Torque Wrench?

Tire and Wheel Discussion
MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Fri May 08, 2009 9:14

Get a 3/8" drive. And one that ranges from about 25 ft-lbs to 250 ft-lbs.

The rent-a-tool program at Autozone works like this: you go in and put down a deposit on the tool (usually the cost of the tool just in case you don't bring it back), you take it home and use, when you are done you take it back to the store and they give you your money back. But who knows how well that wrench has been treated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

deepSpeedMS3

Postby deepSpeedMS3 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:14

ok kool. i may just buy one
B) deepSpeed MS3 B)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Going fast and looking good...it's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. EdgeAutosport.com [size=100]- [/SIZE]- [size=100]Supplying parts to all major imports [/SIZE] - Locally owned in Colorado

Regulator

Postby Regulator » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14

Gmoney wrote:Just buy one.......it will come in handy numerous times and yep mine is a hand me down Craftsman from my dad........about 15 years old and use it a good amount. I use it every time I remove my wheels.....I recheck them after a few days of driving, you would be surprised how many lugs lose their torque.:)

:o ... Reg goes to check his lugs
[color="Silver"]Old: 2004 Mazda6, 2006 MS6[/color]
New: 2010 EVO X MR - 400hp, 360tq

remarquian

Postby remarquian » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14

I have a 20$US 1/2" torque wrench from Harbor Freight. Not great quality, but it does the job the *rare* times I need it.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14

I've thought about picking up a torque wrench several times, but here are a couple of my concerns...

-In the Air Force, we have ours calibrated regularly. Does it need to be done often? I don't know, but if the AF is doing it, I figure it's a good idea.

-Who's to say you have a good brand? I would think the Craftsman wrench would be pretty good, but the one from Harbor Freight may be just as good and alot less expensive. But who's to say? Accuracy is something else you have to look at. How accurate is your torque wrench?

-I LOVE AutoZone's (and almost every other auto parts store) rent a tool program, but like it was mentioned, who knows how well that tool has been treated. If it's dropped, it needs to be recalibrated. At least that's how it is in the AF. Other than that, I like the AutoZone idea.

So, when I built my engine last March, I borrowed our torque wrenches from work HAHA.

remarquian

Postby remarquian » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:-In the Air Force, we have ours calibrated regularly. Does it need to be done often? I don't know, but if the AF is doing it, I figure it's a good idea.

I just googled, Here's a way to do it:

http://www.dieseldoctor.com/messageboard/data/229.html

PXRdriFT

Postby PXRdriFT » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:I've thought about picking up a torque wrench several times, but here are a couple of my concerns...

-In the Air Force, we have ours calibrated regularly. Does it need to be done often? I don't know, but if the AF is doing it, I figure it's a good idea.

-Who's to say you have a good brand? I would think the Craftsman wrench would be pretty good, but the one from Harbor Freight may be just as good and alot less expensive. But who's to say? Accuracy is something else you have to look at. How accurate is your torque wrench?

-I LOVE AutoZone's (and almost every other auto parts store) rent a tool program, but like it was mentioned, who knows how well that tool has been treated. If it's dropped, it needs to be recalibrated. At least that's how it is in the AF. Other than that, I like the AutoZone idea.

So, when I built my engine last March, I borrowed our torque wrenches from work HAHA.

I do not use the AutoZone program on torque wrenches because of the very reason you stated - you never know when it was last calibrated or if the last person dropped it from the roof of their car. If you care enough about what you are doing to actually use a torque wrench, then you should be pretty sure that the wrench you use is a good one. The only true way to be sure is to own it.

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14

snap-on ftw!! lol
its a bit pricey i know but will last a lifetime... kind of
i have a digital one i use ALOT at work and its extremely accurate

or just use the german torque spec. goo den tite

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:14

remarquian wrote:I just googled, Here's a way to do it:

http://www.dieseldoctor.com/messageboard/data/229.html

Good info, thanks for posting!

PXRdriFT wrote:I do not use the AutoZone program on torque wrenches because of the very reason you stated - you never know when it was last calibrated or if the last person dropped it from the roof of their car. If you care enough about what you are doing to actually use a torque wrench, then you should be pretty sure that the wrench you use is a good one. The only true way to be sure is to own it.

Yep! Other tools are fine, but torque wrenches are risky.

Return to “Tires and Wheels”