Left rear brake overheating Mazdaspeed 3

Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
WINGSPD

Left rear brake overheating Mazdaspeed 3

Postby WINGSPD » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:14

Hello all, I just went out for a drive in my 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 as the night was cool and clear. When I got home, I could smell a burning plastic odor. At first I thought I may have run over a plastic bag or something that may have hung up on the exhaust or catalytic converter. I opened the hood; could smell nothing; sniffed under the car; nothing. I started toward my house, opened my door, Nope. Checked the neighbor's house; nothing there. Could intermittently still smell the plastic. Went around the car again. Then I heard it: pinking, tinking. I reached for the left rear wheel and could feel the heat radiating off of it. The wheel itself was HOT! :oI checked all the other wheels. Definitely more than a hundred Fahrenheit degrees difference. All the others were reasonably and normally cool. It is too dark to see what may be the problem, and I will certainly take it to the dealership as soon as possible. What say Ye regarding the cause; and do you think the dealership will stick me with the bill since brakes are a wear item? This certainly is a defect or failure that I haven't caused. I have only about 11500 relatively easy going miles. All other brakes are working properly. Car was purchased July 2008.

Rich

Postby Rich » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:14

I'd say dealer should pick up everything. The brakes are a wear item, but they are not wearing equally so I believe that is on them to repair. I don't think your problem would be described as normal wear.

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:14

My guess is that the caliper is sticking and dragging. Most likely the caliper will need to be torn apart and have the guide pins greased. Dealer should pick that up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

WINGSPD

Postby WINGSPD » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:14

Thanks guys for your replys. Rich, are you kidding? 4:20 a.m.? Just wanted to let all know that I drove it again this morning and all is back to normal. The rotor is not blue as I was expecting, but it does seem a bit glazed. I still will make an appointment to have it checked. This could be dangerous if the brake overheated this severely, at random times, and if I were to need it for emergency and it faded horribly or if the fluid had boiled.

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:14

Good thing it's only the rear. Rear brakes do so little for actual stopping because of the weight transfer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4

mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

Rich

Postby Rich » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:14

I work 5AM - 5PM, Sun - Tue and every other Sat. Wasn't kidding :)

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”