Steering feel changes with wheel change

Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
RedRoadster

Steering feel changes with wheel change

Postby RedRoadster » Wed May 05, 2010 9:14

Putting the summers back on, I was reminded again that the 15s I use for the summer change the steering feel rather dramatically. It's like a very positive camber, where the wheel pulls hard back to straight when you are holding a turn, speed independent. The 14s that I use for winter are very neutral, requiring very little effort to hold a turn. The 15s are only a 5mm difference in offset from the 14s. My initial thought it to get a new alignment done with the 15s on, but I don't want the 14s to be super squirrely when I put them back on later this year...

Thoughts?
95 Classic Red Miata - 'Kona'
Racing Beat Sways, AEM WB O2 sensor, ACT clutch, Ground Control Springs, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat bumpstops, 95 stock 14s (winter) or 99 sport 15s (summer)
Flyin' Miata stuff:
FM II Link GT2560R turbo, Butterfly brace, N/A dual exhaust, Oil filter relo kit, Rear shock mounts

08 Sunlight Silver Mazda 3s GT Sedan - 'Tuna'
OEM Wing spoiler, Sirius and Media switcher

05 Onyx Black Mazda 6i Hatchback - 'Smokey'

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Wed May 05, 2010 9:14

I've always been told to do an alignment when you put new sized tires on. Maybe go to a shop and ask their opinion though.
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

erod550

Postby erod550 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:14

Yea I generally get the car realigned every time I swap the tires. It's only $45 at Brakes Plus and only takes an hour or so. But it may not be that. Different wheel/tire combinations can feel very different. I know when I had my '90 Civic hatch and I went from the stock 13" steelies with 165/70 tires to 16" alloy wheels with 205/40 tires it was a HUGE difference in steering feel. Obviously that was a more drastic change than you're talking about, but just giving an example.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Wed May 05, 2010 9:14

Well, any time you change wheel or tire size, it's going to feel different. Usually that's due to a difference in diameter, width or weight (especially weight). Depending on what kind of tires you had on the 14s, your 15s are probably heavier than your 14s, which puts more stress on the steering rack and all the front suspension components. However I think the mid-turn sensation you're experiencing is probably more likely due to front toe being off...I'd have a front alignment done, like others have said it's not too expensive and you'd only really need to have the front done.

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”