Turbo rebuild in CO?

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
speedjunkie

Turbo rebuild in CO?

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14

Are there any shops in CO that rebuild turbos? Dan told me about somewhere in Ft Collins called TEC, but I looked them up and it says they are in Cali.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14

This is the only place I've found: http://www.coloradoturbo.com/Turbocharger_Repair__Turborepair.net.html although it looks like they mostly do OEM turbo repairs so not sure about your 500R.

TEC looks like they've moved, or simply went out of business and someone else took the name. They used to be in Golden, however.
:eek:

Dange

Postby Dange » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14

revo maybeable to do it, i was actually talking to them briefly about changing the stock compressor housing on my turbo for one from a 16g
04MSMGT

reconbygod12

Postby reconbygod12 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14

mac does it but im not sure how pricey they are
2008 wrx sedan-new love
09 cwp mazdaspeed 3 GT-gone
04 mazda 6s-gone

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:14

Dange, where is Revo? I don't know about going back to MAC, I heard their tuning was good but not sure about the maintenance. Now I'm not even sure about the tuning haha.

I'll look into the one you posted Dave.

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:14

TEC is indeed in Cali and is not longer even owned by the original owner, long sad story there.

Central Motive Power rebuilds turbos, but are not cheap

MAC DOES NOT rebuild turbos, they send them out and have them done.

There is a company locally who rebuilds turbos and has a balancer, but they are a PITA to work with and I no longer even consider them.

McKinney (sp?) Turbo rebuilds deisel turbos and has for a long long time, but not sure they are still around or would be the right guys for a high-performance turbo build.

Depending on the turbo, brand, etc. I have specific people around the US I send turbos to to have them rebuilt, feel free to give me a call and I will be glad to help.
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

speedjunkie

I was already planning on sending it to Majestic in TX if I have to send it somewhere, if not to A-Spec where I originally got it. I was just looking to see if there was somewhere local so I could keep from shipping it.

I was talking to A-Spec a week ago already and they were asking me if I knew it was the turbo that was bad, and I said I'm getting oil in the intake piping so either way that's not a good sign. They haven't gotten back to me since. I'm not even looking for warranty work, and I'm not sure it's even still under warranty. Furthermore, I heard they're really backed up and I'd like to not wait forever to get it back.

I'm getting a new turbo/kit regardless, but in the mean time I need to either rebuild this one or get a replacement. I actually found a replacement on RCC but I don't really have the money for it right at this moment. Maybe after payday.

COSpeed3

Postby COSpeed3 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:Dange, where is Revo? I don't know about going back to MAC, I heard their tuning was good but not sure about the maintenance. Now I'm not even sure about the tuning haha.

I'll look into the one you posted Dave.

Revo's on Fillmore in between Nevada & I-25, across the st. from Dairy Queen
[SIZE="1"]BC Racing- Adjustable Coilover Kit
Cobb–Access PORT
Cork Sport-FMIC,Intake,Inlet
Denso-Iridium Spark Plugs HR:8
DG Motorsports-Carbon Fiber Engine Cover
Edge-Insight CS Scan Tool
Innovate-LC1 Wideband Gauge
Luminics-Fog,High Beams
MSR Wheels-045 Black w/ red stripe
Pro Sport-Carbon Fiber Emergency Brake Handle,Carbon Fiber Hood Damper
RPM-Vent Pod
Sure Motorsports-Return Recirculation Tube,Engine Mount,Anchors,Counter Shift weight,ShortCut
Turbo Smart-Dual Port BOV
Turbo XS-TBE[/SIZE]

speedjunkie

Oh I didn't realize it was here in town. Nice! That's even better haha.

COTURBO

Postby COTURBO » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:14

Hey, google analytics said someone has been visiting my website from this forum. I'm not here to solicit business, just wanted to poke my head in and say hi.

I try to stay away from gas engine turbo rebuilds because

1)Usually small frame turbos cannot be rebuilt. The tolerances for regrinding the turbine shafts/bearing surfaces are too tight, so if you feel shaft play, it's over

2)I have to compete against firms that use $20 bearing kits from China. My parts costs are usually $100 just for bearings, which means that I cannot compete against a $125 rebuild.

3)I have to compete against chinese turbos that cost as much as a full reman or CHRA. The latest scam is to label a turbo as "rebuilt" and to sell it for $500, and really, the turbo is a $100 China special that is brand new.

4)I have to argue with people who say you don't have to re-balance a turbo after it has been amateurishly rebuilt with ebay bearings. If you don't have to do it, why do I have a balancer? And if it's not needed, why does my balancer shake around and say that you didn't regrind anything? I know I have the only balancer in the state, but that only means that the other guys are either doing it wrong or telling lies about what they are really doing.

5)An engine or customer that ruins a perfectly good turbo will ruin two perfectly good turbos. The only way to protect myself against liability in this situation is to use a pre-built CHRA from a vendor that assumes liability. I recently installed a new CHRA into a turbo from a DSM, and the DSM ate the new CHRA because the user or the installer deactivated the boost controls (wastegate) on the turbo. The turbo surged until the bearings were gone, and the assembly kissed the compressor housings. Naturally, this was my fault, but the manufacturer analyzed the failure and flagged it as 'operator error.' If I had built the CHRA myself, it would have been a lawsuit, but because I only sold the product, the customer and his broken turbo had to kick rocks. I tried to help them out, but they were too mad at me after the brand new unit failed and demanded a full refund.

Not being a vendor on this site, I cannot offer any special deals or solicit business. Just wanted to throw out some information. Yes, we do rebuilds, but I would prefer to sell HX35 turbos to speed freaks.

COTURBO

Postby COTURBO » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:14

D Walker wrote:TEC is indeed in Cali and is not longer even owned by the original owner, long sad story there.

Central Motive Power rebuilds turbos, but are not cheap

MAC DOES NOT rebuild turbos, they send them out and have them done.

There is a company locally who rebuilds turbos and has a balancer, but they are a PITA to work with and I no longer even consider them.

McKinney (sp?) Turbo rebuilds deisel turbos and has for a long long time, but not sure they are still around or would be the right guys for a high-performance turbo build.

Depending on the turbo, brand, etc. I have specific people around the US I send turbos to to have them rebuilt, feel free to give me a call and I will be glad to help.

I am a PITA, I guess.:lol: Full time adult student on the GI bill at DU and I have no time for phone calls most days-in fact, I don't answer the phone because most phone calls are from price shoppers who want me to do work for free. I do return calls, but most people are heartbroken to learn that it will cost $800 to fix a ball bearing turbo, and the other people I talk to want me to tell them it's ok to run a compressor wheel with foreign object/debris damage.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”