Mod ideas, Best bang for Buck

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
kbull38

Bang for Buck replies

Postby kbull38 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:14

Thanks for the replies for my mod ideas, best bang for the buck thread. I am not new to moding cars, but this is my first experience with moding an import car so I am a litte slow on the technical lingo that I recieved from the thread. I have mechanical knowhow (my best time on changing the cylinder heads on my 1971 buick skylark was 90 minutes from draining the radiator to starting the engine after the change, heads ported and polished by my friend), but this is my first turbo car and it will take me some time to get up to speed (I am going buying mags to help me). I would like any pointers on making these changes as easy as possible and some estimates on HP gains I hope to expect, I want to get my new ms3 to run low 14's in the quarter. Thanks!

*DarthRX8*

Postby *DarthRX8* » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:14

Doesn't the MS3 stock run mid to low 1/4 miles already? Below is from motortrend:

"At the track, the new Speed3's performance was not all that different from what it was the last time we tested it (that one was a 2009 model). This year, the hatch reached 60 mph in 5.6 seconds, which is exactly as quick as last year's model. It completed the quarter mile in 14.1 seconds at 99.9 mph (as opposed to last year's 14.1 at 100.6 mph), and braking in both cases was 112 feet."

movovr

Postby movovr » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:14

It should, but at altitude you often see low 15's.

Cesaros

Postby Cesaros » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:14

Ive got a tremendously helpful book for you...its called Ultimate Boost by Corky Bell. It goes in depth on building/tuning/testing/installing turbocharger systems. Gives some engineering background of turbochargers. It also will direct you in the proper direction of how to get the most power out of your turbocharger without doing anything to hurt your car.

In a sense, you'll achieve the most HP from reading that book.

But with a slew of bolt-on mods (ColdAirIntake/Turboback exhaust/Downpipe/engine mount/blowoff valve)

you could see anywhere from 20-40+whp gains...once you tune...and that's a modest number.

upgrading your turbo will yield the greatest HP gains of anything.

Turbochargers are easy (its a compressor and turbine that's forcing a charge of air into your cylinder producing a certain amount of PSI..I wont insult your intelligence by explaining them in detail...since I know you can read lol). engineering them is hard, haha. Rule of thumb is...the freer the airflow through your engine...the more power potential your turbocharger has.

If you want numbers...check out some of the Mazdaspeed owners on Cardomain who have dyno sheets up proving numbers for their mods.

Originalguy

Postby Originalguy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:14

movovr wrote:
Downpipe and you have no traction...

Why is That? ha stupid question...
Mazdaspeed FTW
I make yellow lights my bitch.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:14

Ho ho ho, the awd guy made a funny. I don't need traction from a 40 roll. ;)

On topic though, my plans are intake, turbo inlet, downpipe, cobb AP and a tune, plus other miscellaneous things like a BPV, short shifter, rear motor mount. Not sure if I'll do the upgraded TMIC or not. The AP and tune are already going to be pretty expensive.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

erod550

Postby erod550 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:14

movovr wrote:It should, but at altitude you often see low 15's.

Those are bad launch runs though, right? My SRT-4 ran a 14.7 bone stock at PMI and I suck at launching FWD cars. I think that was with a 2.4 60'. My best run modded was 14.3 with a 2.39 60'. I'm sure a decent driver would have had it in the 13s. I know the MS3's strong point isn't the 1/4, but still, 15s is RSX territory and that makes me sad. :\
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0

2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

bmwzoom

Postby bmwzoom » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:14

Threads merged.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”