Power Steering Fluid Swap-out

The How-To Forum
Stealth01

Power Steering Fluid Swap-out

Postby Stealth01 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:14

I'm far from a mechanical wiz, but I wasn't going to pay Penkhus $125 to change my power steering fluid, which they said was "starting to get discolored." They were cool with me doing it, and said it wasn't crucial right away...just starting to break down. But I did it anyway. I did NOT want to have to jack up the car to get to the return hard-line hose, remove it, and drain the system, as seems to be the normal "How-to" method for the MS6. But I wasn't going to spend $80 for a power evacuator to suck out the stuff, either. So here's what I talked to a buddy and he let me borrow this:

That's a Hobbico Hand Crank Fuel Pump, designed for fueling RC Model Planes and cars. According to that link, it's about $11.

Other supplies needed:

Flashlight
Rag
Funnel
Something to catch the old fluid (and dispose of properly, of course)
Some DEX III or better ATF Fluid. I got the Advanced Auto brand for $3.49, but decided to go with the $8 Lucas Oil brand, for quality's sake. Keeping the Adv Auto as extra, for refills, if needed.

My friend's instructions (having done this method before, successfully) was "drain the reservoir, refill, drive around a little, repeat until the fluid is coming out red instead of brown-black."

So I set up the pump with a bottle to catch the old fluid. (Note: after the first drive-around session, things will be HOT so be careful where you put the bottle...) It was pretty easy to set up, but making sure the hose is actually IN fluid was a little rough at first, because I couldn't see inside the reservoir.

Once it's set up, just turn the hand crank until the fluid drains from the reservoir. It takes a few cranks to get it started, but once it is moving, it empties quickly.

This is how much came out each time:

Once the reservoir is empty, use a clean funnel to refill it. Pour slowly -- the reservoir is baffled and will overflow if you pour quickly. Use a flashlight to determine when the reservoir is between min and max. When it is, close everything up, and go for a short drive to pump the fluid through the system.

Note: You could probably sit in the garage with the motor running and turn the wheel from side to side and accomplish the same thing, but where's the fun in that?

When you get back from your drive, the fluid in the reservoir will again be a nasty brown-black, instead of the pretty red you put in. Don't worry...drain the reservoir again and refill.

Drive again.

Repeat as necessary until the fluid you're pumping out is a nice, clean red.

For me, it took four drive-arounds to get the fluid coming out red again. Then I topped things off, and cleaned up. Ran about a pint or two of water through the pump to clean it out.

Mmmmmmm.....Sobe Dex is my new favorite flavor. And some Dasani Dex-water to wash it down. That's how much came out, total. Little less than a quart!

So that's how I did it. I will be picking up one of these pumps. I'm betting they have it at Hobbytown USA or some such place. Handy device.

Whole process took me about 40 minutes, but will be faster next time.

One final note: Apparently, women find the smell of ATF fluid, especially used fluid, extremely offensive, so keep that in mind when deciding where to do this. :)
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:14

That's a cool way to do that. I've always just put the front end of the car up on jack stands, un-bolted the banjo bolt for one of the lower lines on the rack and drained it that way. This way seems less messy, but more time consuming (marginally).

Also, be careful because ATF is EXTREMELY flammable, like burst into OMGFGROFLBBG FIREBALL Flammable.
:eek:

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:Also, be careful because ATF is EXTREMELY flammable, like burst into OMGFGROFLBBG FIREBALL Flammable.

LOL that's information I could have used 6 hours ago! :D
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:14

One thing I remember when I was working at the dealership is that almost all Mazdas are extremely picky about using the correct tranny fluid. Most cases, OE fluid was the best bet. I hope your stuff is compatible.

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:14

dommo_g wrote:One thing I remember when I was working at the dealership is that almost all Mazdas are extremely picky about using the correct tranny fluid. Most cases, OE fluid was the best bet. I hope your stuff is compatible.

It's compatible. I double- and triple-checked.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

erod550

Postby erod550 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:14

Stealth01 wrote:One final note: Apparently, women find the smell of ATF fluid, especially used fluid, extremely offensive, so keep that in mind when deciding where to do this.

Haha it's funny that you mention this because my wife helped me change the diff fluid and top off the tranny fluid in the Miata a month or so ago and she went on forever about how much it stinks. We also spilled a little in the garage and you could smell it for a couple weeks afterward. Doubt she will help me with that job again lol.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Return to “DIY”