RF85, possible no lube solution?

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
speedjunkie

RF85, possible no lube solution?

Postby speedjunkie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:14

http://rf85.com
http://rf85.com/applications/race-engines/

Several years ago I heard about Anderson Arms using this stuff on their rifle internals and they fired several thousand rounds with no lube and no issues. You clean the rifle internals with soap and water, unless you're storing them for a long period, then they suggest using some oil.

Apparently it's also applied to race engines. Since I first heard of it I've been meaning to look into this for the apex seals and other parts of the engine, but now I'm thinking about even more things in there. ALL the surfaces that make contact. All the seals including the oil control ring trays and both the surfaces they make contact with (housings and irons), the rotor and stationary bearings and the e-shaft, all of it.

I contacted the company to see what kind of heat it can handle and if it's good with all fuel types and oil. I'm assuming that part should be OK since they do race engines, but the heat is mainly what I'm concerned about since it will be seeing combustion directly. I'm really hopeful for this.

speedjunkie

Re: RF85, possible no lube solution?

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:14

I got a call from them and they said that heat doesn't matter, so it looks like a go for the seals and contact surfaces. For the rotor and stationary bearings and the e-shaft, I'm still not sure because he says you don't want to run too much oil. He said we'll only use about 10% of what we normally use. So that's good for the apex seals, won't have to premix much, if at all. But I'm not sure how to limit the oil going to the bearings, if we'd even want to. He said they do the rear ends for NASCAR and they use oil that is more like kerosene, and not very much of it. It's just that everything in me tells me to use oil in a rotary. I figure we should be able to use oil with it, but I still need to call them back when I get home in a few months. 

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”