Starting Issues

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
bellalyssa

Starting Issues

Postby bellalyssa » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:14

Alright, so a bit ago I changed my spark plugs in an attempt to fix some starting and running issues my car was having. Now the starting issues are back, but the running issues no longer exist.

What's happening is at least once every two days when I go to start my car, it doesn't want to turn over like normal. It sits... tries to start, but it won't. I lay off and try to start it again and when it does it turns over so slowly and my whole car rocks (less now with the motor mount). Finally it gets to a normal idle and it's fine.

I don't know what to do because we've checked the battery, replaced the purge solenoid (which was supposed to fix it), the starter and I've put fuel injector cleaner through my car.

Anyone have any ideas?
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:14

What running issues were you experiencing that you no longer are?

When you say it turns over slowly, and rocks your car, is the motor spinning very slowly, like the starter is struggling to get the motor spinning? Does it sound like it wants to start, but just can't catch?

Do you smell any fuel when it won't start?

Right off the bat, it's difficult for me to tell but I'm leaning to an electrical issue if anything.
:eek:

bellalyssa

chickenwafer wrote:What running issues were you experiencing that you no longer are?

When you say it turns over slowly, and rocks your car, is the motor spinning very slowly, like the starter is struggling to get the motor spinning? Does it sound like it wants to start, but just can't catch?

Do you smell any fuel when it won't start?

Right off the bat, it's difficult for me to tell but I'm leaning to an electrical issue if anything.

The running issues were an uneven idle where it would be smooth and then shake the car, smooth then shake.

Turning over slowly relates to the motor spinning slowly and catching slowly. It definitely wants to start, it's just having an issue doing so. It's like the starter is working harder than it needs to to get the engine doing.

No fuel smell when it won't start.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:14

Your complex valvetrain motors are too difficult to diagnose :lol:

I would vote there is still some kind of issue with the starter. I know you said you already replaced it, but it could be it's not getting full voltage. Did you replace the solenoid too? You can try running direct power from the battery to the starter to see if it will help kick it over easier. Otherwise it could be a start control related issue...
:eek:

bellalyssa

So check the starter...

Does it make sense that it only happens every few days?

Sorry to confuse you with my piston operated engine :D

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:Your complex valvetrain motors are too difficult to diagnose :lol:

I would vote there is still some kind of issue with the starter. I know you said you already replaced it, but it could be it's not getting full voltage. Did you replace the solenoid too? You can try running direct power from the battery to the starter to see if it will help kick it over easier. Otherwise it could be a start control related issue...

haha very difficult indeed.

+1 on starter or battery.

cranking slowly isnt normal when the battery is fully charged. also you can get a metal pipe or hammer and tap on the starter while someone cranks the engine. if it seems like the starter is starting to catch faster while tapping on the starter usually means a bad starter.

also check the voltages on the battery just in case.

edit: and yes the starter will start going out in an intermittent matter.

tbot

Postby tbot » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:14

coil packs...had similar issue with my old car, but it also thru a cel...

then again if its slow cranking, sounds like the starter isnt getting enough juiced...so bad cableing for the battery as in the ground possibly, or maybe to the starter itself...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:14

My car was throwing a CEL but changing the purge solenoid got rid of it.

I'll check the starter this weekend and see what's up, then I'll let you guys know.

Ryanmmacoustic

Postby Ryanmmacoustic » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:14

bellalyssa wrote:My car was throwing a CEL but changing the purge solenoid got rid of it.

I'll check the starter this weekend and see what's up, then I'll let you guys know.

you jinxed me
started my car this morning and it didnt want to turn over...let it sit for a minute or two...started up just fine
but when it did start up i heard a really loud thud lol...can't be good.
so this weekend im changing spark plugs because i need to. oil because i need to and maybe looking for some motor mounts
which ones did you end up buying?

bellalyssa

I got the cpe rear motor mount and I'll be getting the streetunit side mounts soon.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:14

Be prepared for extreme vibrations and tranny whine when you put the side mounts on, hehe. People will question if your car is broken when they ride in it.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

bellalyssa

Is the vibration that bad with the side mounts? It's not a bad thing is it?

tbot

Postby tbot » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:14

Its bad...really bad lol. My rear view mirror shakes so bad I can't see shit...my steering wheel shakes it feels like I'm getting a massage, and same with the peddles, altho that mostly kinda tickles.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:14

^^damn thats crazy

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:14

Hm... no side mounts then lol.

So we figured out I have a bad battery and one of the grounding wires is corroded.

I want a lightweight battery but is there a company that makes those that are also reliable?

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”