AccessPORT Info

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:14

Well, I picked up the AccessPORT this morning, which is the good news. The bad news is, due to a scheduling conflict with the dyno, I'm still running on the stock map. Good news is, when plugged in, and when we tested saving and uploading the stock map, it didn't brick my ECU.

I played with it on the drive home, and the live data function is pretty cool. Lots of different things to monitor there (including coolant temp! no more dummy gauge) We're working on rescheduling dyno testing for early next week. For now, a few teaser pics from my car. If anyone wants any other info, feel free to ask. A lot of neat things to play with on here, it does performance monitoring (0-60, 1/4 mile times, amongst other things), fuel mileage, reads codes, etc.

I'll let folks know what I think of the Cobb map once I can get that loaded and on the dyno for comparison runs.

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:14

Bad ass!! This is so cool Tim! Cant wait to hear how it does!
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Huzer21

It is very cool. I'm excited to get the Cobb maps and get them loaded into the car and see what kind of difference it makes. I'm on call this weekend, so that limits my testing ability today/tomorrow. I'm off on Monday (and heading down to Burt) so I'll play a bit more.

LM

Postby LM » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:14

Nice Tim. Let us know when you go back down to RP...if I am free, I might join ya...

Huzer21

I just played some more with it. It actually monitors about 10 different parameters (give or take a few). Coolant temp (good for RX-8s since ours is a dummy gauge), AFR, trailing/leading ignition. knock, speed, rpm, intake temp, and whatever else I'm missing. Display is large, bright, and easy to read. I didn't have any problems reading it in the daylight, and it's definitely bright enough at night.

I want the new map!!!

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:14

It was great getting out for lunch, Tim.

I am glad it is working. Did you have a chance to mess with the 0 to 60 and such on the way back.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Huzer21

I tried the 0-60 out, but I need to find a back road to do it properly. You obviously need to start from a complete stop, and if you're rolling at all, it basically locks the AP until you come to a stop. I managed one run of 6.9 for 0 to 60, and that was a run of trying to figure out how o use the damn thing. Haha.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:14

Cool. You have to post up side by side of the dyno charts Tim.

ImageImage

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:14

wow very cool dude!
Heavy duty adjustable dog leashes
http://www.TitanTuff.com

GR-8

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Huzer21 @ Feb 16 2008, 06:45 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=25983]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I tried the 0-60 out, but I need to find a back road to do it properly. You obviously need to start from a complete stop, and if you're rolling at all, it basically locks the AP until you come to a stop. I managed one run of 6.9 for 0 to 60, and that was a run of trying to figure out how o use the damn thing. Haha.[/b]

The on-ramp on downing for I-25 would be a good stop. Turn on to the ramp..... Stop...... Get set......and go. it's a long ramp and your 8 is quiet so you won't attract attention. Franklin and louisianna. Start down on the I-25 bridge and gun it down Franklin in front of South High. That's all the places I can think of near here that are good.

ImageImage

Huzer21

I'm looking forward to getting this on the dyno. Of course, until Cobb gives me the go ahead, I'll have to keep actual numbers under wraps (that means no public posting). Part of the joy of getting the AccessPORT. :)

I'll check out those ramps tomorrow, too.

GR-8

Best at night. Hardly any one getting on.

ImageImage

arctic_blue83

Postby arctic_blue83 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:14

That's awesome man! Sorry to hear no dyno time, but great that you didn't brick your ECU and are getting a V2 AP for free!! I'm very curious to see what kind of gains you'll see out of it, I'm assuming they're going to Protune it? Very cool man.

I would offer my STI to be a test car, but apparently I'm a few years, and several thousand people too late lol. Nice to see there's finally an ECU tuner device for the '8 though, if you eventually run a turbo kit, at least now you'll no longer need to pick up another EM device :) I know the '8 has been renown for retuning itself after being modified by a piggyback, hopefully, reflashing the ECU should override that. Very exciting stuff.

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:14

Ok, for those not familiar with the Cobb APs...here's what they do (first in general, taken from Cobb's website)

» Improve horsepower, torque, and fuel economy at the touch of a button
» Display vehicle data such as RPM, temperatures and more while you drive
» Easy installation, no mechanical or computer skills necessary
» Connects to your vehicle via the OBD-II port conveniently located under your dash
» Exclusive ability to switch between different 'modes' on the fly
» Pre-calibrated to maximize performance of stock or modified vehicles
» Easy-to-read color display
» Update over the Internet to stay up-to-date with the latest features
» Read engine trouble codes (DTC) yourself, eliminating trips to the dealership
» Not a "piggyback" - once vehicle's computer has been programmed by the AccessPORT, it can be removed and the settings will stay on your computer.
» Not just an "ECU reflash" - AccessPORT features enhancements such as on-the-fly mode switching, data monitors, reading DTCs, performance monitors and more
» Can be custom tailored to your vehicle by our extensive network of professional tuners

Now, for scrolling through the AP itself, here's what I've found for the RX-8 AP.

For Live Data, it keeps track of:

Accel Pedal Pos
Vehicle Speed
Rel Throttle Pos
Ign Tim. Trailing Coil
Ign Tim. Leading Coil
Short Term FT1
Long Term FT1
RPM
Metering Oil Pump Position
Mass Airflow
Engine Load
Intake Temp
Fuel Pulse Width
AFR
Coolant Temp
Battery Voltage

You can also check your fuel economy, both instant and average. Do performance numbers, although those are limited to 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

That's not the big deal with the AP. You can also check and clear your own CELs. Now, THAT'S not the big deal either. The biggest thing is the ability to save your current ECU flash, and upload new maps to the ECU. Initially, it'll be maps from Cobb (once it goes on sale, you'll be able to download maps over the internet, as well as AP updates as well). After you load your new map, you can disconnect the AP and wander on your merry way. It's not a piggyback device. And, once the Streettuner software is out, you can (at your own risk) create your own maps.

Please keep in mind the above live data that's monitored MAY change, as this is not the final release of the AP.

Those Meddling Kids

Postby Those Meddling Kids » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14

Talked to Cobb today. They are updating their tuning software this week but they said they should be able to get me a base calibration for you by Thursday. Once I have the map I'll call you to schedule.

Adam

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”