Requesting opinions on summer rubber

Tire and Wheel Discussion
Colombia28

Requesting opinions on summer rubber

Postby Colombia28 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14

I am in need of some new dedicated summer tires for my drive out to Cali at the end of March. I have narrowed my choices down to 2, but am now stuck and don't know which is the best. I spent over $800 on winter tires last year, and refuse to spend that much on my summer set, BUT i do not want to cheat myself or my car out of a good set of rubber.

So i am asking for your opinions, testimonials, and overall tire knowledge to help me choose the best tire for me out of the duo. All three have a better tread wear rating than the stock RE050's so that's a start. And i would say all are nicely priced for what i think they are.... Lets here what you think. Which would you choose and why? Why would you not choose one or more?

Thanks!

2. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=24WR8Z1SS&fromCompare1=yes&place=2

3. Kumho Ecsta MX
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+MX&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=24YR8EMX&fromCompare1=yes&place=4
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tbot

Postby tbot » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14

I'm still a big fan of my goodyear eagle gt's, even tho they aren't on your list :)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+GT

There's the tirerack link

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14

tbot wrote:I'm still a big fan of my goodyear eagle gt's, even tho they aren't on your list :)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+GT

There's the tirerack link

I appreciate the link, but i'm looking for a dedicated summer. I have a winter set, so i would like something that would kill me in snow.... :lol:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tbot

Postby tbot » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14

Understandable, just by looking at the test results/survey results I would go w/ the Dunlop's as they have a higher rating for the most part. The one's I posted appeared to be better than the Kumho's for the most part, and the bridgstone's look decent. The other thing to consider is the tread wear rating, and the Goodyears have the highest rating, which can't be a bad thing ;)

but i'm not trying to talk you into them or anything :)

METHLAB

Postby METHLAB » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:14

I'd go with Trojan's 20 series, yes, less rubber, but boy do they handle nice on the curves. :) (I apologize...I had to.)

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:14

Either #2 or #3. Both are on my short list for consideration as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

Just4fun

Postby Just4fun » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:14

I would lean towards 1 or 3. I have never had good luck with the wear on any Dunlop's. Went through one set in three months.

RedRoadster

Postby RedRoadster » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:14

I'd say 2 or 3. While my dunlop experience was with the SP8Ks, I'd hope that their quality holds up across their product line. And the Kumhos, while not great treadlife, were better than the Bridgestones that i've had.

And seriously, consider the General Exclaims. Several non-hardcore Auto-X's use them, and they are a great balance between grip and treadlife. and CHEAP!
95 Classic Red Miata - 'Kona'
Racing Beat Sways, AEM WB O2 sensor, ACT clutch, Ground Control Springs, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat bumpstops, 95 stock 14s (winter) or 99 sport 15s (summer)
Flyin' Miata stuff:
FM II Link GT2560R turbo, Butterfly brace, N/A dual exhaust, Oil filter relo kit, Rear shock mounts

08 Sunlight Silver Mazda 3s GT Sedan - 'Tuna'
OEM Wing spoiler, Sirius and Media switcher

05 Onyx Black Mazda 6i Hatchback - 'Smokey'

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:14

I have the Exclaims currently. They are OK.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4

mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:14

What size tire? I don't have any experience with the tires you posted but maybe I can help out anyway. I loved my BF Goodrich KDW2s, but they are a tad on the expensive side, and they don't have very much life. I have heard great things about Falken FK452s, they are relatively cheap and get great reviews. You might also consider the Continental ContiSportContact 3. I only have one thing I wouldn't recommend...I had Nitto NT555s on my G35 and didn't like them. Well, for street / occasional mountain driving they were fine, but I had them on track and they were useless there. Same goes for any lengthy sessions of spirited driving. Once they got hot they were like butter...sliding around, loss of steering response, and I felt every bump in the steering wheel.

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:14

I have the Fuzion ZRi on mine. Pop by the house if you'd like to see how they wear. I got them cheap at Peerless.
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

cprtrainer

Postby cprtrainer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:14

+1 on the BFG KDWS (the flame style tread). I had them on my blue 3- they were awesome! A bit of overkill for that car- I suspect they would be great on the speed. The only negative- they were a bit loud... but that's part of the deal with a summer tire. They were also killer in the wet- never an issue with H2O.

Outside of that, I would vote for the Kumho. They make great tires!

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:14

Tire size will be 225/40/18.

I scratched the Bridgestone off the list. Read some not so great reviews.

So now i'm down to two. The reason i narrowed to these two and not others, is these two are a great price. So i am leaning toward the Dunlop. Anyone object/think the Kumho is a better choice?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Rich

Postby Rich » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:14

Considering the Dunlops are rated higher than Advan AD07s or Eagle F1 Supercars, that's the route I'm going to go and will be suggesting to anyone. Plus, for the price, you can't beat them. If you're worried about tread life, you shouldn't be looking at that performance level.

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:14

Yep. It depends on what you want... sticky or tread life.
AIM WO4

[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]

[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

Return to “Tires and Wheels”