MS6 Springs

Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
bobopud

MS6 Springs

Postby bobopud » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:14

Okay, I am going to go against the norm here, mostly out of necessity. I want to get some stiffer springs to help with the stock suspension on the speed6, however, I don't want to lower my car anymore than it already is. Wheel gap does not bother me, and I al ready scrape the plastic brush guard comming out of my garage in the mornings, so going any lower won't be any nicer on my car.

Are there any springs out there that offer all of the benefits without lowering the car anymore? Everything I have seen shows at least some drop.

Also, please educate me on the basics of suspension mods. I have never done any and I think that will be my next set of upgrades after I decide on a tuner.

Thanks.
2006 SPEED6 Liquid Platinum Sport w/ Nav
Mods Completed - VG Sharkfin, 3M Clear Bra, SU Motor Mount, SU Test Pipe, 35% tint, VEI Digital Boost Gauge, Custom Defrost Vent Pod, PG Exhaust Manifold, CPE Turbo Inlet Pipe, CPE FMIC, Hacked Mazdaspeed CAI into SRI, Synapse BOV, Cobb Accessport EMS Tuner, CPE Dual 3" Catback Exhaust
Mods Needed - Catted Downpipe and finally a tune.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:14

You might be able to find some springs that only lower 1/2" to 3/4" but I don't think anyone makes stiffer springs that don't lower at all.

If you want the car to corner better maybe the way to go for you is larger sway bars and strut bars. and keep your stock springs.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Rich

Postby Rich » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:14

The RPM Sports are probably your best bet. Only 1/2" drop in front and rear, with a good increase in spring rate @ 18% front, 22% rear. Also they're fairly cheap, for $230.

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=91&products_id=442

Gmoney

Postby Gmoney » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:14

+1
I think your best bet would be the RPM Sport springs, claims that there is only a .5 inch drop Front and Back. They are 18% stiffer up front, and 22% stiffer in Back. I know Rich has there Street Springs and seems to be happy with them. Good Luck.....Let us know if you find any other options....
*CP-e CAI
*Turbo Inlet
*ETS 3.5" TMIC
*SU Test Pipe
*RPM Street Springs
*AeroForce Gauge
*RPM LED Side/Rear Markers
*SU Rear Engine mount
*Turbine Tech Front engine mount
*Cp-e Rear Diff Mount
*TurboSmart MBC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:14

So I was looking at the RPM store last night and see that they have their "street" set and their "sport" set of springs.

My MS6 being otherwise stock, will I notice any rubbing/clearance issues by going with the street springs? According to the ad, they'll drop the car 1.1 and .75 inches, front/rear respectively.

Also, what kind of labor hours should this take a shop, to install them?

Does anything else need to be purchased/replaced when swapping springs, or is it a simple 1-out-1-in procedure?

Thanks!

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:14

Sometimes, not always, when upgrading to a stiffer (faster) spring you'll want to upgrade your struts/shocks at the same time. The reasoning behind that is with the stiffer spring rates, the internal valving inside the strut/shock will quickly wear out due to the increased suspension movement speed.

Patrick- did you ever decide to get new springs? If so, I'll be there with tools in hand. Or we can do it in my garage.

That goes for you too Barn.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:14

Thanks for the info and the offer Tom. I'll definitely consider it, as Winter starts winding down. It sounds like a job that warm weather would make a lot more tolerable. Ha!

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:14

Nice warm car in a closed garage with some halogen lights- not too bad actually.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4

mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

bobopud

Postby bobopud » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:14

I'm still looking into it, but at this point I would rather get a FMIC and tuning. That will probably set me back close to $2000 unless I get a custom FMIC. Either way I have a hard time spending too much on something I want in this economy.

I think I will be in save mode until the economy starts to turn it around. I'm not worried about my job, but I don't have the reserves that I should at this point. Unfortunately the fun stuff should wait until I get the needs taken care of. I hate having to be a responsible adult.
2006 SPEED6 Liquid Platinum Sport w/ Nav
Mods Completed - VG Sharkfin, 3M Clear Bra, SU Motor Mount, SU Test Pipe, 35% tint, VEI Digital Boost Gauge, Custom Defrost Vent Pod, PG Exhaust Manifold, CPE Turbo Inlet Pipe, CPE FMIC, Hacked Mazdaspeed CAI into SRI, Synapse BOV, Cobb Accessport EMS Tuner, CPE Dual 3" Catback Exhaust
Mods Needed - Catted Downpipe and finally a tune.

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”