Looking for IC parts

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
speedjunkie

Looking for IC parts

Postby speedjunkie » Sat May 29, 2010 9:14

As the title says, I'm looking for a website or something that has intercooler parts. The reason being that my current IC end tanks are not efficient and I want to make a new one. Take a look at the pic to see for yourself...

I'd like to have some end takes similar to this...

ImageImageImage

...but I'd like to see what else is out there before I commit myself to these, and actually if they could flow a bit smoother than these I'd like that too, maybe have more of an angle where the air enters and exits. If I can't find anything closer to what I need then I'll definitely get these though because they're already leaps and bounds better than what I have now.

I've done google searches and so far I haven't seen anything like what I need, and until I do, it leads me to believe I need to have it made.

Also, I think I read something within the last couple months or so about a new IC core design, has anyone heard anything about that? Supposedly it's better than bar and plate. I could be mistaken, it's been a while since I read it and I'm probably just "remembering" things that don't actually exist haha.

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:14

i had these on my vmount setup. http://thmotorsports.com/hks/hks_intercooler_end_tanks/1304ra043/i-38670.aspx?googlebase=1304-RA043-03-
the design actually was alot more efficient compared to the blocky side tanks and i was able to get full boost right at 3k

but i think the design youre thinking of maybe from blitz but im not quite fully sure on that.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat May 29, 2010 9:14

I don't really have room for those though. I did see them but they stick out a bit too far on the sides, know what I mean? Thanks though! I do like the ones I put up in the pics, but if I can find some that flow even better I'll get those. If not, I'll get the ones in the pics above and get another core. Speaking of which, which company makes a really good core that you know of? I thought about hacking up my IC but I'll probably just try to sell it as is. Thanks Ian!

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sat May 29, 2010 9:14

If you sell your intercooler I might take it! I wasn't really considering going v-mount, tho

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:14

as far as flow best one i can think of is re amemiya. they use almost the same setup with the touge monster(baby blue fd) and their JGTC race car. this guy i know in texas his name is nick and has the exact setup as the touge monster on his fd. no lag whatsoever.

or you can get the same design they have on fcs. http://www.tecarts.com/photo/p02/img/03.jpg
its from the sexy knights drift car. the end tanks have a straight through and what looks like a very efficient flow. almost like the efficiency if a top mount but without the downsides of a top mount ie. heat soak

and oh yea a tune would help out too. lol

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun May 30, 2010 9:14

Dave, I'll let you know what transpires with this and you can see if you want the IC.

Ian, I've actually thought about the one in the link because it seems to be probably the most efficient one, but I'm not sure I'll be able to pull off the straight-out-the-back-design. I'll have more of an angle to how the IC is mounted, like it is now, and because of that I need it to come out at more of an angle going up. I'll have to do a search for the RE Amemiya one, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that it's probably UNGODLY expensive and therefore out of my range of options haha.

And yes Ian, I'm aware I need a tune. LOL Actually that's why I'm working on this now, so I can have it all ready to tune and not need to get a new tune until the next engine comes around.

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:14

you need some custom intercooler piping (obviously) and youre right, the intercooler does have to be angled higher but it looks like it can be done easily. cause ive seen it done in fcs with a 13bre with the same greddy compression tube. so i would think it would work just fine.

the amemiya will cost only about $3500 for the kit. or you can go all out and build a panspeed one which is a TRUE cold air intake setup with crazy flow.
Attachments
panspeed-rx7-08.jpg

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:14

That's just it though, I already have my radiator set up where I need it to be. I don't want to have to mess with how it's angled and mounted when I can just find some end tanks that will work or design my own and have them built to be the right angle. And I'm SURELY not paying $3500 for a kit now when I can make my own haha. I kinda like making shit custom anyway. Obviously I won't be the one actually MAKING it, but I may end up having to design the end tanks so it will still be one off. Had I known all this back when I bought this kit, I wouldn't have bought it and just made my own. Probably would have been cheaper.

I asked Sean at A-Spec what size IC core to go with and he said no longer than 18" and probably around 3.5" thick, although the thickness doesn't have as much effect as the length. He also said to have my entrance piping a little bigger diameter than the exit piping to make up for the pressure loss.

I also noticed something last night with those end tanks I want that I posted in the first post. Those are going to be offset from each other. So where one will be entering up and to the rear, the other will be exiting down and to the front. That would be great for cooling ALL the air evenly, or so I've read, but I'm not sure I can fit that under my hood mounted like that. So I'm back at square one.

On a side note, I do like how they have the piping from the IC to the elbow though, I'd like to do that with mine but I'm not sure I want to tackle the task because of the fuse/relay box that will have to be relocated.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:14

I think I might have found some stuff that should work!

http://www.avoturbo.com/avoshop/index.php?cPath=170_178_204

Some of it is kinda expensive and it's in Australia, but some of them are dead on for size!

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:14

Those are nice end tanks.

IMO I still don't think you're going to get that big a performance benefit from them. The biggest difference will probably be a decrease in boost threshold and not much more power.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:14

You're probably right, but I'm going to try anyway haha. I'm not really looking for more power, I'm looking for the best/quickest response possible from the turbo.

Sean from A-spec told me I should go with 18 x 11.8 x 3.5 for a core, and have 3" inlet and 2.75" outlet to help with pressure loss. So that's what I'm looking at doing. I'll probably just get some tanks made so I can do the different inlet/outlet sizes too.

The only thing is my turbo outlet is 2.5 or 2.75 I think, so I'll have to adjust size there and the GReddy pipe is 2.75 or something I think. Basically it boils down to going from this size to that size and back to this size and back down to that size. Will that really help, you know?

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”