Alignment spec

Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
T-time

Alignment spec

Postby T-time » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:14

im re-posting this from another forum i post on because i need an answer quick

"Ok i have a pro-kit, the spc camber kit and koni yellow dampers.
i got the car aligned within factory spec before i went home on leave (i dont remember the exactly numbers but rear camber was def in spec), drove about 3000 miles and when i got back i saw that my rear tires were completely worn on the insides. (steel belt is clearly visible on both tires). the tires only had about 7500 miles on them before my trip and my trip was mostly highway.

either something came loose which ill find out tm when the shop checks it or it needs to be set positive of factory spec. it seems to make sense since the car is lower it will become negative quicker as the spring compresses.

anyone with a similar setup as me please chime in and let me know what yours was set to"
[size=84]Reclaim the Republic. Restore the Constitution.[/SIZE]

T-time

[url=file:///C:/Users/cory/Music/]they are set to 3/4 front and back. the problem is the car is at the bodyshop (long story my car got hit by a bus, busted up the side (didnt touch the rear tires) but they are doing a 4 wheel alignment via insurance so i dont think they are gonna want to put it on the rack, give me the specs, take it off, wait for me to figure out what to do, then give them what i want it set to.

edit:
reading the alignment spec thread, i am under the impression that i have the rear camber set to -1.5 to -1.8 have no problems with tire wear as long as my toe is as close to 0 toe on all 4 wheels as possible.
btw i drive this car daily, and do not do any serious track stuff, so my goal is tire wear that is as normal as possible. i have a pic coming of the tire wear momentarily

here
[URL=http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu122/cjtherriault/forum%20photos/?action=view¤t=748902b6.jpg]Image[/url]Image
[/URL]

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:14

as i remember when i re aligned you car the rears were -1.5 for the factory specs -1.8 will be pushing it. -1.3 - -1.5 should be you best option.

T-time

i have some people telling me the toe might have been off, could that have explained why the steering was off (slightly) also?
anyways im looking to go as low as i can without making the car handle like garbage on the highway, the tires that just got ruined were only 6 months old, now i need to buy 3 new tires (insurance is paying for the blown out 1 and they dont make them anymore anyways)

T-time

Postby T-time » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:14

so i have the alignment specs, they still have to dial it in a little to what i asked for but this is what its at now.

front left ____________ front right
actual before________ actual before
-1.4___ -1.4 __camber -1.4__ -1.5
.08 ___.16___ toe ____.08 __.23

rear left___________ rear right
actual before _____ actual before
-1.3 -1.2 __ camber_ -1.8 -1.6
.11__ -.58* __toe ___.07__ -.79*

* out of spec

so the toe was not set correctly in the rear, which i believe caused the tire wear.
what would i be justified in asking big-o to do.
i just paid 409 for 4 new tires. i think im entitled to be reimbursed for the 2 rear tires and the cost of the alignment, i also dont want the guy ian worked with to get in trouble but the manager agreed to let them do it knowing the car is lowered.

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:14

yea i set it off a little to correct you steering wheel cause you car is lowered i had to go a little off spec to where it would cause the least amount of tire wear.

T-time

Postby T-time » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:14

you did a favor for me and i dont know alot about alignment so i dont want to gonna argue with you, but those toe angles seem way out of range; and it looking at this sheet it couldnt be anything else because you had the camber well within range, actually you had everything else well within range. the tires should not have worn to the belt that quickly, i have a paper from when i took it to mazda saying i had 8 and 9 /32 of tread the same week i got it aligned at big o

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:14

were they? yea that alignment machine kinda sucks. they dont even maintain it properly. the springs probably settled in after the alignment and usually when they do that it throws off the alignment by a reasonable amount. i set the toe at about +.5 on both sides just enough to make it hit 0 once your springs settled in.

how bad was the toe? do yo have the specs where it sits at now? im curious

T-time

Postby T-time » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:14

before they aligned it total toe in the rear was -1.37 now it sits around .18
i think big o's machine is off hard core.

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:14

damn thats waaay out there. yea thats why i broke it haha. unfortunately got fired. but yea that place blows.

T-time

Postby T-time » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:14

how come you got fired? that machine deserved to be broken

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:14

yea i know it did, but the owner didnt like the fact that there was no alignment for a couple of days. plus i was thinking about quitting anyway since i was offered a better deal at aspen auto clinic.

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”