Mazsport Clutch Pedal Bracket

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:14

I ordered the reinforcement from Mazsport for the clutch pedal bracket. I'll be adding this to the car sometime next week and will post up a review/DIY. From what I understand, some form of reinforcement is an absolute must for the RX-8. After going through my transmission woes, I wasn't going to take a change on destroying it again, and having the faulty bracket be the reason. Results to follow!

DIY EDIT:

Tools needed: 12mm Deep socket. Extension, Power Drill, 5/16 drill bit, Tiny Arms.

Preface: If you're somewhat big, two bits of advice: Remove the dead pedal for a little more room, and/or remove the driver's seat. I did neither of these and cursed my way through trying to contort my big-ass self under the dash.

1. Contort under the dash, and look up. There's the clutch pedal. First, disconnect the 2 electrical connections. If the front connection is a little difficult, you can remove the entire assembly by turning it and it will release. Just to be safe, try and remove the connection itself though, it slides off easily. Disconnect the clip attaching the hood release cable (or just cut through the orange tape that connects it)

2. The bracket is held on by 3 metal 12mm nuts, and one plastic nut. I tried, but couldn't get a picture of the third hidden secret nut, though.

3. Now, take your assembly to a work area. You'll need to break out the drill. As shown, put the brackets in place (it's pretty easy to figure out how they go, even if my pics aren't perfect) and secure with the provided guide bolts (the long ones), and drill using the long support bracket as a guide.

4. Now, bolt everything together using the 3 supplied 13mm lock nuts and bolts. Once again, it's obvious which bolts go where. Remove the 2 guide bolts.

5. Now, bolt the sucker back up to the car (easiest if you loosely thread the top bolt, then slide the assembly towards the firewall. You may have to wedge a brace behind the master cylinder recess on the firewall in the engine bay. I did. When reinstalling, make sure the clutch slave rod is positioned into the master cylinder recess properly.

6.Reinstall the two electrical connectors and verify they click during installation.
Use the supplied wire tie to secure the hood release cable to the pedal assembly using the 3/16 hole you previously drilled and snip off the excess wire tie.

7. Verify all of your bolts and nuts are tight and there is no interference in the pedal assembly from bolts, wires, wire ties etc.

8. You're done. Hopefully your arms aren't as chewed up as mine. I look like a fought a cat. I've also attached the Mazsport PDF instructions as well. Their pictures are a little better and instructions probably include things I forgot.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:14

Faulty Brakets FTW!!!! Yeah!!!. Only if it weren't so much for the reinforcment peices.

ImageImage

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:14

I agree...the price sucks. However, if it helps the clutch actually disengage properly, it's well worth it.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:14

True true. Mebe down the road when my tranny gets replace/fixed a will buy it....or mebe go the cheap way and try to copy it....It all depends on how I feel. But it is a must cause eventually it will break on you randomly and you will be able to go nowhere.

ImageImage

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:14

A DIY will follow soon, as I installed this yesterday. Initial feedback is...um, so-so. After reading the glowing reviews, I was expecting something a little more dramatic. Basically, I can't really feel a difference (yet, just went for a quick drive), but the creak in the pedal is gone. Recommend as preventative maintenance, but don't expect much of a difference in feel.

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:14

DIY steps added. Read and heed.

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:14

Final follow up...somehow the free play on the clutch got messed up after the install...I had more than an inch of free play. Simple adjustment using a 12 mm wrench to loosen the lock nut. Simply turn the push rod to adjust the free play. Tighten the 12mm lock nut, and you're done.

I checked the pedal stroke and clutch disengagement point, and those were in spec.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”