Whos Using Hawk Brake Pads?

Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RX-7 Chris @ Nov 8 2007, 10:05 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=9980]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I will have to remember never to let you ride behind me in case of brake falure.[/b]

never had brake failure in the past, and if there was an issue i would take the shoulder so I wouldn't hit you. [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:14

Oh plz then why didn't you take the shoulder when you hit me last week!
Heavy duty adjustable dog leashes
http://www.TitanTuff.com

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpeedRacer @ Nov 8 2007, 12:11 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=10005]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Oh plz then why didn't you take the shoulder when you hit me last week![/b]

My guess: because he wanted to corn-hole you!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpeedRacer @ Nov 8 2007, 12:11 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=10005]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Oh plz then why didn't you take the shoulder when you hit me last week![/b]

it couldn't have been you as I couldn't keep up. In terms of bumping your behind, Lee is better suited for that
job than me. He has a faster car. [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

memphis

Postby memphis » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:14

OK, so I installed these today and OMG, the car stops on a freakin dime!!! I cant wait to get the rear set to put on next weekend..

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Memphis @ Nov 11 2007, 09:54 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=10319]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
OK, so I installed these today and OMG, the car stops on a freakin dime!!! I cant wait to get the rear set to put on next weekend..[/b]

nice, how long did it take you to do just the fronts? you doing a DIY? [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:14

Did you bed them in? I've had excellent results after swapping brake pads if I go and do several 45-60 mph slow downs to about 5-10 mph back to back. If I do about 8 of those, the brakes will probably be smoking and stink really bad, but once they cool back down they will work great for the rest of their life.

When I bedded my EBCs in- I did my slow downs out on Wildcat Reserve Pkwy (for those HR peoples) at night. There was a slight tail wind when I was going one direction and a stinky (but somehow so sweet smelling) cloud would roll passed my car and fill up my head lights when I slowed down to nearly a stop.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

memphis

Postby memphis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6i_guy @ Nov 12 2007, 09:22 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=10337]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
nice, how long did it take you to do just the fronts? you doing a DIY? [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img][/b]

It took me just under an hour to do both sides... it wasnt really hard at all, actually it was alot more easier than I thought it was gonna be..

memphis

Postby memphis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MazdaTom @ Nov 12 2007, 09:30 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=10341]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Did you bed them in? I've had excellent results after swapping brake pads if I go and do several 45-60 mph slow downs to about 5-10 mph back to back. If I do about 8 of those, the brakes will probably be smoking and stink really bad, but once they cool back down they will work great for the rest of their life.

When I bedded my EBCs in- I did my slow downs out on Wildcat Reserve Pkwy (for those HR peoples) at night. There was a slight tail wind when I was going one direction and a stinky (but somehow so sweet smelling) cloud would roll passed my car and fill up my head lights when I slowed down to nearly a stop.[/b]

Ya, I bedded them,, I did 8 slow stops from 30-35mph and then 4 hard stops from about 45mph,,, they are a great investment and I cant wait til I get the rears done next week..

Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:14

I'll be swapping out pads when I do the lines. I thought it would be today, but my neighbor is working on his '67 Mustang in the post next to mine in the garage. A little too much exhaust in the garage. Suppose I'll paint the calipers, too. Hehe.

DemonOfTheFall

Postby DemonOfTheFall » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:14

I am running Hawk HPS pds all around, Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted rotors, Rotora Stainless Steel lines and Motul RBF600 fluid. The improvement in braking performance was night and day! I would say my dusting level hasn't really gone down, but if I drove like I did with the stock setup it would likely be much lower. I find myself braking late and hard a lot more than I did before, the brake feel is just so nice now I can't help myself. Even at 100+ hard braking feels buttery smooth. The hawk HPS pads have OK cold bite. I would say the stock pads have much better bite when cold, however its not dangerously low or anything, they will still stop you plenty fast. Once you have them warmed up though they feel great, excellent bite and they reel you down reaalll quick!

So far the brakes are without a doubt the best mod I have done.

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:14

If you think the brakes are the best mod you've done, you should try upgrading the part that ACTUALLY stops the car: the tires.

http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/pulpfriction/pfpage1.html

And I just found this over on Tire Rack:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=87
It might just be a CYA on their part. But I've found that if you are going to be abusing your brakes on a track, the less expensive rotors are the way to go since they work just as good and are cheaper when you have to replace them more frequently.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Memphis @ Nov 12 2007, 11:24 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=10352]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Ya, I bedded them,, I did 8 slow stops from 30-35mph and then 4 hard stops from about 45mph,,, they are a great investment and I cant wait til I get the rears done next week..[/b]

so how are these brakes holding up a month later? Also have you noticed any change in brake dust (more or less) since the upgrade? ;)
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

memphis

Postby memphis » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6i_guy @ Dec 10 2007, 08:28 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=13667]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
so how are these brakes holding up a month later? Also have you noticed any change in brake dust (more or less) since the upgrade? ;)[/b]

So far they are doing pretty damn good.. I havent gotten around to doing the rears yet but hopefully soon.. as far as the dust goes I really havent paid much attention to tell you the truth. With the weather changing and all its kinda hard to since I dont really wash my car as much now..

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”