winter set up

Tire and Wheel Discussion
kingtut

Postby kingtut » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MazdaTom @ Jul 23 2008, 08:00 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=57932]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
The thing with 16" wheels is that the available tire selection is kinda crappy and the prices are kinda high.

I went through something similar when trying to decide whether to run snows on my 16" factory wheels or get a set of 15" wheels and tires. Basically it all came down to tire replacement cost. When it was time to replace the first set of snows, the 15" package became cheaper overall (even after figuring in the cost of the wheels) so I went with a set of used 15" Konig wheels and some 15" tires.

I don't know what is available in 16" MS3 sizes or 17" MS3 sizes, so I can't say for sure. A little more sidewall is nice to help smooth out the bumps on snow packed roads, but not a deciding factor IMO.

And I've never not been able to drive when I wanted. Of course, I wasn't here for the big blizzards in 2006/2007. But this passed winter there wasn't any problems.[/b]

Hmmmm...interesting- I've just recently begun looking and the first post shows what I liked for the wheel and tire; although I'm sure there's many more options that I haven't seen yet. But as you say, I'm hoping their won't be many (if any) days that I physically won't be able to drive. Honestly, the AWD was nice...very nice, but it was never something that allowed me to get to work specifically-purely because of the AWD. It basically made me more confident and better able to manuever out of a potentially dangerous situations (aka get away from dumba-- Cali/Tex drivers [no offense])....also, I was able to go on back roads without worry when it was snow packed out. Other than that, the FWD should be fine :1465bd7f: .

....I'll continue my winter setup journey and be sure to post back up as I continue down my chosen path. :4b66535f:

Suggestions still gladly accepted!
one and one makes two, together we are free

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14

185's on 14" for the win!!!!
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

milehighspeed3

Postby milehighspeed3 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14

For the speed3 I think there are 2 ways to go: A: you downsize the wheel to 16 or 17 and buy winter tires or B: you keep the stock 18's and buy winter tires.
the cost is pretty close, the 16 or 17 tires are much cheaper then the 18 winter tires in our size, but then you have to buy new wheels so it comes out about a wash. Going with steal 16's is the cheapest, but I don't like how that looks.

I kept the stock wheels on for winter and got a decent set of winters and didn't have any problems. The stock Bridgestones will not give you anything in the snow or ice and are a major hazard, i.e. do not use them...

bobopud

Postby bobopud » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:14

Do 16" clear the rotors and brakes on an MS3? I know 16" wheels won't work on a MS6 for that reason.

I am assuming that since no one has brought it up yet, that you can fit 16's. In that case, go with the dedicated winter set up. Less damage to your summer rims and it is an easy swap out with no expense in the spring an fall, just need a jack and a torque wrench.
2006 SPEED6 Liquid Platinum Sport w/ Nav
Mods Completed - VG Sharkfin, 3M Clear Bra, SU Motor Mount, SU Test Pipe, 35% tint, VEI Digital Boost Gauge, Custom Defrost Vent Pod, PG Exhaust Manifold, CPE Turbo Inlet Pipe, CPE FMIC, Hacked Mazdaspeed CAI into SRI, Synapse BOV, Cobb Accessport EMS Tuner, CPE Dual 3" Catback Exhaust
Mods Needed - Catted Downpipe and finally a tune.

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:14

I have a set of Protege 16" wheels available for a test fit if anyone is interested.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

Zebra67

Postby Zebra67 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bobopud @ Jul 25 2008, 10:09 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=58232]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Do 16" clear the rotors and brakes on an MS3? I know 16" wheels won't work on a MS6 for that reason.

I am assuming that since no one has brought it up yet, that you can fit 16's. In that case, go with the dedicated winter set up. Less damage to your summer rims and it is an easy swap out with no expense in the spring an fall, just need a jack and a torque wrench.[/b]

I agree with the summer / winter setup. I ended up doing the same thing because the Bridgestones that came on the car said not to drive them on snow or ice. I ordered some of the Michelin X-Ice tires from Discount to use in the winter and I had excellent results with them during the inclimate weather days. The other nice thing is that they were not too noisy on the dry pavement and still allowed some fun during "play time!"

Return to “Tires and Wheels”