Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
Dange

ordering suspension this weekend

Postby Dange » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:14

allrighty i have a few options.
raceland coilovers ~$250
H&R race spings ~ $250
Vmaxx (flyinmiata) ~ 500

raceland coilovers. supposedly better than the bilstien/H&R race spring combo on a first gen, according to both a member here and a guy i know over on mazdaspeed that owns both a modded atom , a MSM w/ ohlins and a firstgen with these
problem. these Chinese knock offs may be better than stock on those, but what about my msm's mazdaspeed springs and bilstien shocks. and on the plus side the ability to corner weigh my car (if i can find a shop that does it) is tempting, it has springrates of Front 425 and Rear 350 about the same of my last miata, and i loved it

Vmaxx coils - Basically flyin miata, the say all of miata knowledge and performance, was approached with a set of chinese coilovers then changed the spring rates and bumpstop design to their liking.
downfall they are softer than the racelands at 391 lb/in in the front and 258 lb/in in the rear and nearly 2.5 times the price

and the H&R race springs, liked by some and some others called it harsh built they are made for the Mazdaspeed specifically and h&r is a well known and reputable company

here's a pic of the H&R and about the same setting id use on the two coilovers
04MSMGT

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:14

H&Rs. Chris' car (the one pictured) handles great and look great too.

The words "Chinese knockoffs" don't make you cringe?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

Dange

Postby Dange » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:14

it does, but FM knows what they are doing.. they are the ones that supplied the engine and bits to make the only 800+ hp miata and daily have their equiptment tracked and winning so it was an option
04MSMGT

erod550

Postby erod550 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:14

I have the Racelands and I'd recommend them to anyone as a budget setup, especially if you're replacing blown stock suspension or if you just want to go low. They handle great to me but I've never had good aftermarket springs/shocks so I'm sure they don't handle as well as a set of FM springs/Illuminas. I'll be changing to those down the road but didn't have the money to do it right away and so far I'm very happy with the Racelands.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:14

wow thats a sexy stance

Dange

Postby Dange » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:14

yeah i met chris once, literally two days after getting my mazdaspeed. hes the one that convinced me to go with begi as my intake after seeing his... though last time i saw it, it wasnt lowered though O.o
04MSMGT

rmeeker13

Postby rmeeker13 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:14

H & R's look awesome!
GT28-COBB AP-COBB SRI-TURBOSMART EBOOST2 EBC-JBR SSP-CP-E DP-CP-E INLET-CP-E 3'' CB-ETS IC-DNP MANI-TIAL 44MM EWG-OEM BPV-AWR RRM-SURE DREADNAUGHT-EIBACH SL SPRINGS-KONIG ZERO'S-GREDDY OCC-NGK 1 STEP COLDER PLUGS
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”