Rocket Bunny.. GO!

Talk about your Rotaries!
D Walker

Postby D Walker » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:14

Motor is out and just disgusting, seems to have leaked something from everywhere at one point in time or the other. Tomorrow I will break the motor down and see what can and cannot be used and clean up the nasty bits. Should probably fill the parts cleaner up and let everything soak for a day or two, but we will see how bad it really is. Fortunately in going through the parts laying around on the shelves in the shop a complete set of housings, irons, rotors, e shaft etc was found, and so a short block can be built up no matter what.

So its decision time. To go single or not? Change the IC setup or leave it more or less alone? Already decided to replace the existing crappy pipes with nicer stuff, so not really a big deal to change over to either a FMIC, SMIC, or WAIC. Lots of options but not a lot of time, so I need to figure things out pretty quickly.
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

millertime

Postby millertime » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:14

If you go single what are you going to do about emissions?

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:14

yea not really sure...
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

millertime

Postby millertime » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:14

Lol. Nor am I. I'm thinking I will just register it with my family that live in an area that doesn't have emissions testing.

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14

D Walker wrote:Motor is out and just disgusting, seems to have leaked something from everywhere at one point in time or the other. Tomorrow I will break the motor down and see what can and cannot be used and clean up the nasty bits. Should probably fill the parts cleaner up and let everything soak for a day or two, but we will see how bad it really is. Fortunately in going through the parts laying around on the shelves in the shop a complete set of housings, irons, rotors, e shaft etc was found, and so a short block can be built up no matter what.

So its decision time. To go single or not? Change the IC setup or leave it more or less alone? Already decided to replace the existing crappy pipes with nicer stuff, so not really a big deal to change over to either a FMIC, SMIC, or WAIC. Lots of options but not a lot of time, so I need to figure things out pretty quickly.

I vote large single, WAIC, and a hood exiting downpipe (I love diesels). Is this primarily a track car that sees occassional street time...or a bad@ss track-inspired street car that may see some track time?

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14

I thought it was going to be a street car, so was curious why go "big" turbo as opposed to a smaller, faster spooling turbo.

Why does going to a single turbo affect your emissions? Don't you still run trough the same cat set up as you would through a dual?

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14

There is an air pump on the stock setup that won't fit with most single turbos. That air pump is part of the emissions system. Most people that go single get rid of all emissions, it REALLY simplifies the setup. You could probably go single turbo and still keep emissions as long as you can fit the air pump, and as long as you can separate the propper solenoids, vacuum lines, etc, and keep what you need while getting rid of what you don't. But I'm not completely sure. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that.

millertime

Postby millertime » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14

I'm sure it can be done, it just won't be easy, not sure where the turbo will be mounted as the air pump is pretty much right where the compressor would normally be. When I was talking to Don about this he wants to keep it as his daily for the most part so he's talking about using the GT35 he's got on his shelf. Of course he may change it but that's just what he's told me.

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14

You can get an RX7 to pass emissions with a single turbo. The air pump problem is that most emissions guys actually look at the computer that says it is supposed to have one, but most dont. If they look and its not there, instant fail.

I wont go "big single", but I have a GT3582R on my counter that is begging to be put back on an RX7, so why not?

This is a street car that will look like a race car and be used as a sort of "demo vehicle" and track days. Annnnd be my daily driver.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14

Can i demo it :D

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”