One Range COlder Spark Plugs, Do they make a difference.

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
coloskydiver

One Range COlder Spark Plugs, Do they make a difference.

Postby coloskydiver » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:14

I have doing some standard maintenance on my truck to get ready for the winter and am considering changing my spark plugs out. In the installation instructions for my supercharger, the say "if your vehicle see prolonged high speed use, we recommend going with a spark plug one range colder". Is there really any benefit and why?

The plugs I have in there are okay but should I go one range colder?

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:14

Do you run one stage colder in your Speed?

Since a SC is rpm dependent, I guess I could see the benefit if you were always on the highway or something.
one and one makes two, together we are free

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:14

Even tho a supercharger makes boost in a more linear fashion, when the engine is off load a bypass valve should be open so you're still not making boost.

Are your current plugs fouled at all? That's a sign you're running a plug that's too "cold". If not, you can stay where you are at.

If you have experienced any pre-ignition then you're plug maybe too "hot". A colder plug provides a greater safety buffer for pre-ignition but a hotter plug can increase fuel mileage (marginally at beast) and start up times. With a colder plug you will notice it will take an extra second or two for the engine to turn over.

Here is a great read-up on hot/cold plugs by NGK: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/index.asp
:eek:

rmeeker13

Postby rmeeker13 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:14

I just installed some NGK step colder in my ms6 and the car runs wayyy smoother. My stockers were pretty fouled tho. The only reason i changed is because im running 15-16psi.
GT28-COBB AP-COBB SRI-TURBOSMART EBOOST2 EBC-JBR SSP-CP-E DP-CP-E INLET-CP-E 3'' CB-ETS IC-DNP MANI-TIAL 44MM EWG-OEM BPV-AWR RRM-SURE DREADNAUGHT-EIBACH SL SPRINGS-KONIG ZERO'S-GREDDY OCC-NGK 1 STEP COLDER PLUGS
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rich

Postby Rich » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:14

Ron I remember looking into this a while back. Seems to me that a colder spark might help prevent detonation, and may also help keep AFRs on the rich side by not fully burning all of the fuel. In a FI vehicle, fuel is often used as a charge coolant, so you don't want all of it to burn. Just what I remember, haven't looked into it in a while.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”