Hypertech Tuning

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:14

LOLZ... I guess I was imagining things (including KR) before I put in the plugs then...

Anyway, tut... No, my LTFT is similar to what yours is now, stock. Before HT my LTFT was very high just like you with all the bolt ons. You can run HT on stock intake just fine.
Image Image

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:14

tbot wrote:LOLZ at this discussion. I ran stock plugs on my practically fully bolted setup running 18 psi and saw no KR. The only reason to run colder plugs is if you can not tune out KR.

Also, Paul, how do you know its load cut?!?! You have no way of logging, so it could be boost, load, fuel (which is my guess). The HT is supposed to get rid of the boost and load cut limits (again...supposed to). Until you can start data logging, this goes for EVERYONE, I wouldn't mess with a tune because you have no idea whats going on with it. There's too many variables that could go wrong which WILL result in zoom zoom boom. So be careful, and be smart about what you're doing.

+1

And if your setup isn't EXACTLY as directed by Hypertech in the programmer options, then you may be asking for trouble.

Number2

Postby Number2 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:14

I got this from another forum:

FAQ: What mods will the Hypertech tune support?

The Hypertech tune in the Max Energy Sport programmer will work with most all bolt-on modifications, within the limitations of the stock turbo and injectors. This includes aftermarket exaust, intakes, inlet pipes, downpipes, top and front mounted intercoolers.

The time we spent to develop this tune and ensure that all air mass and torque calculations are correct at the higher power levels create a perfect platform for bolt-on mods. Because these cars use a Mass Airflow Sensor to measure the incoming air, any additional air (power) provided by bolt-on mods will be accurately measured and immediately accounted for by the ECU, which will adjust the spark and fueling appropriately for the best, safe power we have already tuned for. Because our tuning maintains an accurate engine model in the calibration, there is no need for custom "maps" for every bolt-on modification.

We correct the MAF calculations based on the type of air intake you have, and adjust the boost and load cut limits to work with the intake and exhaust mods, but leave them in place to protect the engine from mechanical failure.
"Littering, and?..."

tbot

Postby tbot » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:14

I never said it removed the cuts, but if its adjusting them based on MAF volts, then you should NOT be experiencing cuts based off load or boost. The only cut now is going to be fuel. If you're getting fuel cuts, thats really bad, which means its only a matter of time before major fail.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Number2

Postby Number2 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:14

tbot wrote:I never said it removed the cuts, but if its adjusting them based on MAF volts, then you should NOT be experiencing cuts based off load or boost. The only cut now is going to be fuel. If you're getting fuel cuts, thats really bad, which means its only a matter of time before major fail.

I know I should be monitoring everything that goes on with my car. I'm a little strapped for cash (esp. now after the hypertech). Would someone be willing to loan me their dash hawk for a few days so I can see how my car is running?
"Littering, and?..."

Number2

review

Postby Number2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:14

Here's a pic of the factory plugs a couple of weeks ago. 23k miles.
Evidence of them running slightly lean.

"Littering, and?..."

Number2

I received the hypertech Max Energy Sport Power programmer (or just hypertech for short) in the mail yesterday along with the Denso Iridium plugs. I was very excited to get it installed, but I figured I would watch the tutorial video that came packaged with it. The video is general in that it applies to various makes/models and the different kind of settings you could have. Not all settings apply to the Mazda, however. One thing I did pay attention to, was to remove all electronic devices that would use a charge: stereo fuse, ipod charger, radio off, AC / heat off, dome lights off etc.. When this was done, the installation was a breeze. The instructions are idiot proof, as long as you know what settings you want. I removed the 0-60mph restriction, programmed it for my cp-e xcel cold air intake, kept the settings for the rev limiter and max speed the same, and that was basically it.
"Littering, and?..."

Number2

First impressions: 1st and 2nd gear have very noticeable power gains, and run much quicker up to redline. 3rd and 4th gear gains seem less noticable, but can probably be seen from a dynamometer. More importantly, the car ran strong all the way up to 6k rpms without any hestitation or load/fuel/boost cut. This was the main reason for my purchase and for this I am smiling from ear to ear.

I haven't installed the Denso Iridium plugs as I'm going to wait and see how the car runs with the current spark plugs. They are a +1 step colder plug that is recommended for use with hp ratings anywhere from 50-80 above stock levels.

"Littering, and?..."

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:14

Awesome! Have fun!
Image Image

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14

Thanks for the update :)
one and one makes two, together we are free

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14

Sounds like the HyperTech is a good tuning tool. Do you have any ability to make custom maps and alter fueling and timing maps?
:eek:

tbot

Postby tbot » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14

No way with this to do custom tuning. On the other hand they have done some very well made maps vases on different intakes so fuel trims are very close to spot on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Number2

Postby Number2 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14

Like Tbot said, no custom maps, just plug and go.

The claim of +68 hp over stock is only at 6,500 rpms where the factory hp drops off to 159 hp.
The peak Horsepower is +24hp over stock at 3350 rpms, and +37hp at 6000 rpms.
The peak Torque is +38 ft-lbs over stock at 3350rpms and +32 ft-lbs at 6000 rpms.

"Littering, and?..."

04rx8

Postby 04rx8 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:14

I'm curious this vs Cobb ap which I already have.
Silver 06 speed6 mods: E85 mix 40/60, Atp highflow catted DP, Cobb Accessport, custom AP pro tune by Servion tuned at 22psi. Corksport FMIC with Ram Air intake, SURE Engine Mount, HKS 2 step colder plugs gaped .28, Forge v2 bpv, Straight piped exhaust 2.5 IN, light weight 17 in black wheels lowered on Tien lowering springs, slotted rotors, hawk pads all around. When I get back from afganistan built block, big turbo, clutch and supporting mods :)

reconbygod12

Postby reconbygod12 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:14

i dk its pretty much a biast thing from what im seeing with my car the ap map was a miss i was pretty lean
2008 wrx sedan-new love
09 cwp mazdaspeed 3 GT-gone
04 mazda 6s-gone

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”