Weird problem after coilover install.

Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
JROD

Postby JROD » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14

I’m stumped and wondering if anyone else has had this problem or may know what the deal is…

I recently installed a set of H&R Coilovers on my MS3. After the install, I drove it around for a couple of days to make sure the springs were settled and they were pretty much sitting in their final resting place. I adjusted the ride height until they were exactly 1.5 inches in the front and 1.0 inches in the rear. I liked the height in the front, so I left it, but wanted the rear lower by just a tad. On the rear perches there was about .5 of an inch left to go, so I split the difference leaving .25 of an inch left until the perches were down all the way. After this adjustment, put everything back together, took it around the block, pulled it back in the garage and remeasured. Come to find out, I was still sitting exactly at 1 inch in the rear (same as before). Scratching my head, I decided to just put the rear perches all the way down, put it back together, drove it around, etc. After pulling in the garage and measuring again, height is still sitting at exactly 1 inch lower than stock in the rear… I cut the bump stops slightly during the install and I have checked to make sure I am not riding on them. I have inspected everything I can think of, but cant for the life of me figure WTF is wrong….

Ideas? Has anyone else experienced this?

The rear rides pretty rough, but not overly harsh and I seriously doubt the shocks are THAT stiff to prevent the car from going any lower.

Thanks in advance!

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14

Im sorry but i have no clue about coils.... but i demand photos! :D
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14

Do you have the springs compressed/preloaded tightly with the top and bottom nuts?

JROD

Postby JROD » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Colombia28 @ Jun 19 2008, 09:29 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=53289]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Im sorry but i have no clue about coils.... but i demand photos! :D[/b]

Hahaha I will definitely post some up as soon as I take em. Just need to go out one of these nights to a good location.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dommo_g @ Jun 19 2008, 09:37 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=53292]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Do you have the springs compressed/preloaded tightly with the top and bottom nuts?[/b]

The H&R's are different and unfortunately, don't have top and bottom nuts to adjust preload, just height (I think the BC's do have preload adjustments). Also, in the front, the shock and spring are one assembly, but in the rear, the spring and perch are separate from the shock. The rears are actually kind of a pain to adjust... you must lower the control arms and take the perch completely out to adjust height. Once you do it a couple of times, you actually get pretty good/fast at it.

goldrocket

Postby goldrocket » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:14

Can you post a pic of the assembly? The offroad car my brother and I own is all coilover, and is simple to adjust. I might be able to help if I can see the assembly.
Al says
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!:eek:

JROD

Postby JROD » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goldrocket @ Jun 21 2008, 08:37 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=53564]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Can you post a pic of the assembly? The offroad car my brother and I own is all coilover, and is simple to adjust. I might be able to help if I can see the assembly.[/b]

Here are a few pics I stole from a write up on Mazda3 Forums..... His pics show the install of the BC coilovers and the only difference in the rear is the perches. The BC adjustable perches are on the lower control arm where the H&R's sit on top of the spring.

Link to the thread:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=110060.0

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:14

WTF? I don't see coilovers. :lol:

JROD

Postby JROD » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dommo_g @ Jun 21 2008, 12:19 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=53574]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
WTF? I don't see coilovers. :lol:[/b]

Front:

Rear:

The fronts are coilover set up, the rear is an adjustable spring perch separate from the shock.....

Still not sure whats wrong (if anything), but thanks anyway.......

goldrocket

Postby goldrocket » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:14

Is there not a lock nut on the perch adjuster to keep it from moving back to a previous setting. The fronts have them, I would imagine the rears do as well.
Al says
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!:eek:

JROD

Postby JROD » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goldrocket @ Jun 22 2008, 01:59 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=53657]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Is there not a lock nut on the perch adjuster to keep it from moving back to a previous setting. The fronts have them, I would imagine the rears do as well.[/b]

I am not sure if the BC's have a locking nut in the rear or not, but I know my H&R's do not have a locking nut. My rear perches are all the way down now so a locking nut really doesn't matter, but when they weren't all the way down, I didn't have any problems with perch staying exactly where I set it.

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:14

I've not had experience with a set up like that...but to me it looks like the rear is gonna sit at exactly the height that's determined by the spring, regardless of how much you adjust the perch, because it looks like the perch adjustment is only relative to its own position within the spring, and not that control arm. But like I said, I haven't seen that, so... :dunno:

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”