HID conversion kits

The How-To Forum
kingtut

Postby kingtut » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14

To preface, I looked in this DIY section and didn't see any mention of this topic....

Is this a popular mod for you guys? I really wanted the grand touring trim, but an extra $2k for HIDs, leather, and navigation just wasn't in the 'ol budget. I'm wanting to get a conversion kit soon, same one I did on my B5. Unfortunately, I couldn't snag it from my car when I got rid of it- I'm planning on ordering from vvme.com again...anyone agree or disagree?

Order of Operations:
1. Tint
2. HID's
3. winter tire/wheel set up

[fingers crossed my wife lets me] :lol:
one and one makes two, together we are free

TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14

I had Racing Trenz do my HID conversion..it was about 450-500 with the install...as you know if you do it yourself it can be much less expensive....they had the kit and the bulbs in stock so i went with them...Plus anything electrical and I dont mix well.
2013 FRS

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14

randy's look nice! his lights you pervs!
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

memphis

Postby memphis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14

I have a set of after market HIDs... if you end up getting a set, then lets maybe set up some sort of "install" meet and I'll help ya out installing them.. They really arent to hard to do at all.

Buffalo

Postby Buffalo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14

They are not that hard at all. If you need any help i might be able to join in on all the fun.
05 RX-8 RB revi (ram air) intake. ACT prolight flywheel. Clutch Masters stage 1. Axialflow short shifter. Tinted windows.
255 (f) Dunlap 275® Bridgestone

Up Next: Project RX-8!

baker

Postby baker » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14

i have heard good things about these kits.. http://www.vvme.com/

memphis

Postby memphis » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14

so with out having to sign up for anything, how much do they charge for shipping on that site??

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Memphis @ Jul 24 2008, 01:01 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=57975]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
so with out having to sign up for anything, how much do they charge for shipping on that site??[/b]

First off, I concur with Baker on the vvme! (I used to lurk on metrodubs... :6f1d77c8: )

I used them for the HID conversion and I think I ended up paying like 70.00 with shipping- I had the lights for about 8 months and never had any issues....once you go xenon you never go back :lol:

Honestly, coming from HID and turning on the stock headlights a few days ago, they just felt so sub par it's not even funny-

I don't think they give any group buy discounts necessarily, but I'll post up when it comes near to me purchasing them. ....and yea, the install isn't hard at all. This would be a perfect excuse/time for me to meet some of you all though!

Elite130

Postby Elite130 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14

I'm looking into doing the HID conversion as well. I was looking at the kits at Revolutions Performance 55w kits (see HERE). I've heard good things about them and they are affordable.

My real question is what is the difference between the kits that cost around $400-500 vs. the $80-150 kits?
2007 Performance White Mazda 6 S - V6, 5-speed
-Bone stock...except for a shark fin antenna and tint.

Current project in garage:
1988 Ford Mustang...my race car

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Elite130 @ Jul 24 2008, 09:17 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=58007]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I'm looking into doing the HID conversion as well. I was looking at the kits at Revolutions Performance 55w kits (see HERE). I've heard good things about them and they are affordable.

My real question is what is the difference between the kits that cost around $400-500 vs. the $80-150 kits?[/b]

From what I've read (from people who've purchased the more expensive kits) not much. The big thing with vvme is that they are actually located in China/Japan. They have horrible customer service (as not many at all can even speak English). BUT, they're product is great and thus the reason why they're so cheap. If you buy from here in the states (via websites, stores, etc.) they're sourcing them from basically the same people, and you gotta deal with 'da mark up- Also, no shame in anyone that has payed the higher price. These kits used to be super expensive and many still are. However, with their popularity and the amount of time they've been around, prices are dropping.

T-time

Postby T-time » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14

http://thexenonstore.com/
found out about them from mazda3forums seem like they have good prices
[size=84]Reclaim the Republic. Restore the Constitution.[/SIZE]

memphis

Postby memphis » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:14

So are you still gonna do this?

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Memphis @ Aug 12 2008, 11:20 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=60045]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
So are you still gonna do this?[/b]

I'm still planning on doing this. However, I just got tint/clearbra and would still like to get a few more things done over at Eclipse....as well as getting a tire/wheel combo for winter....the HID's are next in line after those two items.

I'm still going to go with vvme.com. Perhaps if their were a handful of people that were going to do this, I'd jump in on a group order, and bump the HID's to the head of the line. Not that we'd get any better pricing, but we could make a meet/greet/install gtg out of it :26fdf3e6: I had someone help me (okay, he basically did all the work....I just watched) install my last set, and even though it was a fairly simple process, I'd just as soon have another person there to lend a hand/expertise. FYI, we did have to drill a hole through the rear-plastic headlight housing....

memphis

Postby memphis » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:14

Im still kinda thinking about doing some HIDs in my lower fogs,, but not sure if I wanna go that route or not.. Not only would I need to buy the HID kit but I would need new housings to cause the ones I got are all cracked out and would work right.. So it would end up costing me 150-175 for the whole set up.. not sure if I wannt go for that now or not.. I just may say screw it go with some LED fogs just for the looks..

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Memphis @ Aug 15 2008, 12:54 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=60236]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Im still kinda thinking about doing some HIDs in my lower fogs,, but not sure if I wanna go that route or not.. Not only would I need to buy the HID kit but I would need new housings to cause the ones I got are all cracked out and would work right.. So it would end up costing me 150-175 for the whole set up.. not sure if I wannt go for that now or not.. I just may say screw it go with some LED fogs just for the looks..[/b]

I'd probably have to agree with you on that one. Most of the time, fogs are generally for looks anyway IMHO. As long as you have some HID's for your low beams, they'll do just as good as if you had standard halogens AND fogs on at the same time....better in fact. I can't see making an investment like that with fogs....plus having to dick with the ballasts down there is a pain too-

Return to “DIY”