Intake & recommended high altitude mods?

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
IAlienzI

Intake & recommended high altitude mods?

Postby IAlienzI » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

I would like to purchase an intake for my 2007 Mazda 3i. I was wondering how well it would respond to this having in mind the altitude we live in.

What would people here recommend doing as far as mods that work in this elevation? Other than turbo. I have started saving for a turbo down the road.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:14

IAlienzI wrote:I would like to purchase an intake for my 2007 Mazda 3i. I was wondering how well it would respond to this having in mind the altitude we live in.

What would people here recommend doing as far as mods that work in this elevation? Other than turbo. I have started saving for a turbo down the road.

Unfortunately, intakes don't do a ton on the NA engines. I have a Simota CF intake (classifieds) that was on my 3S. It changed the looks under the hood more than anything. It changed the intake noise and may have produced a little better throttle response. I stopped trying to make any kind of NA power out of my 3 and went more after suspension/handling before I stripped some parts off and sold it.

Just keep saving for that turbo (there is a kit for sale in the classifieds currently) or attack handling. Once you get a turbo on, you'll need better breathing, so intake and exhaust would probably help more at that point.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”