Time for brakes...

Technical Discussion about suspension and brakes
Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14

Well, I'm not technically done, as I haven't installed anything yet. Nor have I swapped wheels/tires either. The cost associated with that will keep that at bay for a bit. Soooo, I decided that when I have my car apart when I finally get to the suspension, I'll swap out the pads, finally put on the stainless lines, and, well, that's about it. I thought about rotors, and still MIGHT do that as well, but braking performance seems ok, other than the RX-8 squeal.

And pad suggestions? Has anyone used anything OTHER than Hawks? I was thinking of installing speedbleebers when I did the brake lines. Any reason not to?

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14

then your a liar! How can you be done if you haven't started!
Heavy duty adjustable dog leashes
http://www.TitanTuff.com

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpeedRacer @ Jan 29 2008, 01:11 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=21239]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
then your a liar! How can you be done if you haven't started![/b]

I agree the title is a bit misleading, but I assume you meant done deciding what your are going to do?
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Huzer21

I'm done with ordering parts for it! I'm just a parts hoarder, I don't actually install anything. So I'll change the title to "Done procuring the necessary items to complete the suspension modifications on the 2004 RX-8".

Anyone have any actual feedback relevant to the questions asked? Sheesh.

SpeedRacer

LONGEST TITLE EVER!

Huzer21

I dunno what you're talking about.

SpeedRacer

hahaha nice cover up!

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14

Speed Bleeders are great. I've seen a couple fail though- the check valve leaks air while you're bleeding. They still hold like a normal bleeder when they are closed. They make bleeding the brakes a one person job.

Are EBC Greenstuff pads available for the RX-8? I have a set on my Protege and I used a set on my Saturn. They are a great street performance pad and can handle some light abuse well. If you push them hard on a road course.... they overheat and my set on my Saturn started to chunk away. Didn't alter my opinion on them though as I bought my Protege set after I chunked the Saturn's. BUT, they dust like crazy. And by crazy I mean "wash your wheels once a week CRAZY". Their cold bite is great.

As far as performance rotors.... I've never experimented with them. Few people that really push their car to the limits want to fork over the money for the expensive rotors because they tend to go through them so fast anyway because they use such an aggressive pad. There was an SAE article published a couple years ago that tested a blank rotor against a drilled rotor (may have been slotted). I did not buy the paper, but I can probably find the document number if you're interested.

Braided stainless brake lines- good choice there.

Brake fluid- what are you planning on using? I used ATE Super Blue on my Saturn and liked it alot. I also liked the cheaper Valvoline synthetic stuff you can find locally in autopart stores.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

Huzer21

I figured I'll pass on the rotors. I used to replace them by default when I bought older vehicles to play with, but don't think that's required here. I'm not into the "looks cool" factor of slotted/drilled/dimpled. That's not something I need to spend the money on.

They do make the Greenstuff pads for the RX-8. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $60-70 a set is what I've seen. Hawk HPS were around $60. Haven't looked at much else as of yet. As far as fluid, I was planning on either ATE Super Blue, or I've used the Valvoline SynPower in the past. Motul stuff is just too pricey for me.

Thanks for the speedbleeder feedback. I'll go ahead and get some for all of the lines.

RedRoadster

Postby RedRoadster » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14

I went from OEMs to Hawks and then back to the OEMs. The hawks actually dusted way too much for my liking. Granted, it's a Miata, not an 8. I've never really had a fade problem with the OEMs, so i must not be driving hard enough.
95 Classic Red Miata - 'Kona'
Racing Beat Sways, AEM WB O2 sensor, ACT clutch, Ground Control Springs, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat bumpstops, 95 stock 14s (winter) or 99 sport 15s (summer)
Flyin' Miata stuff:
FM II Link GT2560R turbo, Butterfly brace, N/A dual exhaust, Oil filter relo kit, Rear shock mounts

08 Sunlight Silver Mazda 3s GT Sedan - 'Tuna'
OEM Wing spoiler, Sirius and Media switcher

05 Onyx Black Mazda 6i Hatchback - 'Smokey'

Huzer21

The brake + clutch lines.

And my newly minted "CMZC" toobox.

SpeedRacer

I want steel braided brake lines

Huzer21

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpeedRacer @ Jan 29 2008, 07:03 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=21339]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I want steel braided brake lines[/b]

I got a great deal on those, $37 shipped from Cardomain. Heck, just the one clutch line (the one in the box) was $30.

SpeedRacer

wow nice!

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14

Very nice. Hear that the factory lines swell up and catch the cable. Want to get some myself. Oh and nice box.

ImageImage

Return to “Suspension, Steering, and Brakes”