Understeer?

Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:14

Strange, although I'll chalk this event up to the tires being relatively cold (pressure should be spot on, although I'll have to make sure I'm not a pound or two too high). I decide to push the car ever so slightly this weekend, and noticed a tendency of understeer in the car. Other times that I had taken the same corners, I didn't notice that. Then again, I don't think that the Fuzion's are A+ tires, either. Hopefully, I can get out this week, scrub some heat into the rubber, and see if I get the same results.

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:14

You just swapped sway bars, right? Front and rear? If you put the factory front bar back in, the car will rotate better. Or you can try loading up the suspension in the corner and then let off the throttle quickly- just kidding: that could lead to a bad situation.

I have the factory Protege ES front sway bar on my car but a Racing Beat Mazdaspeed Protege rear sway bar. The car turns in very nicely now.

And it's fairly common among racers to disconnect the front sway bar to get the car to rotate- usually in autox.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

Buffalo

Postby Buffalo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:14

You have the same tires in front as well in back correct?
05 RX-8 RB revi (ram air) intake. ACT prolight flywheel. Clutch Masters stage 1. Axialflow short shifter. Tinted windows.
255 (f) Dunlap 275® Bridgestone

Up Next: Project RX-8!

Huzer21

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MazdaTom @ Nov 5 2007, 11:39 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=9530]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
You just swapped sway bars, right? Front and rear? If you put the factory front bar back in, the car will rotate better. Or you can try loading up the suspension in the corner and then let off the throttle quickly- just kidding: that could lead to a bad situation.

I have the factory Protege ES front sway bar on my car but a Racing Beat Mazdaspeed Protege rear sway bar. The car turns in very nicely now.

And it's fairly common among racers to disconnect the front sway bar to get the car to rotate- usually in autox.[/b]

Yup, I replaced front and rear with the RB bars. At first, I was wondering if the same ratio f/r as stock was used. A quick check shows that as true. I thought maybe the front had made a higher percentage stiffer over stock than the rear (hopefully, you can understand what I'm saying there).

Huzer21

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sleepy Buffalo @ Nov 5 2007, 12:57 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=9541]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
You have the same tires in front as well in back correct?[/b]

Same tires, same size. No stagger or anything. I'll wander around this evening and check it out again, just hadn't experienced the front end push like that with this car yet.

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:14

I'll chalk it up to cold tires. I was flying around yesterday and didn't experience the understeer as I did before. I need to get this thing out and really drive it. I'd love to get out on a track to get a better idea, the only problem is that I don't think 6'4" me+helmet+sunroof is a very viable combination.

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Huzer21 @ Nov 7 2007, 01:41 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=9841]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I'll chalk it up to cold tires. I was flying around yesterday and didn't experience the understeer as I did before. I need to get this thing out and really drive it. I'd love to get out on a track to get a better idea, the only problem is that I don't think 6'4" me+helmet+sunroof is a very viable combination.[/b]

just open the sunroof for extra headroom.... [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:14

Actually, if you can fit with helmet sticking through the sunroof, I believe you're OK'd for track use. I know a guy who autox'd his Porsche 924 and you could see his helmet sticking through his sunroof as he drove.

There's a track day coming up very soon down in Pueblo with NASA (like next weekend) plus another one at the State Patrol site in Golden. Getting on track is a great way to legally and relatively safe way to explore the limits of your car and your abilities. I hope to get back into that in the near future.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MazdaTom @ Nov 7 2007, 02:32 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=9856]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Actually, if you can fit with helmet sticking through the sunroof, I believe you're OK'd for track use. I know a guy who autox'd his Porsche 924 and you could see his helmet sticking through his sunroof as he drove.

There's a track day coming up very soon down in Pueblo with NASA (like next weekend) plus another one at the State Patrol site in Golden. Getting on track is a great way to legally and relatively safe way to explore the limits of your car and your abilities. I hope to get back into that in the near future.[/b]

what does the golden one cost and when is it? I would be curious to push my 6 a little.... [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.gif[/img]
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:14

The Golden one is like next weekend. I think each one is $150. It's probably too late for the Pueblo one as you have to join NASA, get your car teched (MAC will do it- as will several other shops in town). I'm not sure about the deadline for the Golden one. I was kinda planning on stopping by just to check it out- maybe get a ride or two.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MazdaTom @ Nov 8 2007, 07:36 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=9948]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
The Golden one is like next weekend. I think each one is $150. It's probably too late for the Pueblo one as you have to join NASA, get your car teched (MAC will do it- as will several other shops in town). I'm not sure about the deadline for the Golden one. I was kinda planning on stopping by just to check it out- maybe get a ride or two.[/b]

mmm don't have time to get my car spec'd and I drive like an ass for free on public roads...or until johnny law revokes
my license....
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”