Rotors and Pads

Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
bellalyssa

Rotors and Pads

Postby bellalyssa » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14

It's time to replace the pads on my car and the rear rotors. I'm looking around at different brands to use and I wanted opinions. If I change the rear rotors, should I change the fronts too?

For the rotors I found these on tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?&make=Centric&model=Premium+Rotor&group=Premium+Rotor&autoMake=Mazda&autoModel=MAZDA3+s+5-Door&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=Without+TPMS&perfCode=A

I figured drilled or slotted would be pretty much unnecessary on my car.

I'm confused about which pads to get though. I want something that's good for aggressive street driving and maybe some autocross. I've heard mixed reviews about a lot of different brands so I kind of need some help with this one.

Thanks guys!
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14

I factory rotors. Brembo stock rotors are really good. I'm not sure about those. I really like my hawk hps pads.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14

Just out of curiosity... Did somebody measure the rear rotors and pads for you? When were your fronts last replaced? I ask, because the rears usually last a lot longer on cars I've owned in the past.
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14

AIM WO4 wrote:Just out of curiosity... Did somebody measure the rear rotors and pads for you? When were your fronts last replaced? I ask, because the rears usually last a lot longer on cars I've owned in the past.

very true. I usually go through at least two to three sets of fronts to one set of rears. If the rears are going that quick, I would check and see if the parking brakes are not disengaging all the way.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

bellalyssa

I don't think the rears have been replaced in a long time. I just had a friend check out my brakes during the drive this weekend because my car was shaking like none other when I was on the brakes. He said the fronts looked fine, but that the rears needed to be replaced and the pads needed to be done. Chances are I will be taking a closer look tonight when I can get to my friend's shop.

tbot

Postby tbot » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14

I would go w/ the hawk hps pads. Kinda like we talked about this weekend. Looks like your buddy knows what he's talking about, I would go with his advice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Justin

Postby Justin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14

I'll second (third?) the suggestion for Hawk HPS. I've also run EC Green Stuff on my former Subaru and was happy with those. You'll likely be happy with most of the quality street oriented sport pads out there. If you're looking for a regular rotor, your auto parts store will likely have a viable option. The ones you linked look fine as well for similar money.

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14

If the shaking is felt through the steering wheel (side to side)... It would be front rotors. The backs usually don't get "cooked"... that vibe would feel more like a rear end tire out of balance.

bellalyssa wrote:I don't think the rears have been replaced in a long time. I just had a friend check out my brakes during the drive this weekend because my car was shaking like none other when I was on the brakes. He said the fronts looked fine, but that the rears needed to be replaced and the pads needed to be done. Chances are I will be taking a closer look tonight when I can get to my friend's shop.
AIM WO4

[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]

bellalyssa

AIM WO4 wrote:If the shaking is felt through the steering wheel (side to side)... It would be front rotors. The backs usually don't get "cooked"... that vibe would feel more like a rear end tire out of balance.

Alrighty, well we are going to check everything out tonight and see exactly what's wrong. Hopefully it's an easy fix, if not, it seems like everything is relatively inexpensive to replace.

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14

brembo blanks and ebc green stuff.

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14

You probably just need to machine the rear rotors. And if you don't have a NEED for high performance pads, I would just go with the Mazda value line pads. If it turns out you need to change the rear rotors because they can't be machined any further, Mazda also sells a value line rotor.

bmwzoom

Postby bmwzoom » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:14

bellalyssa wrote:I don't think the rears have been replaced in a long time. I just had a friend check out my brakes during the drive this weekend because my car was shaking like none other when I was on the brakes. He said the fronts looked fine, but that the rears needed to be replaced and the pads needed to be done. Chances are I will be taking a closer look tonight when I can get to my friend's shop.

I had the same shaking issue on my M6.... I just had Dave (4doord) resurface them and they were good as new. Sometimes, I hear, that there can be a point of no return if they are too badly worn. He said mine was probably caused from all the high speed mountain cruises with the sharp turns and downhill speeds. Another reason why I stayed back behind Tbot a good ways during the cruise... well that and because he thought it was fun to have his AWD spin out on loose gravel :lol: Love ya T.

tbot

Postby tbot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:14

I apologized!!! Besides i didn't think you were RIGHT behind me at that point cause u weren't most of the rest of the trip...but then I looked behind me right after that happened and sure as shit...there you were, eating my rocks!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:14

Did you get this resolved Lyssa?
AIM WO4

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”