Shocks or Rotors?

Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
droid

Shocks or Rotors?

Postby droid » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:14

What should i get first? It's really all riding on how much i wanna spend but i like performance with leverage on expense. What i got on is stock from 1988, and i want to replace both of them. Is there a preference to what brand an FC convert. should be on them? If not is Powerslot a great buy? And i'm clueless about the shocks/suspension. Need a great pointer in what brand to buy and what should i do first.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:14

I would go with Powerslots, hawk pads and SS lines. The convertible is the heaviest of all RX-7s so it will help. Also the car is 20 years old so I would look over the master and also the calipers because they may be shot or on the way to going.

I'm not sure about a good set of springs for your car but I would go with Tokico Blue shocks.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:14

For a street car, those "performance" rotors are really a waste. A good quality blank rotor with some good pads, fresh fluid and even rubber lines in good condition will work great on a street car- even one that sees aggressive driving or track time. SS brake lines might be a good idea just because the car is getting old and old lines will balloon when the brakes are applied.

But the variable most people seem to forget in the braking equation is tires. Good tires will do more for stopping than good brakes. Afterall, it's the rubber that is in direct contact with the road, not the brakes

Personally, I'd go with the suspension before upgrading the brakes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:14

The only reason I thought the powerslot may help is the convertibles being so heavy. it may be a waste for you though. Tom is probably right about only going with good quality stock rotors, SS lines. I would still look the calipers, and master. If the master have never been replaced and it is in the buget then I would go a head and replace them. Rockauto.com has good prices on the master.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

droid

Postby droid » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:14

Sweet, yea. I know the performance on powerslot and yes my car is heavy, i'm watching the performance of this knock off slotted rotors on my friends rsx and ill prolly just get something similar.

Ill look into those master and calipers. cool i was told to get blue tokico and ill definately get that.

I'd like to set my suspension up asap but my brakes were going out and i'll prolly do that first since tokico might be next big budget.

appreciate the info!

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:14

im using napa brand rotors and ebc green stuff pads works pretty well with a set of tires in the back while canyon carving. the rotors tend do tend to glow after a few minutes of hard braking but hasnt locked up on me yet. as for shocks tokico blues are pretty good, if want to save a little extra cash id go with kyb its a little stiffer than oem. i currently have kyb shocks and eibach springs so far ive had no complaints and i also like the stock height as well

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”