Exhaust

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
droid

Exhaust

Postby droid » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:14

[SIZE="2"]I have been on this forum since the last quarter of 08 and so far all have helped with carefully piecing my FC back together.

I took my suspension to the next level and was able to find out how much life i have left in them while stiffening what was there.[/SIZE]

I got the exhaust components replaced except for the headers and cat. They are stock or at least it looks like it to me. I will be replacing them anyways.

I have this as my DD but which should be best suited, i don't know and have too many questions. The headers/presilencer or the Catback exhaust? Also is the 88 FC3C a 6port when equipped with these types of exhaust? What i have now is a single pipe and looks like from what i've read these need the back pressure with a Y-pipe. iDon't use a Holley-intake but what can be used for great performance without having one. Both look like great buy's, anyone have some information on this?

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:14

The only advantage to the y pipe is the stock look. You don't need to worry about the back pressure.

Do you have emissions over there?
If not I would go with a header and precilencer with no cat. If you do with a cat. it needs to be made for rotarys because if it is not it will melt. Also get a good quality header because cheap ones will also melt. The rotary exhaust is known to get close to 2000 deg.

The best setup out of box is the complete Dual exhaust systemhttp://mazdatrix.com/r-ex86nt.htm
Or you could go with the road race header, presilencer, and y-pipe, and get borla or magnaflow mufflers.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

droid

Yeah we have emissions over here and my car can't pass with what i have.
I had a resonator put on, is that the same as a presilencer?
Yeah i was looking at that because i have no Y-pipe so i would have to buy it extra for the cat-back exhaust. Does this conflict with the headers/presilencer?

RX-7 Chris

you may be able to go with some of this:
http://www.rx7.com/store/rx7/fcexhaust.html

Never bought anything from them but I hear they are good products.

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

My Car Blog

droid

Thanks for the tip and site. That place has the headers and bonez cat for 440$ think i might just go with that cuz those are the two i need for completion.

Another dumb question i guess is after i've purchased this bonez high-flow cat, anything behind that point need replacement since it will be pushing more heat out? I have a 2" piping and GReddy exhaust. Oh yeah and that resonator is behind the cat too.

RX-7 Chris

You should be ok with what you have if it is working now.

My Car Blog

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”