Got to solve this secondary air injection issue on my FD

Talk about your Rotaries!
Phu5ion

Got to solve this secondary air injection issue on my FD

Postby Phu5ion » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:14

So last fall I was unable to pass emissions, high HC and CO, my mechanic said it was a problem with the ACV. I performed a silicone hose job the year before so I thought it was possible that I could have hooked something up wrong and I didn't want them to put the labor in to fix a stupid routing problem. Well I pulled the ACV and it's operating within spec, the vacuum solenoid is operating correctly, and the check valve was installed correctly.

That led me to the airpump, which is engaging the clutch when manually applying 12V and the fuse works on the bench. So I think I've narrowed it down to the wiring to the airpump.

Anybody else dealt with this before?

Dwduc

Re: Got to solve this secondary air injection issue on my FD

Postby Dwduc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:14

I am not very experienced as I pulled all the emissions stuff off of mine when I got it. I believe the air pump is supposed to operate when you first start the car until it gets up to temp and then operate at idle to keep the cat hot. If you are suspecting the air pump relay you are welcome to mine. Check that the fuse is good and that the fuse and relay are getting power.

Phu5ion

Re: Got to solve this secondary air injection issue on my FD

Postby Phu5ion » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:14

It's been a while since I checked in on this.

Dwduc wrote:I am not very experienced as I pulled all the emissions stuff off of mine when I got it. I believe the air pump is supposed to operate when you first start the car until it gets up to temp and then operate at idle to keep the cat hot.

That's what my research tells me too.

Dwduc wrote:If you are suspecting the air pump relay you are welcome to mine. Check that the fuse is good and that the fuse and relay are getting power.

I believe the relay is good. I've pulled it, applied 12V on the bench, heard the relay click, and was able to verify continuity. As for the fuse, I had seen it referenced in the FSM but didn't know it was shared with the AC (google to the rescue). I'll check the AC fuse to be certain, but since the AC works I'm assuming that's not the issue with the air pump.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”