Shaved side moldings

The How-To Forum
kingtut

Shaved side moldings

Postby kingtut » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:14

I found this link referenced by Speedracer:):
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123669726

I'm thinking of doing this. I've had this car for a year, am I going to see any differences in the paint? Anything I should be aware of before jumping in?
one and one makes two, together we are free

Gmoney

Postby Gmoney » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:14

kingtut wrote:I found this link referenced by Speedracer:)
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123669726

I'm thinking of doing this. I've had this car for a year, am I going to see any differences in the paint? Anything I should be aware of before jumping in?

I think Josh used fishing line to get the molding off, not sure if he even used the 3m remover????? Send him a PM and I am sure he will get you scared away.
*CP-e CAI
*Turbo Inlet
*ETS 3.5" TMIC
*SU Test Pipe
*RPM Street Springs
*AeroForce Gauge
*RPM LED Side/Rear Markers
*SU Rear Engine mount
*Turbine Tech Front engine mount
*Cp-e Rear Diff Mount
*TurboSmart MBC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

movovr

Postby movovr » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:14

I think you can save yourself all that trouble and just use fishing line and make sure the car has been in the sun for awhile

kingtut

Gmoney wrote:I think Josh used fishing line to get the molding off, not sure if he even used the 3m remover????? Send him a PM and I am sure he will get you scared away.

lol, I'm kind of getting "scared away" just by reading more posts. Some people had clear coat come off, and paint shade differences too:eek:

movovr

I doubt you'll see a difference. Use fishing line to slide behind the moulding and just "cut" it off. May have to wax a little when your done is all

Gmoney

Postby Gmoney » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:14

kingtut wrote:lol, I'm kind of getting "scared away" just by reading more posts. Some people had clear coat come off, and paint shade differences too:eek:

well that is funny did not mean to post "scared away" meant "squared away" it is not that big of a job........Like Troy said pick a hot day and you will be fine. That is ow I removed all my emblems........I used a heat gun to warm it up and came off like butter.....:D
*CP-e CAI
*Turbo Inlet
*ETS 3.5" TMIC
*SU Test Pipe
*RPM Street Springs
*AeroForce Gauge
*RPM LED Side/Rear Markers
*SU Rear Engine mount
*Turbine Tech Front engine mount
*Cp-e Rear Diff Mount
*TurboSmart MBC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kingtut

Cool, thanks for the replies. I may give it a go this weekend...

movovr

Yes...like buttah. When you're finished you won't be able to get the images of Fabio out of your head

kingtut

LMAO:lol:

TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:14

+1 on the heat gun...that worked fine for me. If you need to borrow one let me know.
2013 FRS

Cesaros

Postby Cesaros » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:14

use spray detailer afterwards...its probably the easiest cosmetic thing you can do...took me 10min to get all 4 off and the rear 3 and 2.3's. it looks like discoloration because that little area has stayed clean while everything around it has had dirt and grime plaster it for a while.

kingtut

TheNewBlack wrote:+1 on the heat gun...that worked fine for me. If you need to borrow one let me know.

Thanks for the offer. I'll see if we get some sunny weather this weekend, then may put some goof off on it and give it a whirl (with some fishing line).

Cesaros wrote:use spray detailer afterwards...its probably the easiest cosmetic thing you can do...took me 10min to get all 4 off and the rear 3 and 2.3's. it looks like discoloration because that little area has stayed clean while everything around it has had dirt and grime plaster it for a while.

Will do. I believe this should suffice:):

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:14

The sun showed its face, so I went for it.

Threw some blue tape and painters plastic down, and applied some goo gone. Let sit for a few minutes. I was too cheap to spend 2.50 on fishing line, so I tried doubling up some floss. That didn't work too well, lol. Either way, I just used my fingers and slowly pulled the molding away. The top first, then applied more goo gone to the bottom of the molding, waited a minute or so, and pulled it completely off.

Here it is right afterwords: [You can see the van that belongs down by the river in the background:p]

I sprayed some quick detailer on there, and it cleaned up pretty well. I did however, see a few marks/scratches that lied beneath the molding. I also put a few (very minor) scratches from the goo gone bottle rubbing down the door (as I applied it). You can also see (in some places, such as below) some lines where the adhesive was. They should easily come out with a polish. This is the perfect excuse for me to finally purchase a Porter Cable!:)

TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:14

Awseome! Looks nice. I just basically ripped mine off like an idiot, but everything turned out okay, glad to see you had no problems.
2013 FRS

Cesaros

Postby Cesaros » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:14

good job man....looks super clean.

Return to “DIY”