AccessPORT Info

All engines, transmission, and drivetrain discussion.
Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14

Sweet. Thanks for the update.

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:14

Update: I'll be heading to RP Friday 10:30 AM, and will be over there for 2-3 hours for testing.

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:14

sounds good tim, let us know the results...
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:14

I know it's a workday, but if anyone's interested in stopping by, I'll be there at 10:30 until who knows.

MS3_Mafia

Postby MS3_Mafia » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:14

Coming along really well Tim! Look forward to checking it out and seeing some numbers.
2007 Mazdaspeed3 Sport</span>
-Mazdaspeed Short Ram Intake
-HKS SSQV Bov
-Tein S-Tech Springs
-225/40/18 Nitto Neo Gen Tires on RX-8 Wheels

<span style="color:#FF0000">http://www.JTuned.com

arctic_blue83

Postby arctic_blue83 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:14

Any updates? I'm pretty anxious... :D

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:14

I just got settled in, made some dinner, watched some hockey, and booted up. Results from today:

Showed up at around 10:45 and rolled the car onto the dyno right away. We ran 5 baseline runs, and ended up with 171.0 hp and 124.1 lb-ft of torque. (No charts as of yet, just waiting for the email, or I could snap pics of the ones I have). Then the scary moment came. They downloaded the Cobb map, went to flash my car, and the AP locked up after it showed 100% flashed. It came back with a communication error, and could no longer talk to the car. So, Adam at RP got on the horn to Cobb. Long story short, 4 hours later, we received the upgraded firmware for the device and were able to resume testing.

We ran quite a few times on the Cobb map, until it seemed to be stabilizing. Once again, no charts as of yet (unless I take pictures) but I ended up with a 10.3 hp gain, and a mere 4 lb-ft increase in torque. Once the firmware was upgraded the AP worked great. I kept it plugged in for the drive home and messed around with some of the live data monitors again. The plots of stock vs stage 1 flash, are nearly identical on the dyno charts, just bumped up in power.

Very, very initial impressions: once up in the rev band, there seems to be slightly less hesitation (not that there was much before). I'll have to drive around some more and see what else arises. Looking forward to the feedback once Cobb analyzes the data they received from RP.

I would like to say a big thank you to Adam and Matt. Adam kept on Cobb to deliver the firmware for the AP today, and Matt was the one that ran the tests. They were also nice enough to stuff me with a double cheeseburger and a braut. Overall, a long day, but well worth it in the end.

Huzer21

Here are some pics from today...nothing exciting.

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:14

Cool wheel pic :)
Heavy duty adjustable dog leashes
http://www.TitanTuff.com

arctic_blue83

Postby arctic_blue83 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:14

Nice gains!! Just about in line with what I thought you would gain. You can see from the 2nd graph, same as that other "stage 1" RX-8, above 6000rpm, they leaned it out considerably. I'm assuming this is just a base flash, not a full Protune right? The AP is a V2 right? I'm assuming it has to be, since it's so new lol. It should have quite a few data logging options, I don't suppose it can log your car's stock knock sensor can it? I'm just curious, as I see that your car is now running as lean as 13:1 around 8000rpm, yet I don't see any dips in your curve at that RPM that would indicate it pulling timing... just wondering if you noticed any knock counts with the car on the dyno?

Overall though, very nice! Time to get a few mods and Protune it!! Congrats on being the first AP'd RX-8 in Colorado!

Huzer21

Correct, this is not a full Protune. RP just received the base maps from Cobb and applied those. And yes, it is a V2. They data logged a ton of stuff, and were sending that info on to Cobb. As far as knock counts, that I'm not sure of. I can monitor that with the AP, and check that out for myself, though. I tell ya, I was a bit surprised by the low base at first, until I remembered the types of numbers that come from this dyno. Heck, it was nearly a full 20 hp less than the car that ran on the Mustang.

And thanks for the congrats! It's been challenging at times, but I'm glad I've been able to work with the folks at RP to test this out. I'm just looking forward to finding out what the next step is.

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:14

Nice gain off of a rough map! Cant wait to see the full tune!
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

arctic_blue83

Postby arctic_blue83 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Huzer21 @ Feb 29 2008, 09:45 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=29227]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Correct, this is not a full Protune. RP just received the base maps from Cobb and applied those. And yes, it is a V2. They data logged a ton of stuff, and were sending that info on to Cobb. As far as knock counts, that I'm not sure of. I can monitor that with the AP, and check that out for myself, though. I tell ya, I was a bit surprised by the low base at first, until I remembered the types of numbers that come from this dyno. Heck, it was nearly a full 20 hp less than the car that ran on the Mustang.

And thanks for the congrats! It's been challenging at times, but I'm glad I've been able to work with the folks at RP to test this out. I'm just looking forward to finding out what the next step is.[/b]

From what I've seen come out of that dyno, those numbers are NOTHING to be ashamed of! Were they using a correction factor? If so, what CF were they using?

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:14

Very nice Tim. Can't wait to see the final tune.

ImageImage

Those Meddling Kids

Postby Those Meddling Kids » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:14

Those numbers were using a full standard SAE CF of 1.26 today. A stock wrx on our standard half CF for turbo cars makes about 155whp and a stock sti makes 215whp.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”