What if a fuse won't stay in place..?

The How-To Forum
~Barn~

What if a fuse won't stay in place..?

Postby ~Barn~ » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:14

So I have a situation where my cruise control fuse won't stay in place. It's a "5" mini fuse, and it's as if the metal slots that the fuse would normally have slid into, are now basically gone. You put the fuse in the slot, and it just doesn't stay; falls out.

Has anybody ever experienced anything like this before? I don't know how that metal either shifte, or got pulled out with the last fuse that was in there, or what...

By the way, this is on a B5 Audi A4 and not a Mazda. Not that it matters I suppose. Guess this could happen on any fuse panel. (?)

Craziness.
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:14

Could you try a larger fuse in there? Maybe do some sautering and make the connections tighter?
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:14

I thought about soldering, but I don't know exactly how that would work. Plus, I can't even see the opposing connection that the fuse forks would slide into, so I don't even know what the fuse could be soldered to.

I sense a junkyard A4 fusebox in my future! =)
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:14

can you get a pic of what it looks like? I know it is small.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:14

I'll try to get a pic, but I made another discovery last night, that has my whole theory shot.... I'm going to have to do some more research, before I pursue this any more.

If I have any breakthroughs, I'll post up! =)
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:14

lol but if it just falls out just tape it in place. wont hurt anything.

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:14

Duct tape.
Image Image

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:14

I'm sayin'!

I think what's actually going down here, is different from what I initially diagnosed. I have studied the fuse box something thorough, and I think my book is mislabled. For 1.), I *never* would have removed my cruise control fuse, just to do it, or to try and test swap or whatever, and not put it back or replace it with a new one. However, the slot that is labeled for CC (11) was empty when I started troubleshooting.

For 2.) I have a #5 fuse in the (8) slot. This slot is labeled in the book as "vacant", but oddly, it does have metal connections internally, and that fuse is in place solid as all the rest.

For 3.) My cruise control used to work.

Now finally....as I look at every slot that the book has labled "vacant".... I'm seeing a trend of "no metal connections" internally, and that's exactly how (11) looks, despite being in the book as "Cruise Control". Thus my confusion about this whole thing in the first place! So by virtue of all these circumstance, I think the book is a a misprint, and slot 8 is truly the CC fuse, and 11 is the one that's vacant. Always has been.

That said, I think I have a issue with something else now. Namely the Audi CC control module. Apparently, it's need a couple resolders after a long hard life. Now I just need to find out how to get to it, and find somebody who knows how to solder! Apparently it's behind the glovie.

More to come...
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:14

it isn't all that hard to resolder sonething like that. I resoldered all the guages in my black rx because when it was cold they wouldn't work right. Just take your time.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Return to “DIY”