil Tomorrow night. I may be able to help next week sometime. The relay may be on the plastic under tray, you may be able to see it if you pull down the end closer to the motor.

Any time after e works. I will be getting some days off for once so I may be able to help sometime during the day.

ImageImage

millertime

Postby millertime » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:14

GR-8 wrote:I get back from Brazil Tomorrow night.

If that means what I think it means, I kinda hate you...

Learjet45

Postby Learjet45 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:14

millertime wrote:If that means what I think it means, I kinda hate you...

Jimmy is indeed in Brazil at the World Cup. Hate away.
[color="Blue"]2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i PZEV - Current Ride, 100% stock[/color]
[color="Gray"]2005 Mazda 6i Pebble Ash Metallic - Dead[/color]

Waxsway

Postby Waxsway » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:14

GR-8 wrote:I get back from Brazil Tomorrow night. I may be able to help next week sometime. The relay may be on the plastic under tray, you may be able to see it if you pull down the end closer to the motor.

Any time after e works. I will be getting some days off for once so I may be able to help sometime during the day.

That'd be awesome man.

Quick update though. When I unplug the 60a fuse and plug it back in (the one connected to the Positive battery terminal) the power kicks back on in the car but as soon as I try to start it it cuts the power again.

I had some random mechanic who seemed to know nothing about rotaries come and look at it. He then proceeded to tell me the timing belt was broke and it has no compression whatsoever, which is false. I told him I flooded it and then he told me "No, you're wrong. RX8s can't flood because they're fuel injected". I just nodded it off and laughed in my head.

He also said that the battery connectors were shit. Do you think if I replaced them it'd fix the problem I'm having when trying to start?

If I can just get past that, I can start the deflooding procedure again. :)

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:14

Your battery connections probably are crap, and cleaning them and making sure they are tight will likely fix your problem.
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7

RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

Waxsway

Postby Waxsway » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:14

D Walker wrote:Your battery connections probably are crap, and cleaning them and making sure they are tight will likely fix your problem.

I did this and everything is in top shape.

Only slight cause for concern is the battery light came on and stayed on the whole time I had it running. I then turned the RX8 back on later in the evening and left it running, and the light was still on.

The RX8 starts fine though, any thoughts why that light wont go out?

Rotorhead

Postby Rotorhead » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:14

I would ask this question at rx8club.com, they have a wealth of knowledge and people who could help better if you are still having the same issues. Also if you are having flooding issues, there are a few things you will NEED to look at quickly before your CAT is destroyed. I would start with replacing the battery as it may not be spinning the starter fast enough and seems to be an issue already. You should check and see if the updates have been done to your 2004 from Mazda (better starter, new battery and reflash) all done to help stop the flooding issue. Compression test is a good thing to do when you have flooding issues. I would replace your plugs, coils and wires (depending on the last time they were replaced) as they need to replaced every 30k miles and poor spark will cause flooding as well (if you have the cash, I would upgrade to the BHR coils, they will last the rest of the cars life). There is a reason it is flooding, and not fixing it can lead to more costly issues quickly. There are a couple links for new Rx8 Owners (not saying you are new) that is very informative. Make sure you search before posting questions though, they can be assholes about asking questions that have multiple threads.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:14

We are more than capable of helping here. RX-8 club is a great source of information if you search for people that have similar issues. Other than that posting can be useless. It's gotten better since a few key members there have left but people still are douchy there.

There is nothing better than actually having hands on help if you want to fix the problem yourself and a local site is best suited to get that.

ImageImage

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”