Tire shop-no idiots

Tire and Wheel Discussion
Justin

Tire shop-no idiots

Postby Justin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:14

Anyone able to recommend a good local tire shop? I've taken my car to 2 different Discount tires and they can't get my front tires balanced right. Today, the one in Longmont made my tires worse than they were before.

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:14

tire world??

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:14

The one up here in Loveland next to Gold's Gym is GREAT. There is a specific guy I have work on my wheels...and I feel stupid because I forgot his name, but he's the best. He's mounted 3 sets of tires on wheels for me, not a scratch.

That being said, the latest wheels I put on the FD aren't balanced right, so I'm bringing them back in either today or tomorrow.

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:14

what are the symptoms? I've had a tire that wouldn't balance- 3 different shops, static vs. dynamic balance, etc.. never did balance, ended up being a structural problem with the tire.

Justin

Postby Justin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:14

Pretty solid shimmy between 60 and 65mph. It's less on either side of those numbers. The tires are fairly worn, so it could be the tire. The discount guy today had to add an ounce and a half to the drivers front which was last balanced by the Discount in Broomfield about a week and a half ago.

bmwzoom

Postby bmwzoom » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:14

I know its a far drive, but my car always goes to Dave's shop in Littleton called ColoradoLand Tire off Wadsworth

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:14

Justin wrote:Pretty solid shimmy between 60 and 65mph. It's less on either side of those numbers. The tires are fairly worn, so it could be the tire. The discount guy today had to add an ounce and a half to the drivers front which was last balanced by the Discount in Broomfield about a week and a half ago.

Sounds like what I fought with- especially the worn part. One of the tire shops told me that parts inside the tire (belts?) can shift around, especially with "spirited" driving on a non performance tire, which is a good description of what I was doing. Sounded like BS at the time, but who knows. I'll have to ask one of the tire company folks next time there's tire support at an autox.

Have you checked for worn ball joints or other worn or loose suspension linkage? Could account for uneven wear on the tire which makes it necessary to rebalance so often.

CUE2's RX-8

Postby CUE2's RX-8 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14

Goodyear @ 92nd & Wadsworth. They just mounted and balanced my new wheels. Smooth ride and steering stays centered.

Return to “Tires and Wheels”