Engine Damper

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
Cesaros

Engine Damper

Postby Cesaros » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:14

Installed yesturday. One of the most frustrating installs I've done (but that was probably my fault).

Pro's>>>Increases traction, Faster acceleration, dramatically decreases stress on mounts, stops almost all engine movement, wheels spin not hop, WILL DECREASE VIBRATIONS DUE TO AFTERMARKET REAR MOTOR MOUNTs!

Con's>>>Engine noise is heard through vent on passenger side due to the mount being attached at the strut tower part of the firewall. If you don't support your engine during install, it will fall. NOT FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR A COMFORT MOD! THIS IS A PERFORMANCE MOD! IT WILL DECREASE COMFORT!

A great addition to my growing list of modifications...a must for those looking to get back what Mazda took away with wussy engine mounts. And for those who want the toughest platform for their 2.3lt Atmospheric or Turbocharged Mazda3 engine!
Attachments
DSCN0893.JPG
DSCN0892.JPG

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:14

Don't think I've seen this before. Where'd you buy it?
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

movovr

Postby movovr » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:14

Can't imagine what it would sound like on a speed3. Is it really that loud? I'm looking for all the traction I can get and if your 3s is noticable, I might have to stuff the shit our of my vent with a litltle Pink Panther

Cesaros

Postby Cesaros » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:14

its not super annoying loud...but its noticeable. You can hear the valves and timing chain...kinda sounds like the wind a little. But it has more of an impact than a motor mount will ever have since this actually stops the engine from moving. I drive with the windows down a lot anyway, so the sound doesn't bother me. I bought mine from Protege Garage..but you can find them at a lot of online performance stores. Do a google search of Mazda 3 Engine Damper, and you should get plenty of hits.

and my car is loud as it is with all the emissions removed and intake...if you have the stock speed3 exhaust, then you car is quieter than mine by far lol.

Renesis Rx

Postby Renesis Rx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:14

Torque damper. Very good mod to get if you want a quick acceleration boost. It's a little known mod, but well worth the money. Good pick.
Renesis...MMMMMMMMM

movovr

Postby movovr » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:14

Cesaros wrote:its not super annoying loud...but its noticeable. You can hear the valves and timing chain...kinda sounds like the wind a little. But it has more of an impact than a motor mount will ever have since this actually stops the engine from moving. I drive with the windows down a lot anyway, so the sound doesn't bother me. I bought mine from Protege Garage..but you can find them at a lot of online performance stores. Do a google search of Mazda 3 Engine Damper, and you should get plenty of hits.

and my car is loud as it is with all the emissions removed and intake...if you have the stock speed3 exhaust, then you car is quieter than mine by far lol.

I doubt it. Downpipe and not cats whatsoever on my car = loud

Cesaros

Postby Cesaros » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:14

ahh...yah removal of cats will do it....if i ever get my new intake manifold and headers (i hate the rice sound tho..) ill be back up there..lol

im just going from how loud Sixburghers speed3 is with his downpipe.

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:14

I don't mind loud if it's for the right reasons. I have a wife and three kids! If I can hear the wife, and drown out the others... welll...
AIM WO4

[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]

[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:14

AIM WO4 wrote:I don't mind loud if it's for the right reasons. I have a wife and three kids! If I can hear the wife, and drown out the others... welll...

:lol:
2013 FRS

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:14

Anyone ever use an EMOTOR USA engine damper or heard of them?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVERSAL-13-engine-torque-DAMPER-kit-red-brand-new_W0QQitemZ180402912851QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2a00d9fe53&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I know it is a cheap ebay part but no one makes one for my car and this seems to be the best option I can find. I would still need to make custom mounts.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Cesaros

RX-7 Chris wrote:Anyone ever use an EMOTOR USA engine damper or heard of them?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVERSAL-13-engine-torque-DAMPER-kit-red-brand-new_W0QQitemZ180402912851QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2a00d9fe53&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I know it is a cheap ebay part but no one makes one for my car and this seems to be the best option I can find. I would still need to make custom mounts.

universal...and TORQUE damper dont go well together...

if you look at mine, the mounts are 1/4in thick steel plate powder coated...that ebay one looks like it wouldn't hold up to any amount of abuse.

and its only held in place by 2 tiny a$$ bolts lol...my advice...if ur cheap and own an 88 honda that you dont care about, go for it...but those look about as strong as a hood lift.

also, inside of a REAL torque damper...its not a hydrolic, but 2 1inch thick rubber bushings the piston pushes against...figuring the motor weights over 500lbs...thats alot of force.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:14

Cesaros wrote:universal...and TORQUE damper don't go well together...

if you look at mine, the mounts are 1/4in thick steel plate powder coated...that ebay one looks like it wouldn't hold up to any amount of abuse.

and its only held in place by 2 tiny a$$ bolts lol...my advice...if ur cheap and own an 88 honda that you dont care about, go for it...but those look about as strong as a hood lift.

I wouldn't use the mounts that came with it that is for sure. The problem is that I don't really have much of a choice.

The only damper I can get that is a bolt in is this: http://racingbeat.com/FRmazda1.htm

The problem is that it puts stress on the inner fender because it is a solid rod with rubber bushings. I don't like that idea.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Cesaros

yikes...well you may be stuck with delrin mounts for the extra support. but I wouldn't put a 34$ universal strut on my engine and expect it to work.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”