Public Service Announcement

Talk about your Rotaries!
chickenwafer

Re: Public Service Announcement

Postby chickenwafer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:14

Nice! I'm starting to think I should get a 3D printer for making/designing various brackets and prototype stuff. Seems super handy. What 3D printer do you have?

Pretty cool you're going to DGRR. I grew up in Western Pennsylvania so I'm accustomed to the roads out there (driven the Tail Of The Dragon a few times). I'd love to get the REPU out there but no way it would be ready this April LOL. Maybe a goal for next year.

vierte

Postby vierte » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:14

It is super handy! It's not mine.. but I use it pretty constantly. It's a maker gear I believe. Ive used it for prototyping before CNC cutting, for making finished components, and I'm also working on some techniques to go from 3d printed objects to cast aluminum. That one is a bit tricky. I have about half the components to build a 3d printer.. just have too many projects going on to get around to it.

Every couple years I tried to attend DGRR. If you ever want to go, I would like to get a group from Colorado to road trip out. And REPUs are always admired! This year I'll hopefully have at least 4 cars that I've buit attending. Two FD's (one rhd), the turbo vert, and hopefully an rx-2 race car if I can get an engine built in time. Mines the only car from CO that I know of the :/

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:14

I'd like to go to that some year, doesn't look good for this year though. So where is the other RHD FD in CO? we gotta meet up!

vierte

Postby vierte » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:14

It's my brother's car, but he's in West Virginia. He came across a rhd front clip a few years back and I've been helping him slowly convert a FD roller. I built the motor and helped with the wiring conversion. I'm the only Colorado rotary own that I know is making the trek to deals Gap this year.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:14

Can you machine threads to match the existing OEM seat belt mounting point on my Honda S2000? What I want is a mounting bolt for my s2000 that is a combination OEM seatbelt mounting bolt and a harness mounting point. Essentially a strong eye bolt with the appropriate shoulder to allow the OEM belt to swivel and the proper thread to use the existing Honda location. It appears to be a M10x1.25 according to Rob Robinette's page. I would want two made and could get you the passenger side bolt to base the machining off of.

vierte

Postby vierte » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:14

At the moment.. nope. I sold my lathe not long ago and I haven't bought a new one yet. Hoping to make space for a bigger machine and get something in the next few months tho. I didn't realize how much I used the lathe until it was gone! I would be willing to give it a shot. Just have to finish the Vert build first.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:14

Nice. Keep up on that vert.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:14

I know Eric (Speedjunkie) was going ot attend a few years ago but could make it due a problem with his car, but the way Phil (the organizer of DGRR) handled the situation made Eric boycott it LOL. Never get Eric mad he'll never forgive you LOL

vierte

Postby vierte » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:14

Ha. I think I had a conversation with Eric the last time I went. Hopefully time mends that wound! It's one of my favorite trips to take.

Speaking of JDM tight yo shifters... The vert came with a extended shifter and a marbled white plastic knob. It started to grow on me until I had to drive it! So I decided to go back to the stock shifter but I bought a round stone from in Estes Park that I'm going to turn into a shift knob. Been trying to find a cutter to mill/drill a pocket in the bottom of it then epoxy a threaded insert to screw it on to the shift knob. If I can find a stone cutting service locally that can drill it, I might try that as well. The bits to cut it are pretty outrageously priced.

vierte

Postby vierte » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:14

Got the wheels back from powder coat and started polishing rims as well. Color turned out great!

Cat reluctantly approves.

vierte

Postby vierte » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:14

This is cool... I was having a hard time trying to figure out where/how to place a boost gauge and an AFR gauge to keep everything looking classy and also stock as possible. I found a panel display that's programmable. It pretty much a display that takes two voltage inputs ( 0 to 40 VDC) and is powered from a (4-30VDC) source. All the colors, labels, units, etc are then customization and there are a few different graphics types. This thing should work with any linear sensor as the calibration is only a two point calibration. I bought a cheep pressure transducer (0.5-4.5V - 60 PSI) that will act as my manifold air pressure and then from my innovative wideband I will bring in the spare wideband 0-5V signal. It's small enough that I should be able to tuck it inside a stock Rx-7 ash tray. I'll either have to 3d print the tray back to fit then use the lid and button from the stock ashtray or I can probably fit it by some mild modifications to the stock ashtray then print a black face to make it flush so all you see when you open the tray is the gauge. This thing was pretty cheap and they also offer some larger models with much more detailed customization options with lots of inputs.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14

That is cool, Link to display retail website?
How does it do in direct sunlight? Is it dimable?

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14

That is really cool. Do you have any more info on it?
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

vierte

Postby vierte » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14

It seems to do well in direct sunlight as well as being viewable from angles. It's also a touch screen. It is dimmable but only during the configuration through software so you can't dim it when your lights turn on.

Here's the website link. Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the product page and select USD in the lower right hand corner. Otherwise you have prices in pounds. There is a us distributor in PA. Also might want to ask if a product is in stock before you order.. it took a month to get this one cause it was backordered.

https://www.lascarelectronics.com/panelpilot/

vierte

Postby vierte » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14

Their large displays look awesome! If I wasn't such a sucker for the stock CD player in rx7s, I would have got the large display and mounted it in the dash.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”