Handling thoughts/Weight

Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:14

As I order up parts and what not, I got to thinking about modifications, weight, and the the ultimate effect on handling. More specifically, weight reduction and how many variables even just on my car that have changed since I bought it. Unfortunately, I didn't weigh anything as it was going on the car, but I have a general idea of things. So far, underneath the car, I've swapped the sway, springs/shocks, and added strut bars. Except for the springs/shocks, everything else added weight to the vehicle. Most notably, the strut bars. Not a significant amount, but still, some weight. With the suspension, the car has been lowered about 3/4". Again, not significant, but a little. Now, I'll be swapping out the stock midpipe with an aftermarket soon, and that's about 15-17lbs, and the exhaust, which is another 15-20lb reduction over stock. The interesting thing, with the weight reduction coming from mostly the bottom of the car, this will actually somewhat raise the center of gravity, which would in turn, have a potential negative effect (however small) on the handling. Add in the increase of weight of the MS strut bars, and that further would raise the center of gravity of the car.

Ultimately, my main point is that I'm bored at work and just started thinking about chassis dynamics, for no particular reason. And how some folks just make random swaps on their cars without thinking about what the cumulative effect will be, no matter what the intentions might be.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri May 02, 2008 9:14

You're talking an added weight of what -50lb. I don't think it will make a dif. also bu lowering the car you've lowered your center of gravity. Now if you add a +50lb fin to the top of your car you will see a dif.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:14

Oh, I know what I've added/subtracted is pretty darn insignificant. Merely making observations. Once again, mostly because I'm bored, and I've always been a suspension type of guy. The variables that go into how a car handles are pretty amazing.

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:14

I thought this was a post about psychological needs and a diet. :5e73a009:
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

Rich

Postby Rich » Fri May 02, 2008 9:14

Tim, I'd say the overall performance increase of your mods will negate any ill effects you would be expecting from a *slight* adjustment in the cars center of gravity. Get out there and have fun with it man :) Oh, and start saving for the S/C kit :D

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”