I think I'm gonna start doing this. (2-stroke oil added to gasoline)

The How-To Forum
~Barn~

I think I'm gonna start doing this. (2-stroke oil added to gasoline)

Postby ~Barn~ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:14

I dunno... It sounds crazy enough, but the guys over on the LS1 forum seem to swear by it. And if it does what they profess it does, this could be something pretty remarkable.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206

I think I'll start trying this in the "backup" ride first, and see how she works over the winter. It's funny too, because just this past weekend, I was *this* close to having one of those fuel-system-cleaning performed at an Audi dealership, now that I'm over 120k on the odo. It would have been a sight more expensive than a bottle of marine 2-stroke, over at Checker! Image

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:14

Pre-mixing is a HUGE thing in the rotary engine community. Mainly since our engines don't have a wet sump crankcase we have to inject oil into the combustion chamber to lubricate the seals.

Picking the right oil is very important, tho, since most 2-stroke oils are not designed to travel through a high pressure fuel system, fuel filter, and injectors. And low quality oils will actually separate in gasoline and sit in it like oil, which defeats the purpose.

I use Idemtisu 2-stroke oil exclusively having some bad experiences with other oils (clogged fuel filters, killed fuel pumps, etc). Here is a link to it: http://mazdatrix.com/q-supply.htm

The price is a little steep but it's 100% worth it. The biggest draw back is you can't purchase it in local stores, so if you run out you're SOL.
:eek:

~Barn~

chickenwafer wrote:Pre-mixing is a HUGE thing in the rotary engine community. Mainly since our engines don't have a wet sump crankcase we have to inject oil into the combustion chamber to lubricate the seals.

Picking the right oil is very important, tho, since most 2-stroke oils are not designed to travel through a high pressure fuel system, fuel filter, and injectors. And low quality oils will actually separate in gasoline and sit in it like oil, which defeats the purpose.

I use Idemtisu 2-stroke oil exclusively having some bad experiences with other oils (clogged fuel filters, killed fuel pumps, etc). Here is a link to it: http://mazdatrix.com/q-supply.htm

The price is a little steep but it's 100% worth it. The biggest draw back is you can't purchase it in local stores, so if you run out you're SOL.

Interesting. I had no idea that you Wankel guys had to do that. That's kinda crazy too, because I'm thinking your average Joe-Blow RX-7/8 owner isn't going to realize this, and/or take the time to do it, every time they put in gas. (?)

So are you saying that this is this something you do just as a performance enthusiast, or that it's part of the day-n-day out, "owners manual" world, of owning an RX-8? I think personally I'm going to give it a try, but the point that the guy stresses over and over, is that it doesn't so much matter which brand of 2-stroke slick you're using, so long as it has the TC-W3 lubricant in it.

Now granted I'm probably not going to buy the Everything'sunderadollar brand, but I don't think I'm going to go on any major search outside of the stuff you can pick up at Wal-Mart or Checker or whatever.

When you do this in your RX-8, do you mix it at the same 1oz-per-gallon ratio they talk about in this article, or....?

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:14

ls1 people are doing this!? no way get out of here.

but yea us rotary guys use it every fill up that's if you have a non operational OMP -oil metering pump- or non at all which pumps oil into the combustion chamber just like what chickenwafer was talking about.

i personally dont think which kind of 2 stroke is better, i mean it is what it is. atleast not on pre renesis rotarys. in case it does build up carbon and what not, i redline it atleast twice a day or whenever i drive mine. clears everything up nicely, but does a job on the fuel filter though.

1:1 ratio is about how much i use on mine, sometimes a little more not on purpose though.

~Barn~

iani1.1 wrote:<Snip...>that's if you have a non operational OMP -oil metering pump- or non at all which pumps oil into the combustion chamber just like what chickenwafer was talking about.

Okay cool, that makes sense. I was gonna say!...

Obie2kenobe

Postby Obie2kenobe » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:14

My omp still works and I still premix...you can never be too careful. I think I run something like 1:20 or something...I don't know I would have to look at the bottle. I know that idemtsiststsu crap (whatever the hell it is called) is the best for us but there aren't many places to find it so I am just using walmart stuff right now.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:14

I put in about 4oz per fill up because I still have a functional Oil Metering Pump (OMP) which directs oil directly into the combustion chamber through a jet in the rotor housing.

Plus, mine has a special adapter that draws in oil through a separate tank that I fill with Idemitsu. Normal RX-8/RX-7's suck oil from their normal "crankcase" motor oil, so you need to top off the oil periodically, which leads some "uninformed" (to put it nicely) owners to think their car burns oil, as in it's a bad thing. Also, normal 4-stroke motor oil isn't designed to be burned and has a high flash point so it doesn't always burn during the combustion process and thus exits the exhaust has nasty hydrocarbons.

Also with the Cobb AccessPORT I can reflash the factory ECU that controls the OMP and I can have it inject more oil than stock.

That's the biggest issue with the RX-8 from the factory- the lack of oil being injected into the rotor housing. Mazda had to cut down the rate of oil injection since it was making the 8 not pass emissions by burning too much oil. Thus they compromised engine life. Every RX-8 owner should premix to save their motor!
:eek:

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:14

whered you get that adapter? ive been looking for one for awhile now. i know some fds have it but i cant find those either. do you still need the omp for it to work? tired of putting 2stroke at the gas station, takes too much time lol.

Renesis Rx

Postby Renesis Rx » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14

Very good thread.
Renesis...MMMMMMMMM

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14

iani1.1 wrote:whered you get that adapter? ive been looking for one for awhile now. i know some fds have it but i cant find those either. do you still need the omp for it to work? tired of putting 2stroke at the gas station, takes too much time lol.

Here you go: http://www.rotaryaviation.com/oil_injector_pump_adaptors.htm

I need to get one of these soon.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14

So is there anybody here who does this.... Or maybe has tried this.... In their non-rotary vehicle?

Quite frankly, I'm not terribly impressed with the gas mileage on my MS6, so if this can improve that, and at the same time, have some cleaning effects, I'm all for it.

I consistently get around 22/23MPG in my A4 (which is a 2.8L 6-cyl), so that'll be the first thing I look at, for effectiveness. If it seems to be doing some good after a couple 2 or 5 tanks-full, I'll start throwin' some of this stuff in the Mazda.

Stay tuned!

RX-7 Chris

I don't think it will really do much if anything for a piston engine. Why don't you try running a fuel system cleaner through the car now and again.

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

My Car Blog

rmeeker13

Postby rmeeker13 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14

My car gets around 33/35mpg highway and varys alot in town depending on how you drive. I run a synthetic fuel cleaner with octane boost every few fill-ups.
GT28-COBB AP-COBB SRI-TURBOSMART EBOOST2 EBC-JBR SSP-CP-E DP-CP-E INLET-CP-E 3'' CB-ETS IC-DNP MANI-TIAL 44MM EWG-OEM BPV-AWR RRM-SURE DREADNAUGHT-EIBACH SL SPRINGS-KONIG ZERO'S-GREDDY OCC-NGK 1 STEP COLDER PLUGS
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:I don't think it will really do much if anything for a piston engine.

Well, according to their data they've gathered, it has shown both the cleansing properties in the engines they've taken apart, and also the MPG improvement of upwards of 5% (?)

Plus things like ease of startup, and smoothed out idle.

RX-7 Chris wrote:Why don't you try running a fuel system cleaner through the car now and again.

I've done bottled fuel system cleaners before, and have never really noticed any sort of long or short term gains in gas mileage. Now of couse I haven't done any engine disassembly to review internal cleanliness, so that I don't have an opinion on. But again, I have to point back to their data, and actual testing. This is kinda the reason why I was going to leave the bottled stuff on the shelf and do an actual power cleaning at the dealership. I want to see something that might have some quantifiable results.

But I guess I would say the main reason I would try and do this, would be because (if it works), it's lightyears cheaper than constant fuel treatment additives. I mean we're talking about 2 or 3 ounces for every fillup of gas, as opposed to an entire bottle or half bottle of fuel treatment. And although I've never purchased a quart of marine 2-stroke oil, I can't imagine it costing as much as say.... a $20 bottle of BG44k, which is widely recognized as the best treatment available.

And apparently you will see the MPG gains by the 2nd fillup, and the improved idle/startup nearly immediately, so it's something that you should be able tell is working or not, right away. Image

I think I'm just kind of curious by nature, too. =)

RX-7 Chris

I would just go for it if I were you. I don't think it would cause any problems with the car so it it worth a try.

My Car Blog

Return to “DIY”