MS3 Snow tires & wheels, budget solution...

Tire and Wheel Discussion
Tremek

MS3 Snow tires & wheels, budget solution...

Postby Tremek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:14

Looking at TireRack.com, snow tires were priced pretty high and performance winter rubber was looking even worse. Discount Tire and any of the other local shops were 25% higher or more. So after reading various posts and suggestions I decided 17" rims would be a fairly good option, essentially the same price or cheaper than 16" steelies if I found the right set.

So with the power of Craigslist, 17" x 7" alloys off of another poster's Mazda6 + a set of slightly used 215/50 R17 Dunlop Winter Sport M3s means I'm set for the winter. I think I got this done just in time (as it's supposed to snow tonight!) and for $500+ less than new 17" rims and Winter Sport M3s, and don't have to consider driving on the stock Potenzas which are reputed to be downright dangerous at freezing temps or below. The setup's even less costly than 16" steelies & cheap winter rubber.

If it wasn't raining so hard outside right now I'd take a pic of the car, but overall I think the rims look decent on it and the rubber feels pretty good. I'll try to get a shot of it up soon. :D

tbot

Postby tbot » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:14

i hope it snows tonight!!! and stick anyways...i have a bet on it lol

Zwetty

Postby Zwetty » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:14

Anyone know of any places to get winter rubber cheap??? (Wanting Blizzaks) So far the best pricing I can find is either Discount Tire and TireRack. Or, if you know of a tire that is comparable and costs less that would be good too! Planning on doing many snowboard trips, so I'm gonna need good ones.

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:14

^No clue on a cheaper local solution, but i got Yokohama W Drives and they are awesome.
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Tremek

Postby Tremek » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:14

Zwetty wrote:Anyone know of any places to get winter rubber cheap??? (Wanting Blizzaks) So far the best pricing I can find is either Discount Tire and TireRack. Or, if you know of a tire that is comparable and costs less that would be good too! Planning on doing many snowboard trips, so I'm gonna need good ones.

I've been led to understand that Blizzaks are going to be way too mushy for most speed3 drivers... The Dunlops I put on mine aren't considered studless snow & ice tires, but performance winter tires, and while most reviews say they aren't AS grippy as Blizzaks or the like would be in the snow and ice, they are going to be good enough while still delivering excellent dry road performance - my week on these so far has borne this out.

You might want to consider looking at performance winter stuff before going down the studless snow & ice route... I brought up X-Ice tires to the Costco and Discount Tire guys, and both immediately recommended performance tires after knowing what the car was. YMMV.

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:14

Did you try going to Performance Tire on Santa Fe? Are you going w/ 17 inchers???

Zwetty wrote:Anyone know of any places to get winter rubber cheap??? (Wanting Blizzaks) So far the best pricing I can find is either Discount Tire and TireRack. Or, if you know of a tire that is comparable and costs less that would be good too! Planning on doing many snowboard trips, so I'm gonna need good ones.
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:14

I have X-Ice tires on my VUE- their sidewalls are pretty soft. Awesome tire though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

Zwetty

Postby Zwetty » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:14

AIM WO4 wrote:Did you try going to Performance Tire on Santa Fe? Are you going w/ 17 inchers???

Not going to 17" just going to use the stock rims. Does the Performance Tire place on Sante Fe have a website? I'll have to check out the Ice-X's, they are Michelin right?

tavisto

Postby tavisto » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:14

I would look at the Hankook Ice Bears. That is what I just ordered. I would highly recommend a 2nd set of rims for winter. Not only does it make it easier to switch, but stretching out your tires every season is not good for the bead in the long run. Also 18" tires are almost just as expensive as a full set of 17"s on wheels. I just got a set from Discount for $1200 out the door. Just my $.02
--- Tavisto
    '08 1/2 Black Mica Mazdaspeed 3 GT
  • 18% tint
  • ?
  • Profit!

milehighspeed3

Postby milehighspeed3 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:14

Stuck my winters back on today. They are 18" winter performance, I had them on last year and was happy with them.

Return to “Tires and Wheels”