All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
S4baby

Postby S4baby » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:14

I have a question about my dash cluster. I have a 1986 non turbo, and my tach sometimes work and then stops same as my speedo but my gas and batt volt gauage works. And then the temp and oil press gauage doesnt work. Could that be the cluster or the connections behind it thats messed up

Number2

Postby Number2 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14

First, you could disassemble the cluster and reconnect all the connections since that's the cheapest and easiest first move. Second, try switching out the entire cluster with a known good one - if that works, and it's borrowed, then try picking one up at a junkyard.
step 3....?
step 4 = Profit.
"Littering, and?..."

erod550

Postby erod550 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14

My Neon used to do that and it ended up being that the solder on several of the connections had rattled loose over time. Had it resoldered and it worked fine after that.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14

First, welcome to the club! You should come hang out with us sometime.

Second, good luck with the repairs. I'd try what Number2 suggested, if disconnecting and reconnecting the harnesses doesn't work, swaptronics will at least tell you if the problem is in your cluster or outside that.

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14

welcome

the tach issue can be a trailing coil going out. the tach reads off the trail coil itself. oor it can be a short on your 25 year old wiring.

on your speedo you can check the cable that goes behind the cluster down all the way to the rear of the trans.

the coolant sensor is located on the driver side of the engine. its above the heater core hose. check if thats even plugged in. if it is, its most likely the sensor

but do the obvious and check fuses and what not but its most likely your cluster or the body harness. i had to replace the one in my fc. its fairly easy i guess

i would like to check out your problems, its kinda hard for me to tell what it exactly is if im not with the car itself.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”