More Tire Questions Goodyear Eagle GT's

Tire and Wheel Discussion
Zuhalter

More Tire Questions Goodyear Eagle GT's

Postby Zuhalter » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:14

Looking at getting the Eagle GT's for the RX8. $711 installed. What do you all think? Good Price? Better suggestions?
The views discussed in this reply are not the views of the poster, the forum or anyone else. They are not meant to agree or disagree with anything contained in this post. If this post offended you in any way, you should quietly sob in the bathtub while wearing your mom's pantyhose.

milehighspeed3

Postby milehighspeed3 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:14

I'm looking at getting those for my speed3, good reviews at tire rack and decent price...

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:14

I just put a set of these on my car yesterday after reading the reviews and with the decent price point of 'em.

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:14

I'm getting those on my MS6 in mid-July. The reviews I've read -- both by professional reviewers and people driving with them -- are all pretty good. Supposed to be good in just about all conditions.
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:14

i too might be picking up a set shortly....my current set of yk520's, a 60k mile tire, are about done in 1/3rd that time....last winter was a scream and not in the good way.
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:14

picked up a set. I will update in about 10-15k miles
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14

I parked next to a winning blue RX8 (with the unfortunate condensation in the tail light issue) that also head the Eagle GTs on em. Popular tire, it seems. Don't forget to send in your rebate!

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14

rebate?
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14

Yup, there's a $20 mail-in rebate when you buy a set of 4. There was also an "instant" $20 rebate. You can download the form from Goodyear to print and mail in:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/cfmx/web/gytires/tire-promotions/Tire-Rebate/index.cfm?campaign=WebNPP1

Cesaros

Postby Cesaros » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14

i plan on getting these. i know a few people who have used them and all said good things.

probably around september, i use the stock RSA's right now.

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14

thanks for the link...I need to find my receipt now. :)
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14

Guess I'd better get them before they're all gone!
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:14

OK, here's my initial review of the Goodyear Eagle GTs:

First off, I got mine from Bob Penkhus Mazda at Powers Motor Park for $689 installed (it was actually $653, but they did a half-price alignment for me...). Went with 225 40 ZR18s. I kind of wanted 45s, since we have potholes galore around here, but I forgot to tell them that. They replaced my General Exclaim UHPs that wore out after...uh...11K miles. :(

Anyway, I put probably 50 miles on them so far, in around-town and highway driving, and a brief moment of off-roading (lol...see below).

First thing I noticed about the GTs was that they're quieter than the Exclaims. Way quieter. And they ride softer -- take bumps much less severely.

I also like the way they look -- aggressive, variable tread with a nice rim protector as well.

So far, I've only driven on dry roads with them, and while they're better than the Kumho Ecsta ASXs I had on my old 6, they're NOT as sticky as the Exclaim UHPs were. They're close--really close--but in tough turns they start to squeal a little sooner than the UHPs. There's one turn in particular, a sweeping 90-degree downhiller, on which I LOVE to push the MS6 to its limits. On the UHPs, when they had decent tread, I would get about an extra 5 mph out of them in the turn before they started to squeal. However, that could simply be due to weather conditions, surface conditions, etc at the time I tested the GTs. So I'll have to try it again a few times, but the results have been generally the same on the other turns I've taken with the new rubber.

Launching the car is different with the GTs than it was with the UHPs. With the UHPs, when they had tread, there was usually a little "chirp" and then the whole car jumped forward, often shuddering like the damn rear end was coming off. With the GTs, there's no chirp, no shudder, and a bit softer start. I'm betting that's because they're new and need some time to break in -- we'll see. It isn't necessarily a SLOWER launch...just a different one.

I did manage to do a quick slip test on some gravel on the side of Hwy 24 tonight. I was pulling off so I could turn around and head home, and ended up on some dirt and gravel. DSC was already off, so I gunned it. The GTs gripped MUCH better than the UHPs had on dirt or gravel, and it took a second or two to get the back end to break loose. Then I slid up onto pavement, and it only took the tires a second or two to bite the asphalt and right the car, even with DSC off. So at least on gravel/dirt, they seem like they're better tires than the UHPs. Not that I drive on those surfaces much...that's why we have a Jeep. :)

Hopefully we'll get some rain this weekend, so I can test out this allegedly GREAT wet-surface traction for these tires. Doesn't look like we'll get much snow this winter, but who knows? Maybe mother nature will cooperate...these things are supposed to have very good snow traction, as A/S tires go.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:14

Well, I obviously got to test them on wet roads today, and they COMPLETELY made up for the slight loss of dry road performance over the Exclaim UHPs. No hydroplaning, even when I hit a deep puddle at 45 mph. Sent water shooting probably 8 feet in the air on either side, but no noticeable loss of control. They held the wet surfaces nicely in turns, too -- much better than the UHPs did.
Stealth01

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:14

good to hear you like them. the tread is very aggressive and with the rim guard, I am glad i rolled my rear fenders.
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Return to “Tires and Wheels”