Question about recirculating BOV into turbo

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
speedjunkie

Question about recirculating BOV into turbo

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:14

I have the Synapse Synchronic BOV that I picked up from Rush24 and decided to recirculate it back into the turbo inlet.

My question is do I need to ensure that it hits the center of the turbo or does it matter if it's off-center? Would that imbalance the wheel? Would it be better to angle it so it's putting the air more in the direction the wheel will be spinning? (not sure if that makes sense haha) Here is how I'm going to have it run...

...through the front of this filter...

I also have a question about vacuum routing for this. It needs to read off of the IC piping near the turbo, would it be OK to split it off the line going to the boost controller solenoid (which I currently am doing but I'd rather not do to be honest) or do they need to have dedicated lines?

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:14

i guess thats the best way since i know you dont wanna weld it to the hotside pipe. and no it wont imbalance the turbine. the turbine will be spinning waaay to fast for it to be affected.

yes its ok to t off the vacuum hose for the boost controller. shouldnt affect anything.

edit: where'd you get that hose coming from the bov? is that a radiator hose? lol

speedjunkie

Yeah it's a radiator hose. What, are you really knocking me for using a radiator hose for an air hose, Mr. Spark PLUG? LOL

Alright thanks, I guess I'll just go ahead and cut the hole in the end of the filter. Do you think I should angle it to where it's blowing in the direction the impeller will be spinning or just straight onto the impeller?

Oh, and check out post #8 and my response to him in my thread on 7club lol.
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=936141

speedjunkie

Oh, and I wouldn't have a problem putting it on the hotside of the IC, I just want to get it running and on the road again and see how this thing performs before I go changing stuff like that and then end up having to go back to the Tial for whatever reason.

Here are some thoughts I had on the issue, not sure if any of them are true...

hotside...
more direct air pressure +
warmer air instead of cooler -

coolside...
less direct air pressure -
cooler air into turbo +
possibly better pressure kept in IC since it's being relieved AFTER the IC +?

Again, not sure if the cooler air into the turbo makes much difference and not sure if the air pressure in the IC even makes sense or if it's true, just a thought.

Ideally for air flow and routing I'd much rather have it on the hotside, but if any of my thoughts are correct I'd gladly sacrifice any minor loss of airflow for the benefits.

iani1.1

im not knocking on your radiator hose or anything like that. its just odd seeing a radiator hose used like that lol. whatever works right?

i say toward. like, cut the rubber part on the top of the filter and insert it through there.

yea people some people on rx7club just dont know how to read and try to be assholes for the hell of it.

the factors the affect the turbo are mostly temp and humidity? or was it barometric pressure? i dont quite remember but yea. when ambient temp is usually cold its good for the turbo but you get mad boost creep no matter what. im sure you already knew that. soo yes cooler air does make a difference.

as for keeping pressure in the intercooler to keep it charged i have not a clue.

speedjunkie

Haha, I knew you weren't knocking me, I was just giving you a hard time hahaha. I was going to use clear hose from Lowe's but I figured if I got any oil in my line that would look nasty lol.

I'm gonna have to put it through the upper part of the filter anyway since I'll barely have any room, or maybe not enough room because of my IC. I'm thinking of angling it over to the right as well though.

Actually I didn't know about boost creep in relation to this haha. I did know about cooler air making more power, but I think everyone in the auto world knows that haha.

iani1.1

speedjunkie wrote:Actually I didn't know about boost creep in relation to this haha. I did know about cooler air making more power, but I think everyone in the auto world knows that haha.

yes, but some surprise me... like the people at the *ahem* shell station.

speedjunkie

Yeah, and the guys from the lube shop LOL.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:14

I use a radiator hose on my Synapse too.

As for the recirculated air being cooler or warmer really affecting things, I doubt it will make any difference because it's going to be such a small amount of air that gets recirculated, and when it does you're not generally on the throttle trying to make power at that second anyway because it's between shifts.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

speedjunkie

Yeah the temp of the air was just a side mention, not really the point of the whole thing. Really the point I was going for was should I aim it right at the center of the impeller or towards the side angled down so it pushes the blades more, or I would think it would anyway.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”