tuning in COS area

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
T-time

Postby T-time » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:14

i would need someone to drive up there with me, to help monitor my a/f and change the values to keep it safely rich (hey dange wanna goto longmont this weekend?)
[size=84]Reclaim the Republic. Restore the Constitution.[/SIZE]

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:14

Stealth01 wrote:Harvey will work in the altitude adjustments for you. And he creates maps for Colorado temperatures, too.

Yeah I figured he would. And I have the software that came with the Datalogit to tune the Power FC, except I won't take out my Datalogit to tune other people's vehicles because it's kind of a PITA haha. Well, I'll take it out for friends lol.

Good luck with this T-time!

T-time

Postby T-time » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14

I called revolutions and they seem to not wantt to tune a piggy back. Upper and boost creep wouldnt pick up

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14

Stealth01 wrote:OK...talking to the STi guy in my office, who spoke to Harvey about my car, he CURRENTLY doesn't have the software to tune Mazdaspeed vehicles. He'd have to buy it. If there was enough interest, he probably would. Maybe a group of you should get together and see if you are enough members to get him interested.

What software does he need? What tuning solution are you talking about? Cobb? CP-E? You get a single user license for the Cobb tuning software when you buy an AP so you can just download the software from their website and they should be able to tune with that. The only thing is I think the Pro software (that costs $$$$) has access to more areas of the ECU but I'm not 100% sure on that.

This is the information I was given by MAC, where I plan to take my car to be tuned in the next couple months. They don't have the AccessTuner Pro software either because there isn't enough demand from Mazdaspeed owners. Everyone around here drives Subies.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14

Oh, I think I forgot to touch on a couple things. I've heard some not-so-great things about Revolutions and UPP. I've heard that UPP will tune your car super lean to make more power, and then it will blow up because it's too damn lean. I've heard good things about Revolutions before, specifically about Servion, but I've heard recently that he's not all he's cracked up to be. Of the two, I'd go to Revolutions before I'd go to UPP, but honestly I wouldn't go to either of them myself. I'd like to talk to the guy at Boost Creep since he sounds pretty good, but I'm still kinda leaning towards going to Texas.

T-time

Postby T-time » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14

the guy from boost creep has his phone shut off. revolutions doesnt want to touch my car cuz it doesnt have a standalone

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14

erod550 wrote:What software does he need? What tuning solution are you talking about? Cobb? CP-E? You get a single user license for the Cobb tuning software when you buy an AP so you can just download the software from their website and they should be able to tune with that. The only thing is I think the Pro software (that costs $$$$) has access to more areas of the ECU but I'm not 100% sure on that.

This is the information I was given by MAC, where I plan to take my car to be tuned in the next couple months. They don't have the AccessTuner Pro software either because there isn't enough demand from Mazdaspeed owners. Everyone around here drives Subies.

Cobb. The expensive software. Similarly, he sees mostly Subies up here. However, with enough demand from mazdaspeed owners, he would probably buy it.
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14

If you buy a Cobb AP you can use the AccessTUNER RACE software to tune it. This is how I tuned my own car and other peoples AccessPORTs. You don't need the ProTuner Software.

If I owned a shop, however, I wouldn't tune anyone's AccessPORT without the ProTuner software. Without it, you can't lock your maps, which is the biggest hassle. Also, with the Race tuner software, you can only create a map for each model year (ex: 2004, 2005, 2006, etc). So you need to have multiple copies of the software to tune various years of the same make car, and you can't share base map files between them, which makes tuning even more difficult.

The ProTuner cost anywhere from $1,000 to $2500 depending on the model.
:eek:

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:If you buy a Cobb AP you can use the AccessTUNER RACE software to tune it. This is how I tuned my own car and other peoples AccessPORTs. You don't need the ProTuner Software.

If I owned a shop, however, I wouldn't tune anyone's AccessPORT without the ProTuner software. Without it, you can't lock your maps, which is the biggest hassle. Also, with the Race tuner software, you can only create a map for each model year (ex: 2004, 2005, 2006, etc). So you need to have multiple copies of the software to tune various years of the same make car, and you can't share base map files between them, which makes tuning even more difficult.

The ProTuner cost anywhere from $1,000 to $2500 depending on the model.

I wouldn't know the slightest thing about tuning. I'd just screw up my car. Doesn't matter to me, though, since I'll probably just use the stock Cobb maps (if I ever end up with an AP...which seems unlikely...)
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14

I love the AP, but it has it's downfalls (I can be objective) and unless you own a popular platform like the Evo or STi the OTS (off the shelf) maps on the AP are useless. I've physically seen an Evo on the dyno gain 23 or so wheel horsepower and over 30 ft-lbs of torque from a Cobb OTS map.

As far as Mazdaspeed cars go, I haven't too many good things about the OTS maps for them, they do little if anything. Just like the RX-8- OTS Cobb map does nothing, LOL.
:eek:

erod550

Postby erod550 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:14

From what I've read, the OTS maps give you about a 15hp gain in a Mazdaspeed, but I believe there's more area under the curve so it's more than just a peak gain. Plus there are the other benefits like removing the boost limit in 1st and 2nd, flat foot shifting, etc. But I wouldn't use an OTS map for long because every car is different so there's no way a generic map could be optimized for your car. There is a whole section over on MSF.org that's dedicated to the ATR software so I think anyone can learn how to use it. I just don't want to have to go do pulls on public roads just to get logs and test and do more pulls and log and test, etc. etc. I guess I could rent out MAC's dyno and try to tune it myself with ATR, but if they will do a tune with ATR I would really prefer they do it since they have tuning experience and I don't. And as for not being able to lock maps, there's no way I'd be sharing a map that I just paid $350 to get.

Oh, and sorry T-time for hijacking your thread lol. Somewhat on topic, I have heard that Servion is the man for anything Honda related but don't know about other makes.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0

2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

T-time

Postby T-time » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:14

im going to see revolutions today

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:14

Depending which OTS map you use, Cobb's CLAIMS are either 11% (91 octane, no added hardware) or 17% (91 Octane, Cobb SRI) HP. Slightly different for torque. But those are sea-level tunes. Probably less up here.

I'm starting to wonder if modding this beast is even worth it. Maybe I'll just sell the thing and get something more workable later. Drive the damn Jeep for awhile.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

T-time

Postby T-time » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:14

i might just trade my car in... im literally an inch away from trading it in today

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:14

T-time wrote:i might just trade my car in... im literally an inch away from trading it in today

On what?
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”